Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 76,872 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am done with Michigan winters and summer humidity and am seriously considering relocating to the Las Vegas area. Since I work in higher ed, I would likely work at UNLV.

I am politically conservative overall (socially very, environmentally more liberal) and would welcome a less politically charged area. I am okay with the heat as I've lived down south in 100+ temps in summer, with humidity.

I am concerned about LV's air quality. I see that it ranks on poor air quality lists. Does living in a higher elevation suburb help if you work near the strip? Do a lot of people have breathing issues?

Another concern is that I would have to take a significant pay cut. Have you found that lower rent, no state income tax, and whatever else has offset lower pay for you?

I know that water is a big issue out there. How much are your water bills in apartments?

Minor thing, but curious-- what's the highest you have paid for license plate renewal? Mine just went up to $200 in MI. Ugh.

How has your relocation experience been?

Thank you in advance for any helpful info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
You can get pretty much any information you want by searching the forum.

I moved here from Minnesota and no regrets. I no longer shovel, mow, or rake! Yes, they say the air quality isn't great here and it is very dusty. But for me, the breathing is easy because of the low humidity. I think there is dust at all altitudes.

My water bill for a house is under $30 per month. The 'bad' utility is electricity because we have no other option but to run the AC half the year at least! My house is 1500SF and my electric bill is over $300 in the dog days of summer.

Car registration is expensive for newer vehicles. Mine is 10 years old and I pay about $90 plus the smog test. People with new high value cars can pay more than 1K.

You should be able to do just fine on a salary from UNLV. We have tons of jobs but most pay nothing and have no benefits. Think cheap customer service positions. If UNLV lets you down you will be in trouble. I would definitely have the job in hand before I moved. I would urge you to spend a couple weeks here in the summer and live as much like a local as possible. Stay away from the Strip, etc.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Moved from midwest, feel same as yellow snow. Air quality can be bad when the wind blows. My husband has a ton of lung issues and his allergist told us to move away from the midwest. Mold grows is in an environment over 38% humidity. If we stayed there his life span would of shortened. He has no problems here. It very windy today, I ran errands this AM, staying home tonight. He's careful and we live in a higher elevation west side. Wind usually blows from west to east.

Since moving here we keep our cars longer. No snow, salt keeps them looking great longer. And the longer you have a car, the cheaper licensing is.

Our water situation isn't as bad as midwesterns seem to think it is. I hear it from family and friends there. The more water features you have or grass, yes your bill will be horrible. I have 1/4 acre, lots of trees, bigger than we need house. No grass.
I never get a bill bigger than $90.00

Do go through the threads, lots more info on here.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 PM

927 posts, read 883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueA2 View Post
Hello all,
I am done with Michigan winters and summer humidity and am seriously considering relocating to the Las Vegas area. Since I work in higher ed, I would likely work at UNLV.

I am politically conservative overall (socially very, environmentally more liberal) and would welcome a less politically charged area. I am okay with the heat as I've lived down south in 100+ temps in summer, with humidity.

I am concerned about LV's air quality. I see that it ranks on poor air quality lists. Does living in a higher elevation suburb help if you work near the strip? Do a lot of people have breathing issues?

Another concern is that I would have to take a significant pay cut. Have you found that lower rent, no state income tax, and whatever else has offset lower pay for you?

I know that water is a big issue out there. How much are your water bills in apartments?

Minor thing, but curious-- what's the highest you have paid for license plate renewal? Mine just went up to $200 in MI. Ugh.

How has your relocation experience been?

Thank you in advance for any helpful info you can provide!
I grew up in Michigan and moved out west in 2010. I work in education as well. I had to take a slight pay cut, but my bottom line is better after the tax differences. I get it all back and then some for having paid healthcare, not having to contribute to the retirement system, not having to pay social security or state income tax. Housing is significantly cheaper because property taxes are a fraction of what they are in Michigan.

Water is about $50/mo. The quality is terrible, it has a chalky taste to it and is very hard. If you purchase a house, you should install a softener or a filtration system. I deeply miss Michigan water. Air quality is bad, but I stay inside 99% of the time so I don't let it bother me. The elevation and lack of humidity affect you the first week you're here, but you get used to it.

What you'll miss is the culture of the Midwest where people were friendly and inviting. People here don't speak to their neighbors. Obviously transiency plays a role in that, but Michigan is much more segregated than Las Vegas. It's not uncommon for areas in Michigan to be 95% white or 95% black, while the "whitest" communities out here are 70% white. Las Vegas is as close to a melting pot as you'll get in the US, as almost everyone here moved here from other states.

I know you're looking for something more conservative, but Michigan went red last election while Nevada stayed blue. Las Vegas has some conservative parts (mostly due to Mormon influence) but like every major city it leans democrat.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:45 PM

452 posts, read 336,693 times
This is also a UNLV/ Notre Dame town, so beware mr go blue...

Old 04-08-2017, 07:56 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Northern Nevada has better air and water but winter is colder and does have snow.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:32 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The 'bad' utility is electricity because we have no other option but to run the AC half the year at least! My house is 1500SF and my electric bill is over $300 in the dog days of summer.
1600SF house, electric bills used to be $100 or so for during the winter months and around $300 during peak summer

Since putting in a swamp cooler and moving to Time Of Use rates, we pay less than $30 a month off peak (Oct-May), and around $100/m for the summer months.

Late July and August, humidity in the house gets to 50% and over, so there's that.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:38 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Water is about $50/mo. The quality is terrible, it has a chalky taste to it and is very hard. If you purchase a house, you should install a softener or a filtration system. I deeply miss Michigan water
5-stage undersink r/o systems cost about $150, and installation is simple for most people. They will reduce the Total Disolved Solids to what I'm guessing is lower than most of Michigan's water. Mine gets to about 40-50 TDS (from about 450 TDS at source), of course what the remaining stuff is I don't know.

I know my water tastes good, because I can drink it at room temp. I think that's the best way to taste water.

The 7 or 8 stages r/o systems can get TDS to 0 or near zero, but I find water like that tastes harsh/weird, you may have to add minerals to get a smoother taste

Old 04-08-2017, 09:29 PM

927 posts, read 883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
5-stage undersink r/o systems cost about $150, and installation is simple for most people. They will reduce the Total Disolved Solids to what I'm guessing is lower than most of Michigan's water. Mine gets to about 40-50 TDS (from about 450 TDS at source), of course what the remaining stuff is I don't know.

I know my water tastes good, because I can drink it at room temp. I think that's the best way to taste water.

The 7 or 8 stages r/o systems can get TDS to 0 or near zero, but I find water like that tastes harsh/weird, you may have to add minerals to get a smoother taste
My complaints aren't about drinking the water from the tap. I've avoided that since my first glass out here. And I know I could spend $200 and get a good under the sink reverse osmosis system.

My issue is the awful sulfur smell whenever I take a shower. Or the flakes that are left anytime I want ice. Or the sand-like deposits that are left on my glasses every time I use the dishwasher. Or the hard water stains left on my dishes when I use the dishwasher. Or the residue left on my glass shower door when I take a shower. Or the corrosion happening on the faucets and appliances.

I already have a softener installed but clearly it's not working. Kinetico came out and demoed a fancy system but wanted $4,000. I just have to decide I want to go to Home Depot and buy the generic GE softener or if I want to buy the Fleck softener from Amazon. Who knows, I might pay $200 for the reverse osmosis system as well.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:45 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Our water quality is horrible. You definitely need a whole house filtration system. A good one. I just bought a new rainsoft after 24 years with the old. (I would of went through about 6 culligans in this time.) Yes they are expensive, but I have none of the issues that are mentioned on here.
My hot water heater last 15 years cause of this system. I have no build up in my pipes.
With a squeegee after use, my glass shower doors have no spots. My clothes last longer (which can be bad haha), No smells, no icky ice, no hardwater stains on dishes, no corrosion on faucets etc.

A good Ro system is more than $200.00 and you are going to have to change out the filters yearly to get the best results.
Its part of the cost of owning a home here. And taking care of it.

If you have a cheap system which the water softening can not be adjusted, you are going to feel soapy or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas