Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 PM

10 posts, read 15,092 times

Advertisements

Get an AT&T account.

Then, go to www.att.com/wireless/xyzcompany to apply your discount.

You'll have to research which companies have the highest discounts yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 08:51 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,157,543 times
Seems that sim card deal will be hard to beat !
looking for the "HOOK"

Old 05-06-2017, 02:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,918,626 times
Why not just get a TracPhone?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,157,543 times
Well I have a phone and so does the Mrs so why not just get sim cards is there a downside I am missing?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:58 PM

496 posts, read 367,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Well I have a phone and so does the Mrs so why not just get sim cards is there a downside I am missing?
A SIM card just identifies you.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 PM

286 posts, read 536,633 times
Go with Republicwireless.com

Best deal, great phones.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,293,474 times
We used to use Page Plus Cellular. It let us keep our numbers. It bought Verizon lines at discounted rates and the deal with that was it just couldn't advertise their company like the name brands such as Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, ect. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

With Page Plus I was on the cheapest deal of $12 a month. It was like 250 texts and 700 minutes a month and no data.

Then we found a better deal on eBay with the Sim card thing too, and now we use a Red Pocket Mobile annual plan. Red Pocket Mobile SIM Card | eBay

It's also on a Verzion line and works with various mobile phones. I have an iPhone and my husband has a Samsung Galaxy Note. We found our deals at different times though getting different prices for it. Mine was like $69 for a full year with 1000 minutes a month + 1000 texts a month + 1GB of data a month. My husbands was the same deal for around $89 for the entire year. They have all kinds of deals. You just have to find them at the right time for what works for you.

I hardly use my phone for calls and texts as we have internet at home with an OBi100 device that allows us to connect a regular cordless phone for VOIP calls through Google Voice at no additional charge. It's like having a landline in the house and we've programmed it with our number in Oregon and our number in Las Vegas so people can call us on either Google Voice number and we get it on our phone at home with unlimited minutes.

The data I use is kept low because I connect to wi-fi at home our while out a places when I can. Mostly I'll use my data for GPS directions on google maps while out driving around and it updates in real time letting me know if there's an accident ahead and reroutes me. Having the data with the GPS has really been a life saver. Sometimes I have run out of data if I have company in town and we're driving around a lot and looking online for things to do in an area we're new to. With the annual prepaid plan it slows down and cuts me off if I run out of data that month so there are no overage charges either.

We can even forward our VOIP calls to our cell phones while we're out of the house so we don't miss an incoming call but then that charges us minutes on our cell phone.

One notable thing is 911 can't identify where you're calling from through VOIP if you're in trouble. You have to be able to tell them you're address.

The other thing is it seems like every year Google Voice says they're going to start charging for their once free service and then shortly after that they announce another delay. It's been going on for years and I'm not sure if it's ever going to happen.

The last note is the OBi100 device costs a one time fee of $100 and then the device is yours to do as you please. We've essentially had a free landline with our internet service for the past decade. Which ultimately really saves us money on the mobile phone bills. That is once we figured out the thing with non-brand name providers. Some of which are listed in this thread that provide the heavily discounted rates. We've been using that side cell phone service plan for 6-7 years now and no real complaints since it's a Verizon line.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 05-10-2017 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: adding data comment

Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,823,555 times
Obi200 is under $50 on Amazon right now and even cheaper when on sale

I don't really get the benefits as they probably don't exist to me...

A Google voice number is free and there are free apps such as Hangouts that allow calling over wifi

Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
Freedompop gives you 250 minutes calling, 500 texts and 500 Mbs data for free. You can buy one of their phones cheap, or bring your own device. Paid plans range from 10.99 to about 40.00 for unlimited everything. No contract. Switch back to the freebie plan any lean month.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:35 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
We used to use Page Plus Cellular. It let us keep our numbers. It bought Verizon lines at discounted rates and the deal with that was it just couldn't advertise their company like the name brands such as Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, ect. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

With Page Plus I was on the cheapest deal of $12 a month. It was like 250 texts and 700 minutes a month and no data.

Then we found a better deal on eBay with the Sim card thing too, and now we use a Red Pocket Mobile annual plan. Red Pocket Mobile SIM Card | eBay

It's also on a Verzion line and works with various mobile phones. I have an iPhone and my husband has a Samsung Galaxy Note. We found our deals at different times though getting different prices for it. Mine was like $69 for a full year with 1000 minutes a month + 1000 texts a month + 1GB of data a month. My husbands was the same deal for around $89 for the entire year. They have all kinds of deals. You just have to find them at the right time for what works for you.

I hardly use my phone for calls and texts as we have internet at home with an OBi100 device that allows us to connect a regular cordless phone for VOIP calls through Google Voice at no additional charge. It's like having a landline in the house and we've programmed it with our number in Oregon and our number in Las Vegas so people can call us on either Google Voice number and we get it on our phone at home with unlimited minutes.

The data I use is kept low because I connect to wi-fi at home our while out a places when I can. Mostly I'll use my data for GPS directions on google maps while out driving around and it updates in real time letting me know if there's an accident ahead and reroutes me. Having the data with the GPS has really been a life saver. Sometimes I have run out of data if I have company in town and we're driving around a lot and looking online for things to do in an area we're new to. With the annual prepaid plan it slows down and cuts me off if I run out of data that month so there are no overage charges either.

We can even forward our VOIP calls to our cell phones while we're out of the house so we don't miss an incoming call but then that charges us minutes on our cell phone.

One notable thing is 911 can't identify where you're calling from through VOIP if you're in trouble. You have to be able to tell them you're address.

The other thing is it seems like every year Google Voice says they're going to start charging for their once free service and then shortly after that they announce another delay. It's been going on for years and I'm not sure if it's ever going to happen.

The last note is the OBi100 device costs a one time fee of $100 and then the device is yours to do as you please. We've essentially had a free landline with our internet service for the past decade. Which ultimately really saves us money on the mobile phone bills. That is once we figured out the thing with non-brand name providers. Some of which are listed in this thread that provide the heavily discounted rates. We've been using that side cell phone service plan for 6-7 years now and no real complaints since it's a Verizon line.
Oh man. If google starts charging for voice, I hope it's not much. Everyone had my google voice number. I'm not even sure what my real phone number(s) are because everything is forwarded from google. Listen to voicemails instead of reading them? Egads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: