Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:35 PM

561 posts, read 681,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
My record has been clean for a long time.
They got me for 35 in a 25. The whole road is 35 except for that little section, and there's only one sign and it's half hidden behind a bunch of other signs and plants. I wasn't even on the gas, I was coasting (why I am getting 30mpg city in a car rated for 24mpg city)
Clark County Justice Court? Here's the standard knockdowns:
Attached Thumbnails
Las Vegas traffic ticket-20150917_132128.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:54 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
My insurance doesn't troll for tickets either...

Old 11-22-2015, 10:22 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times
I would just pay the ticket fixer. I am not good at fixing stuff myself. Don't blemish your record.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Nowadays ticket fixers are essentially worthless. About two years ago the insurance companies ask the state (or county?) to reform how they handled tickets or they would raise insurance rates to account for the fact that it was simply too easy to get out of a ticket.

Gone are the days of sweet deals where they could get you out of practically any ticket. There is now a standardized system that says violations of x points within y time of last violation get deal z. You can typically get exactly the same deal with no attorney, you just ask the court clerk at the window. I believe in some jurisdictions using a ticket fixer may give you the option of not taking traffic school in exchange for paying a higher fine.

Nowadays the first thing anyone should do before calling a ticket fixer is call the court and ask them what kind of deal they can offer if you plea no contest. Unless your ticket is really bad or you've had other violations recently then typically you just pay the fine, go to traffic school, and they'll amend the ticket to a non-moving violation with zero points and no effect on insurance. You don't need to wait until your court date and ask the judge. You just ask the court clerk and they'll handle it for you (call them before your court date of course!). You can then call the ticket fixer and ask what they can get you.

No reason to use a ticket fixer anymore.
this is true

i don't think too many people understand/know of the changes and assume it's like the good ole days

Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 PM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Nowadays ticket fixers are essentially worthless. About two years ago the insurance companies ask the state (or county?) to reform how they handled tickets or they would raise insurance rates to account for the fact that it was simply too easy to get out of a ticket.

Gone are the days of sweet deals where they could get you out of practically any ticket. There is now a standardized system that says violations of x points within y time of last violation get deal z. You can typically get exactly the same deal with no attorney, you just ask the court clerk at the window. I believe in some jurisdictions using a ticket fixer may give you the option of not taking traffic school in exchange for paying a higher fine.

Nowadays the first thing anyone should do before calling a ticket fixer is call the court and ask them what kind of deal they can offer if you plea no contest. Unless your ticket is really bad or you've had other violations recently then typically you just pay the fine, go to traffic school, and they'll amend the ticket to a non-moving violation with zero points and no effect on insurance. You don't need to wait until your court date and ask the judge. You just ask the court clerk and they'll handle it for you (call them before your court date of course!). You can then call the ticket fixer and ask what they can get you.

No reason to use a ticket fixer anymore.
Although you can get the exact same deal, you can also pay someone to do it for you, thus saving you the time to drive to the RJC, the parking, the sit-and-wait time, and the time to drive back. For many people, that time is worth more than $50.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
My record has been clean for a long time.
They got me for 35 in a 25. The whole road is 35 except for that little section, and there's only one sign and it's half hidden behind a bunch of other signs and plants. I wasn't even on the gas, I was coasting (why I am getting 30mpg city in a car rated for 24mpg city)
in a city full of people racing from one stop light to another, unless you were in a school zone, its just ridiculous how many of these low speed or sudden changing speed limit traps there are out there.

living in the NW, there are several streets with 35 limit and there are people flying by me all the time doing at least 50 and getting mad at me for obeying the law. where are the cops then?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Well, my road is pretty much ends behind my house. People drag race all the time. That is why they set up the speed trap. Unfortunately, no one drag races at 6pm. They do it between 10pm and 2am.
So they set up a speed trap to catch drag racers and got a family in a Kia Soul doing 35. Success!!!!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
And yet they're doing donuts half a mile away near my house when school lets out.

I've told local cops all they need to do is run a speed trap on my street between 1:30 and 3pm and they can net all the high-school scofflaws they want.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I work up in NLV near the college, and one of my co-workers, who recently moved her from GA to live with her father, has been hit 2X in the last 3 months in NLV, once for going 7MPH over and another for not signaling properly. And her father has also racked up some traffic fines, for just minor things, up in NLV.

So I told her, that NLV is teetering on bankruptcy, and they need all the revenue they can get, to keep their police officers paid up, so thus the tickets for such minor offenses.

So sorry, EA you got a ticket! Is there anything more infuriating, knowing full well it's all about producing revenue!

I'm with State Farm and that's good to read that they're not ticket trollers, as I got that ticket up in Hawthorne, on my trip to Oregon in August. I've been with State Farm all my life, and I'm bracing for my premium notice next month. And if they should dare to increase my premium, as a result of it, it will be Good bye to State Farm, including my house insurance!

Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
I once got a ticket for going 2 miles an hour over the speed limit. I kid you not. I told the surly cop I didn't think it was even possible to tell the difference between 35 and 37 on my non-digital speedometer. He didn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas