Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times

Advertisements

We had planned on retiring in Henderson, and have looked at houses in the past. In the past 6 years housing prices have risen, and we're not sure if it's still a good move for us. We had our sites set on Anthem, but that is a tough market - if the house is priced right and updated it sells pretty fast. The houses that need updating or repair the price doesn't always reflect it, so we've looked in other developments also.

We did find a house located in Tuscany on the Chimera Golf Course, we both liked the house, but are concerned about living on the golf course. It appeared there were at least 4 repairs to the stucco on the back of the house, so I would imagine the house has been hit by golf balls in the past - although my husband (who used to golf) finds it difficult for someone to hit the ball in that direction - obviously it is possible. My parents lived on a golf course in KY and had many broken windows, so they sold and moved back to our home state. So I am very concerned about buying a house located on a golf course.

Anyone have any experience either with Tuscany, living on Chimera Golf course? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
If you were considering Anthem, I think you would be very disappointed living on on Chimera golf course. It is off the face of the planet, so to speak.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM

That was one concern my husband had is it is pretty far out. Thanks for your response!

Old 04-18-2019, 11:03 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Unless you are going to play golf, why pay extra to live on a golf course? I have a friend who did this specifically because they wanted to have the golf course for walking in the evenings so he likes it. Then there is the issue with golf ball damage. Last I have heard homes on golf courses are often burglarized. Thieves use the golf course to approach your house undetected.

But if you want that big uninterrupted view the golf course is one of the few places that's available.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Oddly enough the house on the golf course is more affordable than Anthem, larger and updated - so the only thing more expensive are the HOA.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:14 PM

124 posts, read 105,589 times
Hi RJ,

We don't live in Tuscany, but know the area very well. We have friends there.

RE" "out there", it is Henderson. You are literally 5 minutes from Galleria Mall, shopping, etc.

Just don't use Lake Mead for access. From 215, the part of Lake Mead you drive through is, well, sketchy. Old, old Henderson.

So Galleria Dr is your friend. A couple block of commercial, but it's not old & nasty.

We like that Tuscany is private, guard gated 24/7, and offers a quieter lifestyle than most places closer in. Closer to airport than all points No of Lone Mountain.

If the place you're looking at is from 50-300yds of a tee box, basically parallel to the fairway, then you may get the odd ball, as it were. Tall trees or even netting will stop them (already a house with netting). All golf course homes are subject to this, nothing unique about Chimera.

From a VALUE perspective, the area is fantastic - provided safety, security and amazing views are high on your list.

-von

PS - after writing this I realized how much we like the area. Not Cadence or LLV, just Tuscany. We're going to look at available properties.

Last edited by VonZimmer; 04-18-2019 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: update

Old 04-18-2019, 08:13 PM

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:33 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Your husband has never played golf with me. Trust me, I could find a way to hit just about anything. I'd like to take up golf again, but my god that sport is frustrating. My dad used to joke he learned how to swear on the golf course. We wanted to avoid a golf course house even though at least half of the extremely nice communities are on golf courses, so that makes it tough. I just didn't like the idea -- call me paranoid -- of swimming outside and then what if a golf ball comes and knocks me on the head, then I drown in my own pool. Granted, a lot of those houses don't even have room for pools, but the ones that do have them... I couldn't get that mental image out of my head. Incredibly unlikely, for sure, but not impossible.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 AM

Funny you say that, I used to golf with my husband but also found it very frustrating. That is definitely a concern about living on a golf course - very torn, it's so nice to have that beautiful view in the back yard instead of a solid block wall, but it comes at the risk of the random golf ball. This house is not directly on the course, so not an issue of privacy or burglary, but obviously a few golf balls have been hit into the yard over the last 11 years.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 PM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Too close to the old TMI toxic waste dump. Then again, tney're now building houses ON the toxic waste dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: