Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,836,939 times

Advertisements

I guess that Scoop has not read the medical article that states that red meat like beef causes cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 04:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
I guess that Scoop has not read the medical article that states that red meat like beef causes cancer.
It always has. We've known this for decades.

Michael Symon Isn't Interested in Your Meat-Centric Cancer Scare, WHO - Eater

Compare the cancer instances of red meat (30,000 worldwide annually) to smoking cigarettes or working with asbestos. And then get back to me.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,584,388 times
My uncle died of colon cancer believed to be heavily influenced by his love of processed red meats. Keep in mind though, he was eating that stuff on a daily basis. The daily basis part I believe to be the biggest contributor.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:21 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,918,074 times
Scoop, may I ask what seasonings you use for your steaks?

Old 10-30-2015, 05:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,049,575 times
I sear steak on a infrared inferno that reaches 1,600f. That's hot enough to melt salt. I season with only salt. Anything else would just turn to carbon. And then I crack some pepper on the steaks before allowing them to rest.

That's it.

If the meat is good enough, you don't need anything else. "Steak dinner" at my house usually means rib-eye (or rib-cap if I'm feeling ostentatious), or wagyu* from Artisanal if I have good friends over.

* wagyu translates directly to "our cow." That's it. It's just Japanese cows. Taking Japanese cows to Australia or Texas doesn't make them wagyu, any more than making sparkling wine from chardonnay grapes grown in New York makes it champagne. So while there is MUCH fraud involved with anything passing itself off as wagyu and kobe, the real-deal IS available in the US again.

The key is buying beef from trusted sources. Same with olive oil, parmesan cheese, jamon iberico and all the rest of the oft-counterfeited food out there. It's up to the consumer to educate himself or herself. Relying on vendors is a good way to be swindled.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:54 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,116,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I sear steak on a infrared inferno that reaches 1,600f. That's hot enough to melt salt. I season with only salt. Anything else would just turn to carbon. And then I crack some pepper on the steaks before allowing them to rest.

That's it.

If the meat is good enough, you don't need anything else. "Steak dinner" at my house usually means rib-eye (or rib-cap if I'm feeling ostentatious), or wagyu* from Artisanal if I have good friends over.

* wagyu translates directly to "our cow." That's it. It's just Japanese cows. Taking Japanese cows to Australia or Texas doesn't make them wagyu, any more than making sparkling wine from chardonnay grapes grown in New York makes it champagne. So while there is MUCH fraud involved with anything passing itself off as wagyu and kobe, the real-deal IS available in the US again.

The key is buying beef from trusted sources. Same with olive oil, parmesan cheese, jamon iberico and all the rest of the oft-counterfeited food out there. It's up to the consumer to educate himself or herself. Relying on vendors is a good way to be swindled.
Yum! Your guests are lucky people! Thanks for the info about the rib caps.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:28 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,822,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
My uncle died of colon cancer believed to be heavily influenced by his love of processed red meats. Keep in mind though, he was eating that stuff on a daily basis. The daily basis part I believe to be the biggest contributor.
Yes, as with everything else, moderation is the key. I've cut back and don't eat as much beef as I used to - but when I do eat it, I go for quality.

Bill

Old 11-01-2015, 01:37 AM

654 posts, read 1,327,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Maybe you were trying to set up Scoop, but I'll take the bait ... can you help us with which studies?

There's a lot of recent press regarding meat & cancer thanks to the WHO. While meat MAY cause a minor uptick in cancer rates, I've yet to see true science that isolates all the variables. Put another way: is it the meat that causes cancer or is it the lifestyle choices & patterns of people who consume large amounts or meat? How do you separate a sedentary (perhaps slovenly) lifestyle from copious meat consumption?

Put another way: I don't doubt there are higher instances of cancer across all groups of people that eat large amounts of meat. I'm not convinced there is a cause & effect relationship between meat & cancer. Correlation? Yes. Causation? No. Even IF you buy into Meat CAUSING cancer, it's a minor factor compared to smoking & so many other vices people enjoy in the modern world.

I've transitioned to a lifestyle where I eat more meat & actively pursue a good portion of fat in my diet along with green vegetables low in carbs. (Stuff high in Omega-3 fatty acids like Salmon is ideal, but it's hard to have that all the time.) I've dropped close to 40 pounds & haven't felt this good in many years (while I wasn't FAT before, I was carrying more weight than was ideal). I've had chronic pain related to a couple conditions in the past; now I am basically pain free. I feel like a college kid again. The key difference between me & a lot of the people involved in the meat & cancer studies is likely lifestyle; I make a concerted effort to get to the gym 3-4 times per week & try to live a balanced lifestyle. I suspect a lot of frequent meat eaters haven't trained their body to burn its own fat, so as a result of lot of those calories & that fat remains in their system. Over time, that may well have an effect on their health & well-being. As long as I'm doing many positive things for myself & my body, I'm perfectly willing to take my chances on a potential minor increase in cancer risk. Many, many things in life come with a certain degree of risk - like getting in a car & going to the store or work ...

While there may be some negatives to meat & it may cause a minor uptick in cancer rates (still haven't seen a conclusive study), I'd be FAR FAR more concerned about other diet choices like excessive sugar consumption. (Not to mention High Fructose Corn Syrup & the corn lobby.) It's not just the sugar itself, it's the trickle down effects; an example is yo-yo-ing blood sugar causing constant hunger (leading to obesity in many) & the related insulin spikes among other things causing wear & tear on your body. This is coming from someone who has been known for a sweet tooth for many years. Now that I've weaned off of it, my body has adjusted & I don't miss it any more (the sweetness is obviously nice, but I realize all the aftereffects & side effects & I'm much happier not dealing with them.)

I feel SOOO much better physically & find myself much sharper & more focused mentally these days. At a minimum, I know I'm helping myself with lower weight, better physical fitness & sharper mental acumen. THAT is a lot more important to me that a possible minor increase in cancer risk.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,066,128 times
The study is flawed. Meat is not the problem. The problem is sodium nitrite in processed meats. In other words, a fresh cooked steak, hamburger, chicken breast=good for you. Hot dogs, salami, bacon, roast beef=bad for you. Since the topic is organic grass fed beef, there is no health concerns at all to worry about.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:37 AM

8,435 posts, read 4,610,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
The study is flawed. Meat is not the problem. The problem is sodium nitrite in processed meats. In other words, a fresh cooked steak, hamburger, chicken breast=good for you. Hot dogs, salami, bacon, roast beef=bad for you. Since the topic is organic grass fed beef, there is no health concerns at all to worry about.
You're lumping roast beef in with processed meat? Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: