Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:52 AM

174 posts, read 206,303 times

Advertisements

Hallo!

This is a fairly subjective / opinion-driven question, I think ... But if your job was in the area around the crossroad of N MLK and W Lake Mead, and sitting in traffic is not your favorite thing to do, what area would you choose to live in?

Studying Google Maps and playing with the direction plotter gives me the idea that the city doesn't take a terribly long time to travel across, but am not sure what the high traffic hours (and where) would be.

~C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 12:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
Hallo!

This is a fairly subjective / opinion-driven question, I think ... But if your job was in the area around the crossroad of N MLK and W Lake Mead, and sitting in traffic is not your favorite thing to do, what area would you choose to live in?

Studying Google Maps and playing with the direction plotter gives me the idea that the city doesn't take a terribly long time to travel across, but am not sure what the high traffic hours (and where) would be.

~C
General recommendation would be to head north and west. North of Craig you get into reasonably nice NLV. El Dorado and surrounds. Little further west into Aliante.

Go a couple of miles west and you are in Centennial.

Both are reasonably nice middle class suburbs. Commute 10 to 15 minutes unless you go way west.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:31 PM

174 posts, read 206,303 times
Got it. Summerlin or the Lakes too far out?

Old 08-25-2018, 04:48 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
The Lakes is definitely too far if you are looking for quick commute. Desert Shores might work, but I’d be looking at Aliante. Summerlin is its own animal. Pretty, with trees and such maintained by your exhorbibitant HOA fees. Do school districts matter?

Old 08-25-2018, 05:30 PM

927 posts, read 883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The Lakes is definitely too far if you are looking for quick commute. Desert Shores might work, but I’d be looking at Aliante. Summerlin is its own animal. Pretty, with trees and such maintained by your exhorbibitant HOA fees. Do school districts matter?
A quick Redfin search in (4) communities in 89144 and their HOAs are all $50/mo. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, considering you get access to (3) community centers and pools. You'll be paying at least $15/mo in Aliante.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Got it. Summerlin or the Lakes too far out?
You can do the northern part of Summerlin in 15 minutes. Drop south on MLK to the 95 and go west on to Summerlin Pkwy. That will feed into a large selection of Summerlin. Best stick to convenient to Summerlin Pkwy. 89134 and 89128.

The Lakes is at least another 10 minutes maybe more in traffic. No good way to get there.

The way in which HOA fees work in Summerlin is there is a master plan fee of $50 or so and then any local HOA fees on top of that. There are tracts that have only the Master Plan Fee. And Sun City Summerlin does not pay the Master Plan fee though some tracts have two HOAs. I would not be surprised to find out there are some tracts in Summerlin with two HOAs and the Master Plan. places like Red Rock. Don't know of one for sure.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:12 PM

241 posts, read 143,433 times
Quote:
Hallo!

~C
There’s a really nice middle class area on Donna St. just a few clicks north of Lake Mead. You’ll find gorgeous apartment communities such as the Centennial Park Arms with easy access to the 15! The neighborhood is also very walkable if you have the right colors on.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
There’s a really nice middle class area on Donna St. just a few clicks north of Lake Mead. You’ll find gorgeous apartment communities such as the Centennial Park Arms with easy access to the 15! The neighborhood is also very walkable if you have the right colors on.
Don't do that. It is cruel.

Donna Street in that area is difficult...to unlivable. Do not go there.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:30 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Hahaha yeah go live in Aliante, which I believe is Spanish for “oasis in the ghetto,” so you can avoid the “exhorbitant” (which in 2018 apparently means “insignificant” in English) HOA fees of like $125/month for living in the best area of town. Ok!

Old 08-25-2018, 09:38 PM

241 posts, read 143,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't do that. It is cruel.

Donna Street in that area is difficult...to unlivable. Do not go there.
Yeah it sucks over there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas