Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:09 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times

Advertisements

I was curious about all the budget and education strife in CCSD. I found this article as a good basic rundown on where the mj money is going:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/ju...ing-in-nevada/

An interesting excerpt from the article:

"Money in the DSA gets distributed to districts across the state on a per pupil basis, but allocations will change under Nevada’s new education funding formula. The new formula will no longer be “circular,” meaning new money from outside sources added to the DSA – including money from marijuana excise wholesale and retail taxes – is offset by an equivalent reduction in state funds."

Maybe I am misinterpreting the quoted passage, but creating MORE funding for education was the premise of new tax revenue--not an "offset". Pardon my skepticism, nothing as simple as collecting a tax and increasing education funding--gotta git in there and legislate the money through a legal maze so a dollar goes in and a penny comes out. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 08:34 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
Government: Its like Lucy pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown

Old 07-20-2019, 09:17 AM

555 posts, read 775,548 times
the formula WAS circular.... going forward... that won't be the case. The formula that was in place (for distribution of money to individual school districts) was from the 1960s.... a revamp of the formula/system was long overdue.

The State imposes a 15% tax on cannabis at the wholesale price and then a 10% excise tax at retail. in 2017, State GOP voted against the 10% tax unless they got approval for private school reimbursement vouchers... that didn't pass, so the 10% tax went to the state's rainy day fund. the state provided the education fund with the equivalent amount of the 10% tax, nonetheless.

The 15% wholesale tax goes to the education fund (minus the administrative cost and a 5M cut to local governments)

At the local government level, they're using the licensing fees , assessments for various programs, including homelessness.

Relying on cannabis as a major funding source for education is risky because excise taxes are not as stable as property and business taxes. If you rely too much on this revenue stream, you will have a deficit when consumer usage goes down.

All in all, Nevada still only spends about $10k per kid , which may not be enough considering how many kids are in bad situations because of issues at home, bad parents, non-native speakers, parents that don't care etc... then you have issues with teacher retention/vacancies which can be costly.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:28 AM

755 posts, read 399,946 times
Let's hire a few hundred Philippinos who can't speak English to teach the kids.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Let's hire a few hundred Philippinos who can't speak English to teach the kids.
oh, you mean Filipinos. Who are from the Filippines lol.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:04 AM

I guess.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:06 AM

https://www.ktnv.com/news/57-special...csd-classrooms

Old 07-20-2019, 10:09 AM

Sure, why not, we have no official language or borders anyway.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:30 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
Relying on cannabis as a major funding source for education is risky because excise taxes are not as stable as property and business taxes. If you rely too much on this revenue stream, you will have a deficit when consumer usage goes down.
I appreciate your comments. I still believe pulling a programmed state dollar for every weed dollar added is a wash for education. The process does not abandon budgeted amounts or fiscal responsibility, but it is still political smoke and mirrors.

As for the county pledging $$ to homelessness projects out of licensing revenue--it will be interesting to see if anything changes over the next 2-3 years.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:42 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post

As for the county pledging $$ to homelessness projects out of licensing revenue--it will be interesting to see if anything changes over the next 2-3 years.
I expect there will be many consultants hired who in turn will create many PowerPoint slide decks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas