Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times

Advertisements

what about the rain, is that alkaline?

i understand rain is supposed to be acidic, around 5.5 PH

but it recently rained a lot and my pool's ph level rose... same thing happened when i refilled my pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 01:50 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
I think the tap water is around 8.0-8.2 pH, but I've never tested it, just my pool. Expect to have to add acid after topping off your pool.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:49 PM

848 posts, read 648,421 times
I used my Taylor pool water test kit to see what the chlorine and pH were for our tap water. We live in Henderson. I got around 8.0 for the pH and about 1 ppm for chlorine. I also tested the water from the water softener and got around 7.8 for the pH and 0 ppm for chlorine.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:31 PM

561 posts, read 681,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
what about the rain, is that alkaline?

i understand rain is supposed to be acidic, around 5.5 PH

but it recently rained a lot and my pool's ph level rose... same thing happened when i refilled my pool
Aeration will cause your pH to increase. In a chemical sense, your pool has plenty of dissolved carbon dioxide in the water. CO2 plus water is carbonic acid. The pool water is deliberately over-carbonated (saturating the water with carbonates, as in sodium bicarbonate or baking soda, provides a pH buffer as well as some protection for plaster pools). However, this means that the carbon dioxide will slowly offgass into the atmosphere. Increasing the surface area of your pool increases the offgassing rate. So when all of those wonderful raindrops fall into your pool, they create a ton more surface area, and you lose carbonic acid when the carbon dioxide escapes, so your pH goes up. No biggie. Add a little muriatic acid, and you will be fine.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
Thanks for all the responses

Now im off to start my own business selling raw unfiltered alkalized las vegas water

Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
A local pool service -- Don’t Drain Your Pool -- runs your pool water through a mobile Reverse Osmosis system, returning very clean water to your pool (TDS at about 3 ppm), putting waste water containing all the hardness minerals from Lake Mead down the drain.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A local pool service -- Don’t Drain Your Pool -- runs your pool water through a mobile Reverse Osmosis system, returning very clean water to your pool (TDS at about 3 ppm), putting waste water containing all the hardness minerals from Lake Mead down the drain.
great. wasn't aware this existed. seems like a great alternative to draining and refilling. have you had this done? cost?

Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I know a guy that does this service and it works pretty good. He also offers a salt water pool alternative and uses a machine that turns salt into chlorinated purified water. The salt is NOT added to the pool, but is added to the machine.

Chlorine Genie Inc. The Ultimate Pool Chlorinator

Old 05-04-2016, 11:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
great. wasn't aware this existed. seems like a great alternative to draining and refilling. have you had this done? cost?
No -- I just saw his truck the other day then looked at his website.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I know a guy that does this service and it works pretty good. He also offers a salt water pool alternative and uses a machine that turns salt into chlorinated purified water. The salt is NOT added to the pool, but is added to the machine.

Chlorine Genie Inc. The Ultimate Pool Chlorinator
This poster is a pool expert, btw. He helped me fix the green monster. Even though he did ,accidentally? spray me with the fountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas