Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:48 PM

19 posts, read 24,671 times

Advertisements

hi city data members

My fiancee and I live in the Chicago area. We are trying to decide which city is better. Is it Summerlin or Henderson?

Think of pros and cons such as 1 weather 2 apartment quality complexes 3 crowded 4 grocery stores five restaurant and shopping centers 6 banks 7 hospitals 8 entertainment 9 safe or not safe to live 10 chamber of commerce, social security offices and social services.

You don't need to answer all of the options. This just gives you a general idea what things we are trying to compare between the 2 cities. But the more one can tell us about these areas the better we may be able to pick the right city. Thanks to everyone helping us here in the search to find a place in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 05:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Onlly one is a city - Henderson. The other is a master planned community in the west side of Las Vegas. Note that it is pasrtially in the City of Las Vegas and partially not...Clark County is a strange place...where the largest group of people live in no city and that which most people associate with Las Vegas is not in the City of Las Vegas.

To your question good Henderson and Summerlin are interchangeable. Go to the one convenient to your work or that you like better. Note that not all of Henderson is "good". There are old and beat up parts as well. Summerlin also has a range of "goodness" but much narrower than Henderson.

You will however be fine in either "Good Henderson" or Summerlin.

"Good Henderson" is south of 215 or near it.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:24 PM

57 posts, read 91,290 times
Another way to put which areas are the good areas of Henderson are is anywhere in the zip codes 89052 and 89012.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:47 AM

91 posts, read 124,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyladybabykitten04 View Post
hi city data members

My fiancee and I live in the Chicago area. We are trying to decide which city is better. Is it Summerlin or Henderson?

Think of pros and cons such as 1 weather 2 apartment quality complexes 3 crowded 4 grocery stores five restaurant and shopping centers 6 banks 7 hospitals 8 entertainment 9 safe or not safe to live 10 chamber of commerce, social security offices and social services.

You don't need to answer all of the options. This just gives you a general idea what things we are trying to compare between the 2 cities. But the more one can tell us about these areas the better we may be able to pick the right city. Thanks to everyone helping us here in the search to find a place in Nevada.
We live in Summerlin, but know Henderson fairly well. Both have plenty of places to dine, shop, and generally have a good quality of life. Weather will not vary much in either city, IMO. I have in-laws in the Lakeview area of Chicago, I don't know where you are but if you enjoy that type of big city lifestyle you need to be prepared for some major changes, regardless of which city you choose.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:02 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I live in zip code 89052 in Henderson (this is the Seven Hills/Anthem area). So, the views tend to be nicer on this side. But I believe the traffic is worse and the summer days are a bit hotter here than on the Summerlin side. If you like to hike, Summerlin is more convenient to Mt. Charleston — which is the only place to hike during the hot months because its about 20 degrees cooler up there.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:27 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Closest to work, or Henderson if you need to use the airport a lot. Summerlin might just have a bit more sterile feel to it. Both are pretty nice. Both places command premiums on rent.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:57 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Best thing to do is come out and experience each location for yourself to make a proper decision.

I have little to no experience with regard to Henderson. I live in the 89138 area of Summerlin and we enjoy our time here.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:22 PM

699 posts, read 2,218,426 times
Same same but different. Lol

It might be a smidge more likely to snow in Summerlin than Henderson, and it's slightly more of a smidge that it'll rain more in Henderson than Summerlin.

Visit both and go with your gut and your commute.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
We are in Sun City Summerlin. Compared to Henderson I think it's "greener" up here. Traffic isn't terrible except on certain streets, but that's common. We like that we get the morning sun instead of the afternoon sun. It gets hot as dickens here and having the sun disappear behind the mountains earlier helps.

There was a thread earlier that mentioned work locations. Between Henderson and Summerlin the 215 is the quickest. If you look at map of the southwest corner of Las Vegas you will see a sharp 90 degree bend from southbound to eastbound 215. East of that turn traffic really picks up. So if you are going to commute to a job in from either to the other it could be a fairly long one. Others have mentioned 30-40 minutes depending upon start/end locations.

If you find yourself "up the hill" in Summerlin you will see sights like this - taken from our back yard.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 03-04-2018 at 10:02 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 09:31 AM

23 posts, read 31,438 times
Piggy backing on this question but in regards to Henderson...I noticed there are two middle schools in the Green Valley Ranch area (Miller and Webb). Is one significantly considered a better school over the other? Are homes zoned for one of those schools considered more valuable than the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: