Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:51 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times

Advertisements

That definitely is true, all of what you said Airics. I only paid 5% to sell my downtown condo, I said no way am I paying 6% on a highly desirable, easy sell downtown condo. My agent didn't even argue haha she was like cool no problem.

I also had a similar situation during the recession, I sold my first condo at a loss, thankfully not much, we had bought in 2006 but at pre-construction pricing (my dad and I invested in the building itself, so we got preferential pricing) and it had appreciated from $390K to $510K at one point, estimated valuation based on comps and whatnot. By the time I sold, I got $367K, and walked away with about 60% of the equity I had put in :\ Not great, but at the same time, I was fortunate to be able to buy a condo during the recession for $128K cash and it was once sold for $290K just a few years earlier, so it was a complete steal. At least I ended up ok from the recession, since I bought (loss) and sold (gain) during it.

I definitely agree with you on Vegas homes, I'm not trying to say that in a way of sounding like I'm putting down the average home, but it really bothers me that houses are so close together at the lower range of pricing to even middle range that you are just a few feet from neighbors. I've actually seen quite a few houses at $800K or so that are not much better, like they have larger back yards for sure, they're much better houses, but the side-to-side is in general pathetic at almost any budget range besides custom lot, custom home. I was a bit shocked by that. I guess it's the reality of crowded cities everywhere because I've seen a lot more of that lately.

When I was growing up, I feel like any upper middle class family I knew had a large lot, not necessarily huge (ours was on 2 acres, so friends' seemed small by comparison), but definitely privacy on all sides of the house with solid enough lot sizes. Now that seems to be the domain of the wealthy, and in some cities, the uber wealthy.

One of my best friends lives in Florida, he's in Orlando, but financially he's pretty close to being able to afford just about whatever he wants. He's a frugal guy, though, but he's a doctor pulling in $465K/year with a potential raise to $650K in a year or so. He's not rich by net worth, but at the rate he's saving, that'll change really fast with that income. I'm jealous lol.

Last edited by JonathanLB; 06-18-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
correct...
heres more of how I was figuring things...

lets say you were a buyer in 2011 at the crash....you bought a steal for 180k (maybe a 2500sf in a good area).... so today its worth (hypothetically) 350k... you want to sell..and stay in Vegas..

you are not going to get any "better" home because you sold when it was "inflated" and now are buying with those "inflated" dollars....

I will never understand why people are buying the new builds in the 300-400 range.. maybe its the "new home smell"

the backyards are horrifyingly small and you can touch (literally) the neighbors house..

I don't know the high end pricing and such, so this probably doesn't apply.

the only way to make the money, is to buy cheap (2011), sell now, and then move out of the area to an economical area...

I think it is a huge risk to buy a house in Vegas to flip....

We looked at some new builds yesterday in the 3-4 range. Of course the "yard" is basically a patio- which I hate. A lot of people were looking- most with California plates. I'd rather buy a used house that has upgrades, a pool and if no pool a decent back yard. I think the prices are crazy, but people are buying.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:09 AM

Yeah for me I wouldn’t move to Vegas without a pool. Not a chance. Pool isn’t a want on my list it’s a need lol. I love swimming, as a kid I lived in our pool all summer, and the feel of an endless summer is a big part of why I love Vegas. Sure you have 3 months of not being able to use it but that’s no big deal - that’s Golden Knights time anyway!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:06 AM

929 posts, read 399,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I'm doing exactly the same thing also.... our house that we sold in Vegas closes on the 25th..... we already bought the house in Florida for a steal..

I'm actually considering buying a second house as an investment there, just like a did here...

however, my rental house that I bought here was in 2006, absolutely the worst time (my luck)... it is getting very close to what I paid for it, so next year, that will be sold

the house that we live in, that we just sold, was bought in 2008 so we are definitely making some money on it.... The real estate agents that I interviewed at first, really low balled the house value... I passed on hiring them.... I went with Redfin..... The ones that I interviewed said 320ish..... I sold at full list (well almost $250 less) 384,500

When it sold (on the first day), once again I was told by the others, it will never appraise....it appraised at $386000. Granted, my house is like no other in the development... but I had the naysayers...

So go with your gut... when you are interviewing the potential realtors, if you are thinking that they are lowballing the value, go with your gut and walk away... and whatever you do... do not and I repeat, do not pay a 6% commission in this market.
Thank you for the info and it looks I'm in the same boat as you. $326K to $384K thats a huge difference. So I didn't even think of interviewing agents as I thought it's not necessary and was just gonna hire one from the neighborhood, but I should think twice. Why would they lowball it I mean aren't they the ones that supposed to have the tools to price the house right?

I'd like to think the Providence area is a desirable community, the new Smith at Skye Canyon is now open and a new charter school(Somerset) about 5 minutes away will open this school year. With that said, how much commission, you reckon I should pay? Also, any suggestions on best place online to get a home value estimate?

Old 06-18-2018, 12:43 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah for me I wouldn’t move to Vegas without a pool. Not a chance. Pool isn’t a want on my list it’s a need lol. I love swimming, as a kid I lived in our pool all summer, and the feel of an endless summer is a big part of why I love Vegas. Sure you have 3 months of not being able to use it but that’s no big deal - that’s Golden Knights time anyway!

If I can't be near the ocean I want a pool. My husband doesn't want to take care of it, but I don't mind.

Or, I told him to get me a house in Rhodes Ranch since they cool amenities.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:12 PM

Just tell him he doesn’t have to take care of it, that’s what services are for!

Sounds like my GF, she would rather we be near the ocean than Vegas, specifically she loves Hawaii but for me I couldn’t live in Hawaii because it’s just too far away. The situation that would lead me to living in Hawaii is depressing, like I guess if my dad died and I was a total failure in my career and gave up on my dreams, maybe I could move to an island 5 hours away from the mainland but otherwise it’s not realistic.

In fact for me Vegas makes more sense than almost anywhere else because already when you’re in the film industry I’m sure there are plenty of people who think you have to be in LA, but in Vegas you’re 30 minutes away by plane and a 4 hour drive. Yet you avoid the traffic of living there and high taxes. It’s perfect

Old 06-18-2018, 01:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
ours could be used year round.... gas heated.....coolest thing, swimming in January, pool at 102 degrees with the spa jets (I have spa jets IN the pool, no separate spa), and seeing the steam come off the water with the massagers going...

Old 06-18-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Thank you for the info and it looks I'm in the same boat as you. $326K to $384K thats a huge difference. So I didn't even think of interviewing agents as I thought it's not necessary and was just gonna hire one from the neighborhood, but I should think twice. Why would they lowball it I mean aren't they the ones that supposed to have the tools to price the house right?

I'd like to think the Providence area is a desirable community, the new Smith at Skye Canyon is now open and a new charter school(Somerset) about 5 minutes away will open this school year. With that said, how much commission, you reckon I should pay? Also, any suggestions on best place online to get a home value estimate?
in my opinion, they know that they can sell it in a day or two at the lowball price, and put no effort and just collect the commission. I used Redfin, because they are not commissioned.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Redfin and Redfin ONLY. 1.5% to selling agent.... 2.5% to buying agent.. total 4%. If you pay 6% on a 400k sale, You are throwing away 8,000!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:

for home value, Zillow has an estimator and then add 15%

My agent (pm me if you want) was awesome.... I insisted on 55 pictures, that I approve first (no blurry pics, no ridiculous toilet pics). I staged the house with our furniture... I don't like looking at empty homes.... I also insisted on 3D Imaging and Drone which they did, however it wasn't uploaded to the mls, because we sold the house in less than a day..

if you want to see the pictures,

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...m/?view=public

I also did the home description myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas