Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM

20 posts, read 53,091 times

Advertisements

This would be a primary residence. I thought about the months where the sun's distance is measured in yards, and I was just looking at Mt. Charleston as a getaway, rather than a 4 hour drive to Prescott, AZ. Guard gated is a must, as we are both arriving at our 60's. As to Mt. Charleston, I found it literally from looking at Google earth, then checking climate data. I have no idea if one's cottage would be ransacked by tweakers if empty for months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 01:19 PM

20 posts, read 53,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
ScoopLV is partially right, zip code data doesn't tell the whole story especially if it is not current, but it's not something to totally disregard, especially for someone who is starting their look from out of state.

There are many safe places to live in Vegas. Use your common sense and look at the neighborhood your considering. ask yourself the following questions. depending on the answers, you should get an idea of what you are looking at.

Realtors are not allowed to disparage neighborhoods so don't expect them go into detail regarding crime in a neighborhood.

Below is a list that was posted in part before which speaks to ScoopLV's suggestion of observation.

1. Do the homes, or lower apartments have bars on the windows?
2. Are there dysfunctional cars parked in driveways?
3. Is there garbage thrown about in the streets and yards?
4. Is there a major bus route stop?
5. Is there an elementary school within walking distance?
6. Is there a high school within walking distance?
7. Is the neighborhood on the flight path for McCarren Airport?
8. Is the neighborhood on the flight path for Nellis?
9. Is there graffiti on any of the walls encompassing the community?
10. How many roads/highways give access to the community in case 1 gets closed?
All great questions, I would also add do a google earth snoop of the neighborhood and neighboring 'hoods' to look for truck farms, and other Cletus and Daquan sort of stuff. We are sticking to guard gated only, as gate guarded just means thieves have to follow another car in...

Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM

26 posts, read 26,148 times
I'm definitely thinking Summerlin. It's accessible to Mt. Charleston, and the Downtown Summerlin complex has a Trader Joe's that's not always crowded yet.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,961 times
Don't overlook Spanish Trail and Spanish Hills in Spring Valley. Both are good options.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeoc View Post
This would be a primary residence. I thought about the months where the sun's distance is measured in yards, and I was just looking at Mt. Charleston as a getaway, rather than a 4 hour drive to Prescott, AZ. Guard gated is a must, as we are both arriving at our 60's. As to Mt. Charleston, I found it literally from looking at Google earth, then checking climate data. I have no idea if one's cottage would be ransacked by tweakers if empty for months...
What??!

Old 01-11-2016, 01:05 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
The Green Valley Ranch area south of the 215 reminds me exactly of a lot of places in Orange County. It's like a Tustin or Irvine in the desert. Homes range from nice to super-nice.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,315 times
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...arket=lasvegas

Old 01-12-2016, 01:39 AM

927 posts, read 883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Anyone who relies on a zip code and not on observation deserves whatever befalls him or her. Shame on those who foster this unbelievably shallow metric.
Just wanted to make clear - even though I am typically in agreement of your views of the quality of life in Vegas - there exists hypocrisy when using Vegas metro data to make claims about living here, but then being against using zip code data to make a claim about a neighborhood.

In both instances there are examples of samples not being representative of it's population.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:06 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Just wanted to make clear - even though I am typically in agreement of your views of the quality of life in Vegas - there exists hypocrisy when using Vegas metro data to make claims about living here, but then being against using zip code data to make a claim about a neighborhood.
Compare Tomiyasu Lane to the rest of 89120.

Las Vegas is a patchwork of good and bad neighborhoods -- sometimes directly abutting each other. The good part of 89110 is a great place to live. The bad part of 89110 is one of the worst sections in this city.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
East side and downtown. Try something new. Henderson and Summerlin are overcrowded. And no one wants to move to NLV. And we like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas