Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 05:03 PM

261 posts, read 235,878 times

Advertisements

I must say there are some clueless folks when it comes to RE management and investing on this site. So negative , and they know little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 05:14 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,648,813 times
No, I’m just not a clueless liberal who thinks high taxes HELP the economy. Our corporate tax rate was the highest in the industrial world! But no, you’re right, it’s totally all Obama why the economy is buzzing. Get real! You want to talk about clueless and myopic, that’s liberals. They’re on the wrong side of history.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,078,899 times
Insurance rates do go up when you actually need to cover everyone and can't just kick off people with pre-existing conditions. Part of creating a society that functions for all.

Wouldn't want that health insurance increase so people who get cancer can receive health coverage cutting in to your million dollar modern house budget. Might have to cut back on that infinity edge pool, fire pit, and built in pizza oven backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I thank Obama for nothing but a 200% increase in my health insurance rates and terrible foreign policy.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,383,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Insurance rates do go up when you actually need to cover everyone and can't just kick off people with pre-existing conditions. Part of creating a society that functions for all.

Wouldn't want that health insurance increase so people who get cancer can receive health coverage cutting in to your million dollar modern house budget. Might have to cut back on that infinity edge pool, fire pit, and built in pizza oven backyard.
Actually it is kind of ironic. In my entire life I never paid a dime for health insurance until I got Medicare.

My parents both had excellent health insurance and then I went to work for a Fortune 50 company and never had to pay a dime

So thanks to ERISA I had to give up my free plans and go with Medicare which ends up costing me just over a $1,000 a month.

By the way before ERISA my employer was committed to paying my health insurance for ever. So be careful of Feds bringing gifts.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,078,899 times
I too have employer provided insurance, however I do participate in the cost.

For the most part, I agree, people with professional jobs don't have a health insurance issue.

However people with menial jobs, and self employed, and (this one is particular egregious) people who get so sick they cannot work, they are the ones who do have a health insurance issue.

While I don't have an insurance issue, I don't like to see my co-workers, friends, and neighbors have to set up Go Fund Me's to try and pay 100k doctor bills because insurance is effectively not affordable unless an employer is heavily subsidizing it. I've had co-workers who got so sick they literally could not work and had to quit their job. Their only saving grace was they had a spouse who worked and luckily got benefits otherwise it would have been bankruptcy for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually it is kind of ironic. In my entire life I never paid a dime for health insurance until I got Medicare.

My parents both had excellent health insurance and then I went to work for a Fortune 50 company and never had to pay a dime

So thanks to ERISA I had to give up my free plans and go with Medicare which ends up costing me just over a $1,000 a month.

By the way before ERISA my employer was committed to paying my health insurance for ever. So be careful of Feds bringing gifts.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:26 PM

23,255 posts, read 29,103,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, I’m just not a clueless liberal who thinks high taxes HELP the economy. Our corporate tax rate was the highest in the industrial world! But no, you’re right, it’s totally all Obama why the economy is buzzing. Get real! You want to talk about clueless and myopic, that’s liberals. They’re on the wrong side of history.
If the Great Recession had fallen on Trump's lap, we'd still be in a Recession, as he'd have been clueless as how to stimulate the economy. What he would have done, given the lousy businessman he's been (the bankruptcies) is he would have cut the taxes on the rich to 0% (Trickle down theory that doesn't work and never will) and tore up more environmental regulations, deluding himself into thinking that would turn the economy around. He's doing the same with our country as he did with his businesses, bankruptcy!

Old 03-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
He doesn't offend me. I find humor in him!
Yes, his gaffes are equally as amusing as Joe Biden's!

Old 03-09-2020, 08:47 PM

1,086 posts, read 748,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If the Great Recession had fallen on Trump's lap, we'd still be in a Recession, as he'd have been clueless as how to stimulate the economy. What he would have done, given the lousy businessman he's been (the bankruptcies) is he would have cut the taxes on the rich to 0% (Trickle down theory that doesn't work and never will) and tore up more environmental regulations, deluding himself into thinking that would turn the economy around. He's doing the same with our country as he did with his businesses, bankruptcy!
I don't disagree with your post but semi-related it's interesting that in super-liberal California it costs over $100k to get the building permits to build a house and, coincidentally, there is no affordable housing. I wonder if we took away some of that liberal red tape housing might be more affordable!? I don't know but am really asking.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:52 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,671,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You seem to think POTUS has powers that are not there. The President of the United States does not have the power to either raise or cut taxes.

There is no such thing as Trickle Down Economics. It is not an economic theory. It does not exist. It was first used by humorist Will Rodgers in stand-up routines back in the 1930s. It is a straw-man phrase used by some on the far left to rile up the uneducated, unthinking and highly impressionable - the liberal equivalent of conservative's "Welfare Queens."

Hindsight is 20-20, of course, but economists generally attribute the Obama administrations' anti-business policies with lengthening the recession and delaying the recovery. Even liberal Democratic Mayor Oscar Goodman twice -- not once, but twice -- had to school Obama on his anti-Las Vegas rhetoric.
"I'll tell you this - This President [Obama] is a Real. Slow. Learner."
https://youtu.be/uFeUvM0M7cA

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 03-09-2020 at 11:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I don't disagree with your post but semi-related it's interesting that in super-liberal California it costs over $100k to get the building permits to build a house and, coincidentally, there is no affordable housing. I wonder if we took away some of that liberal red tape housing might be more affordable!? I don't know but am really asking.
Zoning in Nimbyized San Francisco only allows the construction of, roughly, 3 story buildings to be built in 80% of the city. It can take years to get a building approved and constructed. Not much different in the entire Bay area, notably San Jose, Berkeley, Oakland, Palo Alto. If one were to rezone the entire Bay area, chase out the Nimby's, you could potentially see 100+ cranes rise to the skies. The "kings and queens" of the SF hills don't want any structure to mar their view of the Bay. Never mind there's high rises going up in the DT area and the Mission district, no problem, as that blocks their views of the shipyards.

L.A. is still, archaically, zoned for single family homes in 72% of the city. It can even be a struggle to get a mid rise built near a light rail station. A developer wanted to build Santa Monica's first high rise, only 21 stories, first high rise since 1970, and you'd think the developer was going to build a toxic waste dump! Project squashed.

Here's another city, L.A., if you re-zoned, chased out the Nimby's, cranes rising to the skies everywhere.

And let's not overlook the CA Coastal Commission, that won't allow any high rises along the entire CA coastline. The ones you see there that exist were built pre-1970.

Minneapolis, as liberal as San Francisco, just opened up the city to liberalized zoning. That means if someone wants to build a triplex next to a single family home, so be it!

This is a problem I don't think any President can solve, or the recently created YIMBY'S in the Bay area.

Last edited by tijlover; 03-10-2020 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas