Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:34 PM

949 posts, read 788,833 times

Advertisements

Around 5/31 or 6/1, I began to have issues where my COX internet service intermittently fails. I subscribe to "essential internet service." I think that's the 10MB service.

Between the hours of around 8:30AM and 3:30PM, the modem resets several times per hour. I'm web browsing "heavy" ad sites like YAHOO Finance. The web pages stop loading. After a couple minutes Windows reports I've lost connection to the internet. A minute or so later, the modem reboots automatically. Then the service works again for a while before the scenario repeats.

Anyone else having peak-hour internet service issues? I works ok during off-peak hours (see next paragraph).

-----------
The service has always been disappointing when browsing because it doesn't seem to support a burst rate... so the aggregate data across all browser connections can exceed my 10MB limit and COX starts discarding packets causing mega retransmission requests. Not sure why COX doesn't support a transient burst rate above the supported 10MB rate, like leased line vendors do to avoid this issue. Streaming is ok since I'm only ever streaming to one device and the aggregate incoming data rate would never exceed 10MB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 07:25 PM

347 posts, read 511,969 times
4 years ago when I first got cox I was having peak hour problems. They swapped my router, Renewed connections and re-earthed but I still had no internet problems. Until finally there was a fault that effected everyone on the node and they had to swap a box at their end. Ever since I have not had 1 problem. Good luck with Trying to get them to admit the problem is at their end.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:22 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
I was having the same issues here. Had been happening since last November and getting worse as time goes on. After on-site tech visit with no fault found and being given the runaround by Cox, who just wanted to send more techs out to check the same things, I dumped them.

The modem had clearly logged that there was a fault in communication with the node, but Cox kept claiming they had no record of this.

Its been my experience that cable cos just LOVE to blame customer owned equipment without doing due diligence on their end. When you have their rental equipment and the problems still occur, they play dumb.

Your node is probably overloaded. I worked in IT for 16 years. It is VERY unlikely that there is a problem and they don't have any counters or log data, or a monitoring system on hand that shows this - they just don't care.

I was told point blank by multiple Cox reps that they don't troubleshoot T3 or T4 timeouts as a matter of standard practice(this is when your modem reboots). This is absurd. Troubleshooting these issues should be one of the first steps they are taking if they want to assure the long term viability of their network. What is happening is they are waiting until the number of customers complaining exceeds some threshold whereby upper management is now aware of the situation, and then something will be done (likely, find source of RF interference or split node to reduce load).

I wouldn't waste my time.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:28 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
I sometimes have issues, but after 5pm for a couple hours. Probably just the neighborhood all trying to use the internet at the same time, doesn't always happen and not really that bad

Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
With no more "Net Neutrality" rules your ISP may not feel that they are getting the appropriate amount of kick back uhhh, I mean fees from the sites you like to visit so it is quite possible that they are throttling those sites until enough of the customers complain to those organizations and they in turn start sending the kick ba uhhh I mean fees to Cox so that their websites traffic is prioritized a little bit better.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
I've had Cox Internet for over 15 years here in Nevada. My son was playing on his Xbox a little over 6 months ago, and he started complaining that it was "hanging" or the game would just freeze up. Out here in Henderson we get great speeds. I'm not even sure if this will help you, but I got tired of hearing his complaint when I pay good $ for the super speeds we have. I called Cox and after 20 minutes, I learned something that sounded odd but has worked successfully ever since. The Cox tech I spoke with had me disconnect the router. I waited a minute and reconnected. Once it reboots, he can play for hours if he wanted, and we could even be on our phones via Cox vs Sprint. I was told that if we disconnected the router like on the first of every month, it will clear the "cashe" so his games don't "hang" anymore. Hope this helps someone.And good luck to you!

Old 06-09-2017, 04:16 PM

120 posts, read 175,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
Around 5/31 or 6/1, I began to have issues where my COX internet service intermittently fails. I subscribe to "essential internet service." I think that's the 10MB service.

Between the hours of around 8:30AM and 3:30PM, the modem resets several times per hour. I'm web browsing "heavy" ad sites like YAHOO Finance. The web pages stop loading. After a couple minutes Windows reports I've lost connection to the internet. A minute or so later, the modem reboots automatically. Then the service works again for a while before the scenario repeats.

Anyone else having peak-hour internet service issues? I works ok during off-peak hours (see next paragraph).

-----------
The service has always been disappointing when browsing because it doesn't seem to support a burst rate... so the aggregate data across all browser connections can exceed my 10MB limit and COX starts discarding packets causing mega retransmission requests. Not sure why COX doesn't support a transient burst rate above the supported 10MB rate, like leased line vendors do to avoid this issue. Streaming is ok since I'm only ever streaming to one device and the aggregate incoming data rate would never exceed 10MB.
You need an ad blocker. I had the same problems with 150 down, 40 up internet. installed adblocker Plus, no more issues.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:48 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie1 View Post
You need an ad blocker. I had the same problems with 150 down, 40 up internet. installed adblocker Plus, no more issues.
Modem reboots are T4 timeout, which means the modem tried 16 times to contact the headend(cable company) and did not receive a response. This occurs when a node is overloaded, or there is interference or a bad connection/splitter/amplifier somewhere between the modem and the headend.

There is no situation in which advertisements will cause a modem to reboot. If this is happening, its a symptom and not a cause.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 PM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
Sheesh just got this... talk about gouging:

Dear Hotjambalaya,

We are writing to inform you of an upcoming change to Cox High Speed Internet service in your area related to data usage.

Your Cox High Speed Internet service currently includes a data plan of 1 TB (1,024 GB). Beginning 07/06/2017, if you exceed your monthly data plan we will automatically provide additional blocks of data for $10 per 50 gigabytes (GB), as needed. This will not impact 98% percent of customers, but instead only charges the heaviest Internet users.

To help you get accustomed to this change, you will be provided a grace period for your first two billing cycles after the effective date. You will not be charged if you exceed your data plan during this grace period.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
This title reads like a family friend radio ad for ED drugs.

I have issues with the internet all day every day. I wish we had fiber optic internet from a real provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: