Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:17 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times

Advertisements

As others have stated depending on your pool size you're looking at around $100 to $150 a month give or take. What does vary though is the quality of the service for the price.

OP if you're going to hire someone I'd recommend contacting AA702 who replied a few posts up. He maintained our pool after we bought our house but before we moved to Vegas a few years ago (I do it myself now). Many people here use him. He's been a contributor here on the forum for years, and he is a true pool professional not a fly by night chlorine adder.

One thing about the unknowledgable pool people who don't understand water chemistry is they can get you on the "chemical roller coaster". Say an algae bloom develops, your water becomes cloudy, etc they head down to the pool store and buy whatever the guy behind the counter recommends. The problem is they guys behind the counter are generally (not always but generally) lack proper water chemistry knowledge and just sell you whatever they're instructed to sell you. Many of these "chemical solutions" do more harm than good and throw off your water balance even further thus resulting in the "chemical roller coaster".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 05:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
There is no way I spend even close $100 per month on chemicals. Never! Learn to do it yourself!
actually don't even need to "learn to do it"... just take water to Leslies.. and make chemical adjustments.. easy peasy..

Old 05-21-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post

I paid a company almost that same amount per month for weekly pool cleaning and maintenance. While the company was good at first, personnel changed, and quality declined. I took over two years ago, and I will not let anyone else maintain my pool. I have let my pool go for over two weeks in warm months while traveling, and I have not come back to a green pool or one with visible algae. Of course, after being gone for that length of time, the pH needs to be adjusted, and the pool typically needs some cleaning. I do use a salt chlorinator which helps keep the maintenance down provided you periodically inspect the cell to ensure it is working efficiently and is not clogged with calcium deposits. Finally, I find that I do not spend anywhere near $1,200 per year in time and materials to maintain the pool myself.
I agree 100%!!!!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
actually don't even need to "learn to do it"... just take water to Leslies.. and make chemical adjustments.. easy peasy..
So.. you go to a chemical saleman and say "tell me what I need"? Sounds like a recipe for rapidly escalating costs and useless advice like "reduce your phosphate levels."

At the very least, test your own water using a quality kit.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 AM

244 posts, read 440,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post

And then what?

Who will tell me how much chemicals I need to add every time?

Water kit only shows quality of water, does not say what to do after that

Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
So.. you go to a chemical saleman and say "tell me what I need"? Sounds like a recipe for rapidly escalating costs and useless advice like "reduce your phosphate levels."

They have never pressured me to buy anything...I buy my tabs at Costco. Oh wait..I did buy a net there last year and a chlorinator because they were cheaper then nps.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
And then what?

I am sure that there is enough pool chemistry how to articles and information on the internet for you to be able to tackle this on your own if you really want to.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:34 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
And then what?

Poolcalculator.com

Old 05-22-2016, 01:55 PM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Quote:
And then what?

You may want to check out troublefreepools.com They have a forum, as well as a self help "pool school" that can help you learn what to do. Look at some of the pictures of the pools the owners post. I owned a pool for 22+ years, and did all of my own maintenance. It's not hard, but I had to learn from trial and error. I wish I would have had this resource available to me when I started. And I'm going to use some of their techniques when I build my new pool this winter.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
From experience there are more people out there that do not want to learn or take the time to take care of their own pool. Its the same way in the landscaping business because of the time and energy it takes to take care of a lawn they would rather pay someone. Some pools are easy and do not take much time or effort to take care of. Some are just plain PITA! With a lot of leaves and dirty that will just take so much time most busy people cannot handle. Going to the pool store and buying things that you might not even need and those guys can be really deceptive when you are there since they are trained to sell the products for maximum profit. If you do decide you are not able or do not want to do your own pool, then hire a pool professional that has credentials and insurance. Also make sure they are not just there to take you money and is willing to solve problems proactive with you. Also make yourself clear on how you want things done and what you expect from them so there are no surprises. Have them give you a guideline on any costs you might have in the future such as broken baskets and repairs (most homeowners or landlords are not prepared for expensive repairs such as heaters, filters, pool pumps and pool lights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas