Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:51 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
Please someone explain. Why Victorville? What is it about Victorville? Thanks.
Not sure the exact reason for stopping at Victorville, but did read that the company would plan to eventually extend it another some 80 Miles to Los Angeles. Possibly the route from Vegas to Victorville had the easiest acquisition of land. The land from Victorville to Los Angeles is much more densely populated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 11:36 AM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I only drove LA to LV (round trip) once. The road was never empty. Off the road was completely empty to the horizon.

I once drove out to Valley of Fire from LV. Outbound I went through Lake Mead Recreation area, so two lane roads out (which were interesting in and of themselves.) On the way back I drove through the Indian Reservation out to the 15 and back down to Vegas. That stretch of road was stone cold empty. I could drive minutes without seeing another car. Unfortunately I was in a generic low end rental. So their was a severe limit to the performance I had available to enjoy the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah that was the first time I ever went 100 in my Camaro, driving it back from Vegas to LA. I had looked behind me and in front and in one of those really rare moments on the road there was nobody. I couldn’t see anything but desert, so I figured if not now, then when? It was anticlimactic to say the least, the car handles 100 so easily and the road is so open and straight that it felt like 70 haha.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:37 AM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I'm guessing right of way issues are driving the peculiarities of this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Not sure the exact reason for stopping at Victorville, but did read that the company would plan to eventually extend it another some 80 Miles to Los Angeles. Possibly the route from Vegas to Victorville had the easiest acquisition of land. The land from Victorville to Los Angeles is much more densely populated.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
I was just reading one of our daily LA papers here and the article mentioned a spur from Victorville over to Palmdale, which makes a lot more sense.

Palmdale has access to Downtown LA via the Metrolink system.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:30 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I only drove LA to LV (round trip) once. The road was never empty. Off the road was completely empty to the horizon.

I once drove out to Valley of Fire from LV. Outbound I went through Lake Mead Recreation area, so two lane roads out (which were interesting in and of themselves.) On the way back I drove through the Indian Reservation out to the 15 and back down to Vegas. That stretch of road was stone cold empty. I could drive minutes without seeing another car. Unfortunately I was in a generic low end rental. So their was a severe limit to the performance I had available to enjoy the drive.
Yeah, I found it kind of amazing too, I have driven the Las Vegas to Los Angeles route a number of times and in general it's never empty, there are times it's absolutely horrible, ahem Sunday afternoon / evening. This particular time, there was light traffic in general, but at that specific moment I couldn't see a single car in front of me or behind me, just open desert as far as the eye could see. It was actually rather eerie, but it seemed too perfect not to open it up and have fun for a minute or two.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:39 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
I wish, people drive so slow on the I-15
Right!! One time I got pulled over by CHP for going freaking 80, I told him it's literally the middle of nowhere!! Going down the hill coming to Primm is awesome though everyone's going 100+.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:51 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Its cheap to build to Victorville, the Cajon pass is difficult as stated in the article. That's probably where the Chinese Company had rights to initially.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:34 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah that was the first time I ever went 100 in my Camaro, driving it back from Vegas to LA. I had looked behind me and in front and in one of those really rare moments on the road there was nobody. I couldn’t see anything but desert, so I figured if not now, then when? It was anticlimactic to say the least, the car handles 100 so easily and the road is so open and straight that it felt like 70 haha.
You've never driven the desolate roads of rural NV, where there's no cops or other cars on the road? Yes, you must slow down for the itty bitty towns, particularly Ely, but once outside those areas: 100-120MPH! I've done 3 rural NV trips, and I averaged 100MPH a good part of the time!

I read about this company in The Economist, and with their financial backing, this just may materialize yet! 92MPH is OK with me. I've ridden some of those bullet-type trains, and I never cared for them as at 200 MPH, everything is a blur, you may as well be in a plane!

Old 09-26-2018, 01:58 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You've never driven the desolate roads of rural NV, where there's no cops or other cars on the road? Yes, you must slow down for the itty bitty towns, particularly Ely, but once outside those areas: 100-120MPH! I've done 3 rural NV trips, and I averaged 100MPH a good part of the time!

I read about this company in The Economist, and with their financial backing, this just may materialize yet! 92MPH is OK with me. I've ridden some of those bullet-type trains, and I never cared for them as at 200 MPH, everything is a blur, you may as well be in a plane!
How is a plane better?

This doesn't come down to personal preference. Trains win every time vs flying.

Save for private jets, flying short distances is one of the most inconvenient methods of transportation.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:21 PM

452 posts, read 336,596 times
This stupid train better have 5G internet on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: