Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 09:35 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwara Road View Post
We have a house in 89128 that is single story, 4 bedrooms, large lot, massive pool. The layout is ok, and the area is nice. The house is a touch over 2600 sq ft.

It is rented out at the moment for $2500 a month, but as soon as we can get around $180 a sq ft I reckon we will sell it.

My best guess is that we will see these sorts of prices in our area early next year.
Does it have curb appeal or does it look like all the other homes on the street? Is it a wow house or just a previous rental? When we were looking, if it was a previous rental, we passed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 PM

799 posts, read 708,115 times
Wow, prices have really gone up in the past 4 years or so since we started looking/bought our house. Daughter was here last week, and is considering a move here. So, we did some "touring" of new developments, looking for a single story with a large enough lot to park an RV on the side. Comparing these to our own search for something similar in the northwest or southwest side of town, prices seem up about $250-$300K for a house similar to ours in that time span. And most of those developments are almost sold out.

Unfortunately for us, she may not be able to get what she's looking for in a price range they are comfortable with. But, on the other hand, if we wanted to sell (which we don't) we'd have a smile on our faces..

Old 07-09-2018, 05:24 PM

122 posts, read 123,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Does it have curb appeal or does it look like all the other homes on the street? Is it a wow house or just a previous rental? When we were looking, if it was a previous rental, we passed...
We lived in it for almost 2 years, and my wife just loved it. Our friends who visited us also thought it was pretty nice.

I'm happy to share the listing link via PM

Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
My limited experience, excuse me? One, you need to get off your high horse it's really getting annoying. Two, they are no good in the weather we have here. They are expensive to heat and cool. Most people don't even want two story-which is why single story homes are more expensive and sell faster- and you think people are foaming at the mouth for 3 stories? NO.
Nobody said foaming at the mouth, but no, most people don't "want" one story. Most people with no budgets, sure, maybe. There aren't that many expensive homes that are on one story. There are literally entire plans where the cheap version is one story and the expensive one is two, that being the only difference between the two houses.

I have no objection to a single story home but it better be very large then and spread out appropriately, like a U shape for instance, where you have fun on one wing and bedrooms on the other. That would be a fantastic one story layout. In fact, I'd probably go that route if I built a home, but I haven't seen hardly any houses being built right now that are the size I want and aren't 2 stories. I actually don't think I've seen one. For smaller homes, sure.

Your idea that single story homes are "more expensive" is just nonsense. Also how fast a house sells is meaningless. A $10M house sells slowly most of the time because few people can afford it, which has nothing to do with the quality or desirability of the house and everything to do with the fact the demand is limited by the asking price.

There's absolutely no reason that "the weather" makes a 3-story house unworkable. You can heat and cool any house with the right system. If you mean that it's harder to cool a 3-story house with a Home Depot special piece of crap HVAC unit, yeah, sure, but a 3-story house should have multiple systems and be zoned at least by floor, then it's no issue. It's not more expensive, either. It doesn't matter to the monthly cost whether a house is on one floor or three floors, if you have the right system it can handle the job just fine. The only real argument is a 3-story house would have less useable roof space and therefore not be able to accommodate as many solar panels, which would impact the costs but that's not an HVAC issue that's an electric issue.

I seriously worry about the health of some of these posters. My dad is 76, he has no issues with his 4 story house (and if he did, it has an elevator), if you're in your 30s or 40s or 50s having trouble climbing the stairs you need to get outside more, hike, do some weight training, take care of yourself. Get off CD and use your body for something because climbing a set or two of stairs is just not that big of a deal.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
I bet my 3 story utilities cost less than most 1 story.... You can make the home very very efficient. Our last month in Vegas, was the most electricity wise in the last 5 years.... May 22- June 22 $161 AC at 74

Old 07-10-2018, 10:46 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I bet my 3 story utilities cost less than most 1 story.... You can make the home very very efficient. Our last month in Vegas, was the most electricity wise in the last 5 years.... May 22- June 22 $161 AC at 74
You can make any house more efficient. Las Vegas has bad builds from the start, but they are getting a little better.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Nobody said foaming at the mouth, but no, most people don't "want" one story. Most people with no budgets, sure, maybe. There aren't that many expensive homes that are on one story. There are literally entire plans where the cheap version is one story and the expensive one is two, that being the only difference between the two houses.

I have no objection to a single story home but it better be very large then and spread out appropriately, like a U shape for instance, where you have fun on one wing and bedrooms on the other. That would be a fantastic one story layout. In fact, I'd probably go that route if I built a home, but I haven't seen hardly any houses being built right now that are the size I want and aren't 2 stories. I actually don't think I've seen one. For smaller homes, sure.

Your idea that single story homes are "more expensive" is just nonsense. Also how fast a house sells is meaningless. A $10M house sells slowly most of the time because few people can afford it, which has nothing to do with the quality or desirability of the house and everything to do with the fact the demand is limited by the asking price.

There's absolutely no reason that "the weather" makes a 3-story house unworkable. You can heat and cool any house with the right system. If you mean that it's harder to cool a 3-story house with a Home Depot special piece of crap HVAC unit, yeah, sure, but a 3-story house should have multiple systems and be zoned at least by floor, then it's no issue. It's not more expensive, either. It doesn't matter to the monthly cost whether a house is on one floor or three floors, if you have the right system it can handle the job just fine. The only real argument is a 3-story house would have less useable roof space and therefore not be able to accommodate as many solar panels, which would impact the costs but that's not an HVAC issue that's an electric issue.

I seriously worry about the health of some of these posters. My dad is 76, he has no issues with his 4 story house (and if he did, it has an elevator), if you're in your 30s or 40s or 50s having trouble climbing the stairs you need to get outside more, hike, do some weight training, take care of yourself. Get off CD and use your body for something because climbing a set or two of stairs is just not that big of a deal.
My husband works out 2x a day. Anyway, neither of us want want a 3 story. It's not nonsense it's a fact the single story usually costs more (Especially in Vegas) and are more desireable. Why don't you just google why are single story homes more desirable/cost more?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
My husband works out 2x a day. Anyway, neither of us want want a 3 story. It's not nonsense it's a fact the single story usually costs more (Especially in Vegas) and are more desireable. Why don't you just google why are single story homes more desirable/cost more?
That's easy!

No climbing, for one. It's not a matter of being physically fit, it's more inconvenient. I'm with you on that.

Plus, single story stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter -- which are benefits if you live in a desert climate!

Old 07-10-2018, 02:55 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,802 times
Its all dependent on lifestyle. Me and my wife went from a 5800 sft two story home to a 1350 sft two story condo that we already owned used as a rental. We simply got rid of our collections and pared down to what we really need to live. It was very liberating feeling giving up all the toys and trappings in life. Never want to go back to our old ways again.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:00 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,827 times
Quote:
single story stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter
It is actually the opposite. See Green Home Guide for a full explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas