Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 AM

119 posts, read 183,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Why is it a shame to have to compete with cash investors? Those people worked their tail off, ALWAYS lived within their means and SAVED their money...most likely continue to pay crazy taxes and never asked for a penny from the government.

What's a shame is this type of behavior hasn't rubbed off on enough people.
It's a shame because some people are only capable of being so successful. If you're a successful person, then you know this is true, but it doesn't mean that other people deserve not to own a home. I know plenty of good people, many with college educations, unable to climb the corporate ladder simply because not everyone has the mindset of being corporate material. If everyone in the Las Vegas valley lived within their means, saved every dime and had enough savings to buy homes cash, then we'd all likely be in the same position reversed competing with everyone.

There's also plenty of people that have never asked for a penny from the government, served their country, obtained an education and might have grown up in poverty who managed to save a 20% down and still can't get into a home despite their 750 credit score. I'm not saying this is everyone and awesome on the people who can afford to buy homes cash (for investment purposes,) but it's really taking away from the lower class who might have worked their way out of a slump but are still forced to rent.

You kind of remind me of the people in this video...

Could Making Rich People Play a Rigged Game of Monopoly Help End Income Inequality? | News on GOOD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 PM

743 posts, read 968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozie View Post
I know plenty of good people, many with college educations, unable to climb the corporate ladder simply because not everyone has the mindset of being corporate material.
Who says you have to suit it up and work for a corporation...work for yourself.

...and work HARD and SAVE your money...and be SMART.

I can throw you 10 examples of people I know personally that could be way ahead and own property but are absolute morons and don't take money seriously or are LAZY.

-Can't afford your rent but have a $700 iphone when it comes out?
-Win $50,000 in a slot machine but continue to rent a condo at $700/month when you could have bought one for $45,000 that is now worth $75,000.

The average person does NOT know how to save.

Respect to those that know the importance of putting cash away.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The unfairness is that the first time buyer cannot compete. ....
A fair is a place where farmers take their prized tomatoes.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
... It is simply that appraisals are not to market but as much as 15% below. That is unfair. Even conventional fails some times as the discrepancy between the market price and the appraisal is too great.
If it is true that the appraisal is as much as 15% below market, I would not call that unfair. I would call that incompetency on the part of the appraisers. Given the checkered history of this profession, some might assert collusion with various interested parties, which might even be fraud.

But I wouldn't call it unfair.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_nlv View Post
... And btw. The only people who are paying taxes correctly are regular working Joe's. You Vultures are taking all loopholes available to scam the system and not pay your share...
Please specify exactly which loopholes are available to scam the system. Please cite the IRS code. Otherwise, you're just bloviating.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_nlv View Post
... Rules of the game won't change until Americans go on the streets...
There are laws against public urination & defecation, although I've seen both among those who appear to be homeless.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 AM

119 posts, read 183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Who says you have to suit it up and work for a corporation...work for yourself.

...and work HARD and SAVE your money...and be SMART.

I can throw you 10 examples of people I know personally that could be way ahead and own property but are absolute morons and don't take money seriously or are LAZY.

-Can't afford your rent but have a $700 iphone when it comes out?
-Win $50,000 in a slot machine but continue to rent a condo at $700/month when you could have bought one for $45,000 that is now worth $75,000.

The average person does NOT know how to save.

Respect to those that know the importance of putting cash away.
This I'd agree with and we should be happy that people spend hundreds per month on their cell phone, cable, eating out and so on because it just makes it easier for the "smart money" to come in buy homes. I told a friend of mine that I was renting my house out for $850 a month, and my mortgage is $915. He's like, "dude, people like you are caught in a trap and losing money on your home." Please, man. The average American's cable bill is $120 a month, and I rent out my home that cheap to ensure it's being taken care of by good people. Needless to say he bought his home in 2005, foreclosed but I guess now he's apparently an expert.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Didnt LV used to top this list?

Yahoo!
Cities with the most abandoned homes

Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
No Housing Bubble... not even in the hottest markets:

No bubble, even in hottest home markets, a new report says - latimes.com

"CoreLogic said one of two things would need to happen to make housing as pricey as it was between 2000 and 2004: interest rates rise to 6.75% or home prices skyrocket another 47%."

Hi Kevin!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,412 times
Don't we have enough empty houses???

I hope these builders will give the economy a break and not build for quite a few years yet. Not enough schools to support those future new homes in the new southwestern part of town either

Land sale: Good for economy, bad for strained schools - Local News - Las Vegas, NV | NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas