Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times

Advertisements

Food stamps would be $649/month maximum for a family of four. A single person has a maximum benefit of $194.

Section 8 has a multi-year waiting list in Las Vegas.

Any families of four receiving maximum food stamp benefits are barely scraping by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
Food stamps, rent assistance (section 8 or other) energy assistance, welfare, and other programs.

1,000 a month rent is 12,000 alone. Minimum wage brings home 11k~ You're already ahead there.
600 a month in food stamps 7200. 18,200. That's just 2 of the programs.

In many states, welfare can pay better than an honest day

Old 04-03-2016, 09:38 PM

85 posts, read 63,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post

Any families of four receiving maximum food stamp benefits are barely scraping by.
If they aren't working, they're going to get maximum benefits, right? You can't really do worse than no job.

My sister in law is a government mooch. She's been getting grants going to school for the entire 14 years I have been with her sister. She has her mother, brother, and son living with her. They live off welfare, food stamps, and section 8. She has 5 degrees now, and plans to just keep milking the system.
Why work for 30k when you can not work and live just as well if not better off the system?

Old 04-03-2016, 11:25 PM

55 posts, read 86,905 times
Quote:
If they aren't working, they're going to get maximum benefits, right? You can't really do worse than no job.

My sister in law is a government mooch. She's been getting grants going to school for the entire 14 years I have been with her sister. She has her mother, brother, and son living with her. They live off welfare, food stamps, and section 8. She has 5 degrees now, and plans to just keep milking the system.
Why work for 30k when you can not work and live just as well if not better off the system?

What's the purpose for all the degrees if she is not going to put them to use. I have a college degree and still cant get a job in my field. I have 10 years customer service experience. I got terminated due to their attendance policy, getting sick on the job and being transported to the hospital. I'm currently getting food stamps but im not on section 8. I apply for every job possible and can't even get a min wage paying job. People are so judgmental but they shouldn't judge a book by its cover. People don't know what others are going through or why they are on welfare. They can't assume that everyone on welfare is lazy and refuse to work. Now there are people out there who are lazy and are completely comfortable with the state taking care of them but others don't have a choice. I think it would be helpful for the government to offer job placement to people on welfare to reduce the amount of assistance they are given out. I would definitely rather work but it's harder than people may realize to find a job. The people who is refusing to even try to look for work make the rest of us look bad.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:51 PM

I know. We have cut off contact with them. They are despicable people. I think she just likes being in class with other people and not having to work. I've been tempted to turn her in but I don't want to get stuck with her rotten kid.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
After the boom went bust in the housing market, investors snapped up most of the homes and decided it would be fun to rent them out to section 8 people. That I think is one of the reasons the better area's have been going downhill for awhile. It would explain the increase in crime that started around November of last year as well all over the valley.
I always know to avoid the stores, especially Winco in the first few days. Of course we do not shop there very much at all these days. They need more organic produce that at least compares to Smiths offerings.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
It's easy to work the system and live a modest comfortable life without punching a time card if you know how. There is plenty of charity out there to fill the gaps and cracks that the government does not cover. Personally I think it all comes from the home up-bringing these days. The majority of the professional millennials I have come across in the workplace that are college educated think they are entitled in the work place to not produce and take it easy. Ones that have not found employment yet are beneath taking entry level positions. Then you have the hood rat millennials that think they are entitled to a comfortable life without working through government assistance. Too much of the entitlement attitude running muck in today's society.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:25 AM

I'm so sick of the millennial hate. Especially from the generations that could go from high school to a middle class paying factory job that afforded them a house.

Now, we have people who have spent 2-4 years in school to get a degree to get a job that pays so little they have to get food stamps. It's ridiculous. It's not entitlement to expect an adequate wage from doing what you were coached to do all through elementary, middle, and high school, which is go to school, get a degree, then buy a house.
When these entry level jobs you think they should just take don't pay enough to live let alone live and pay back the massive student loan debt, it's BS. I wouldn't do it either. If the millennial's parents didn't allow elected officials to sell our jobs to China, and then crash the economy irresponsibly buying houses they couldn't afford, maybe these millennials wouldn't sound so entitled to you because they'd be making adequate wages.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:

I recall a novel from 40 years ago where the first third or so was documenting the life of a professional student. His parents died, and their will stipulated the estate would pay for his education and living expenses so long as he remained a full-time undergraduate student. Once he graduated, the balance went to charity.

So he kept being a full-time undergraduate student. The university became somewhat embarrassed by him, so they implemented policies to force him to graduate. He responded by frequently switching majors ensuring he never quite fulfilled all the requirements for a degree in any specific field. It was a fun dance between the administration and the student.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
I'm so sick of the millennial hate. Especially from the generations that could go from high school to a middle class paying factory job that afforded them a house.

Now, we have people who have spent 2-4 years in school to get a degree to get a job that pays so little they have to get food stamps. It's ridiculous. It's not entitlement to expect an adequate wage from doing what you were coached to do all through elementary, middle, and high school, which is go to school, get a degree, then buy a house.
When these entry level jobs you think they should just take don't pay enough to live let alone live and pay back the massive student loan debt, it's BS. I wouldn't do it either. If the millennial's parents didn't allow elected officials to sell our jobs to China, and then crash the economy irresponsibly buying houses they couldn't afford, maybe these millennials wouldn't sound so entitled to you because they'd be making adequate wages.
The best Rx for millennials with degrees who are either un-employed or under-employed is substantial economic growth... yet millennials by and large support Presidential candidates who propose policies that are anti-growth. Millennials are poised to vote against their own interests.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 AM

160 posts, read 163,246 times
Quote:
You could do that, but be prepared for a huge increase in crime.

There's, at least, 17 million people looking for jobs. There's currently 5 million available jobs. 3 million of those jobs pay less than 15 an hour. The bulk of them are minimum wage or just a few cents over. When you take away people's standard of living and give them options like MAYBE get a minimum wage job that won't even cover basic living, they are going to resort to criminal activities.

45 million Americans are on food stamps. Cut off 45 million people from their ability to procure food, and it's going to get ugly fast.

Even more dire, there's 109 million people on welfare. That means there are more people on welfare than there are people working full time.

Cut income from 1/3 of the country and feces are going to hit the fan with such force it sheers the blades off.

5 million open jobs, 109,000,000 who will need more income = bad.

America needs jobs that pay adequately. Even the lowest skilled worker needs to make enough income to sustain a modest standard of living without the need for government subsidization.

Thank you for telling the truth. Driving a bus for $11 is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: