Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 12:38 PM

44 posts, read 52,672 times

Advertisements

Posted before about this but it got blocked or something for some reason. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Tevare community in Summerlin made by KB homes. It's extremely new, I think they started building it one year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 11:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
I don't know about Las Vegas but in Arizona KB Homes has the reputation of building sub-par housing. They keep their prices on the lower end by cutting a lot of corners. Here's an obvious example: Where I live most of the homes have tile roofs (if they're not flat). Then you'll come across one development that has shingle roofs. Those are the KB Homes. Go inside and you'll see lots of other features that to anyone who knows anything about construction, or even buying home fixtures, the selections are low-grade.

I live in a Pulte Home, much better than KB but still not the top of the heap. In the first ten years the house existed, I had to have every inch of it repainted (exterior and interior). I had to replace every appliance, every faucet, most of the light fixtures, the carpeting, the AC compressor, and I had to have repairs to the furnace (which is hardly ever used) and the garage door. Now the house is fifteen years old and the toilets both had to go as well as the ceiling fans and the rest of the light fixtures (including in the closets). I can't imagine what I'd have been dealing with in a KB home. Windows, all flooring, and roof, too, I'd expect.

Perhaps KB has a division of better-quality homes and the development you speak of is part of it. Tevare appears to have tile roofs but make sure it's real tile and not a tile-looking "product." Go and look closely and I suspect you will be able to tell a lot if you can see past the shiny surfaces of new houses. Sure the carpet looks new, but what grade of padding is under it, for example. Look at the bathroom faucets. Are they the ones that cost $29.99 at Home Depot? If so, the builder paid $9.99 for them, if that. After all, they bought tens of thousands of them. Are the cabinets real wood or particle board with a picture of wood on the exterior? Do the laminate floors click when you walk on them? Etc., etc.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
And if there are houses under construction look at them without sheet rock on the walls. Check the quality of the plumbing, wiring, thickness of insulation, grade of wood, etc.

If you are not comfortable doing this contact an independent inspector and have them accompany you. Take notes or video the visit. They should give you a written report, but having video or pictures of what is in it will be helpful.

The cost of the inspection is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll pay for the house.

I have an inspector we used twice. Very, very thorough and he will take the time to clearly explain everything he finds. PM me if you want his contact info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: