Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

Who has Direct TV, and did you ever have Cox? Is it as good as Cox? How do you get local TV stations with Direct TV? Is there an antenna involved?

I have to keep Cox for internet. Can I do that without having Cox TV?
Would like to keep phone with Cox, though I guess any phone service will do. Cell phone doesn't give me what I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 01:53 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
If you need Cox phone and internet, may as well get the whole package thru Cox.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Local channels are usually an add on for Direct TV. Sometimes reasonable, sometimes not. Yes, you can have different providers. Proceed carefully, Direct TV will want a contract, usually 2 years and your internet service will probably go up if you are not buying multiple products, bundling, with Cox. It's a racket!

Channel availability is about the same. No antenna needed.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
We need Cox for high speed internet, and we have the bundle, but it has gotten so expensive that $35 a month for Direct TV is looking good. Our Cox bill is over $200 a month. How in the he** did that happen.

At the risk of sounding like an old fa*t, my #1 career was in local television before CI (cardiac issues), and I went to work for the State of NV. I have always hated cable since they used to disconnect the inside antennas from TV sets so people couldn't get the local station (1960s) which they refused to carry on the cable. in a long, drawn out, lawsuit, the cable company eventually was made to pay up or buy the TV station. They bought the station. But in the meantime, we all suffered from the loss of advertising revenue, and could barely live on what we were paid. That's why I moved to Las Vegas. There was no cable TV in Las Vegas at the time, but when it came in, we local stations still had a to fight them constantly. In some places they still make life hard for local TV. That's why I refused to pay for any cable until forced to in my job in the 80s and 90s. They are nothing but blood suckers, making money from other people's efforts. Now I probably don't need it, but it becomes addictive.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:42 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
The Cox remote and STB are antiquated compared compared to DTV.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:19 PM

469 posts, read 494,037 times
YouTube

Old 04-15-2017, 04:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times
The bundle with phone is a racket with both Cox and Direct TV. What we did was get an ATT wireless home phone for $20 a month attached to our cell bill as an add on line. We use an ATT microcell to get a great signal and use internet for this service. It will work without internet too. We like it as we take it with us on vacations and still have our home phone number for business stuff.

If the power goes out we still have service via a hardwired phone into the unit. There is an internal battery that powers it for 3-4 hrs as I recall. I think if the power goes out on Cox (or internet) or direct tv you have no phone but I am not sure on that. Mine works even if internet out. Just an idea anyway to check out. We buy cox internet and tv as I keep on top of the contract and renegotiate just prior to the expiration of the contract.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:22 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
DirecTV ($80) and Cox Internet ($55)--$135/month.

DirecTV 2 yr agreement. Got NFL Sunday Ticket (one season) and a $100 Visa card too. Local channels included. There are much cheaper DirecTV rates--I just wanted all the sports channels.

I could not find a Cox bundle, even a promo rate, that seemed worth the money. Their TV is outrageous. While we were renting, we had Dish--it was a joke compared to DirecTV.

I don't know if I can negotiate sustaining the promo rates when they expire--of course I will try.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
We need Cox for high speed internet, and we have the bundle, but it has gotten so expensive that $35 a month for Direct TV is looking good. Our Cox bill is over $200 a month. How in the he** did that happen.

At the risk of sounding like an old fa*t, my #1 career was in local television before CI (cardiac issues), and I went to work for the State of NV. I have always hated cable since they used to disconnect the inside antennas from TV sets so people couldn't get the local station (1960s) which they refused to carry on the cable. in a long, drawn out, lawsuit, the cable company eventually was made to pay up or buy the TV station. They bought the station. But in the meantime, we all suffered from the loss of advertising revenue, and could barely live on what we were paid. That's why I moved to Las Vegas. There was no cable TV in Las Vegas at the time, but when it came in, we local stations still had a to fight them constantly. In some places they still make life hard for local TV. That's why I refused to pay for any cable until forced to in my job in the 80s and 90s. They are nothing but blood suckers, making money from other people's efforts. Now I probably don't need it, but it becomes addictive.
Huh? I hate the games these people play, ALL of them. I have 300MBPS net and home phone from Cox and my bill is $110 per month with a 1 year guarantee on price. I think that's the fastest net they have available. I think you need to disconnect and go in as a new customer if they aren't willing to give you a better deal. I get all my local news on the net and I use hulu and Amazon for TV.

And don't count on that DTV bill actually being $35 per month.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:31 PM

727 posts, read 1,056,504 times
I have Directv and have had it for many years mainly for the NFL Sunday Ticket package. I have not personally had Cox TV (I have their internet service) but have had cable TV from other providers in other cities and my experience is that Directv has a superior picture to cable. The clubhouse in my community just switched from Cox to Directv and the picture is obviously better. Having said all of that Directv is a very expensive option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: