Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 16,311 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Is there anyone here who is a member of the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce?

If so, have you signed up for the Health Insurance? Are you happy with it?

Thank you,
Ana Graham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Yes, we were, joined only for the insurance offering. Had this health insurance from 2001 till 2014. Since we paid 100% of health insurance for our employees and were only buying for 5, we didn't not have much choice. (We use a lot of specialized contract people.)

I can only speak for the time we had it. One year, I think it was 2010, we had a 70% increase in premium! We bought the top of the line, maybe the silver plans didn't suffer this fate. My agent said we knew this increase was coming but wasn't sure when. Will guess since the ACA act and they actually have to pay out 80% in health costs, it might of gotten better.

It was horrible. My allergist said I would be better off (in his office) if I didn't have insurnace. He charged people without insurance $18.00 for a shot.

With this crappy insurance, he had to charge me $21.00 per shot. And he had to credit UHC the $3.00. They were basically making $3.00 off me everytime I got a shot.

That is not insurance!

You have my sympathy. For now, everyone who works for us is on medicare but me.

I lost my Blues insurance, left the state.

Am on Sierra EPO, which is a PPO. Pay $1100.00 per month, $3,000 deductable. Hubs is on medicare, his with supplement and RX coverage is much less than me.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
I am on good Medicare and spend about $1000 a month. The Admiral is also Medicare and spends about half as much. The difference is age and drugs. I use plan F. And for me it is required as I bill over $40K a year.

Interesting bit... Never in my life paid for Medical Insurance until I was eligible for Medicare whereupon my ex employer dumped me. One of those things where I was just not smart enough. Could have likely got it into my employment contract if I had realized the need...

Old 03-04-2018, 01:01 AM

Don't remember if hubs is on F or G. He has lots of health issues. He flies in and out of DR's offices with no copays etc. He can go anywhere in the country, etc.
He caps his medicare RX coverage about May. Used to be November.

We pay about 15K+ out of pocket for meds, my copays tests etc. Not counting the almsot $19,000 per year our busines pays for our insurnace.

I remember employees saying oh big deal, you cover 100%. This depending on their weight and smoking was around $250 to $300 a piece (2001) to well over $500.00 each the last year we had chamber insurance. I bought the top of the line cause of hubs and I. They didn't pay a dime for it. So no complaints there.

That is when I realized the great majority of people don't know anything about buying it, what a nightmare it can be or what the ACA changes forced the insurance companies to cover. Yeah its not perfect but its a start to force the greedy jerks to pay for what people think they are getting.

I'm flying into LA for meetings, one day and I have to buy a day plan to cover me. All the time hubs and I went on the road without as we thought we'd be covered, not so with UHC has me shaking my head. And thankful nothing happened.

BTW is you are taking a cruise over seas - DO NOT buy the coverage offered by most ships, its way over priced and really stinks. Very high priced, covers basically very little. I think lots of that money goes to the agent. Or at least a bigger percentage than the cruise itself. Buy from AAA. Great plan at a fraction of the cost.

OH OP that chamber plan used to cover anywhere in NV, Now I'm hearing its clark county only. Greedy jerks.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
I use Tokio Marine for travel medical....the biggest factor is not being covered in the US. www.HCC.com

Old 03-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the replies!

My husband had started working as an independent contractor last year and we created an LLC for it. I had Insurance for us via my job, but recently quit, so now we have no insurance unless I 1. sign up with COBRA or 2. go through the ACA.

At this point, it would be cheaper for us to just pay the penalty and get supplemental insurance. But never in my life have I been without health insurance. The COBRA would be through Anthem, but my company has a really crappy policy...case in point, its cheaper to get my meds through Costco without using Insurance. Go figure.

I was thinking we should get insurance for the both of us through his LLC, but wasn't sure if I wanted to join the LV Chamber of Commerce to get it.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:39 PM

393 posts, read 503,896 times
Does anyone have any experience with Blue Cross or Shield?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 AM

^^^ had it loved it but they don't sell individual policies any more in NV If you are finding they are coming back, please post

Op - compare the pricing through the chamber vs the exchange. I don't think you can buy through the exchange till Nov.
I would not want to be without it but we aren't gamblers. We sell all over the world so there is no need for me to belong to the Chamber. Dues wsed to be $500.00 per year. And before the ACA act it was my only option with all the pre-existing conditions husband has.

If the chamber is offering Sierra Gold plan, tell me the price and I'll compare it to mine.

Found out this weeekend a couple we are friends with don't have insurance! He has lots of health issues and forgot to ask him if he knew now they could buy it. She just turned 65 and he's 70.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 PM

For now, we are going through COBRA from my previous job...not the ideal, but at least we're covered. The cost for ACA would have been at the lowest price of $1000, with a $13,000 deductible, highest price is $1531, with a $2,000 deductible. Since I'm still within the 60 days of leaving my job, I can still get the ACA Healthcare, but I don't like the deductibles showing.

My COBRA will continue with Anthem PPO, ironically I'm paying $1100 a month. I don't like being without healthcare, but we're going to try to look into more options of getting health insurance for the self employed, since my husband is a self employed independent contractor.

The dues for the LV Chamber of Commerce for us will be $600 a year. I also am classified as having a pre-existing condition since I had a cancerous tumor, even though I've been cancer free for 10 yrs.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 AM

That is a horrible price and deductable for ACA insurance. See if you can find a organization related to your business to join that offers health insurance.

I though they did away with pre-existing conditions?

I wouldn't be without health insurance either. Still in shock over freind 65 and 70 not having it. Maybe they are planning on ending it all if they find out they have cancer or something. Wouldn't be the first couple that we know that did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: