Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the closure of non-essential businesses in Las Vegas for COVID-19?
Yes 35 60.34%
No 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 02:04 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,073,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Don't go blaming teachers. We started holding video conferences through Zoom and the district banned the app. We were told anything we post online cannot be graded. We were told not to take attendance. Our admin directed us to post one lesson a week. And if you do something otherwise, you're written up for insubordination by admin who have been granted unlimited power. This is literally CCSD's "digital learning plan".

CCSD is an absolute disaster and I hope they never reopen brick and mortar schools. No more fights now that school is closed. No more drugs in the bathroom. No more students cussing out teachers. No more trash being left everywhere. No more technology being destroyed. No more constant interruptions during lessons. No more student bullying.

Students and parents have so much more accountability with digital learning. No more lying about their behavior, it's all on video. No more lying about what the teacher did, it's all on video. No more lying about how they did an assignment and the teacher didn't grade it, it's all digital.
CCSD had all of the classrooms on video already in either 1080p or 4K depending on when the system was installed. The audio is also recorded and all of it can be monitored remotely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I actually have read it and have been a business owner and have right leaning politics. Doesn't matter. A month or so without income should not destroy any one or any business. If it does, you were on borrowed time for sure. If it wasn't a virus, it could be any number of things that would bring you down. If 2008 didn't wake you up to restructuring things, I doubt this will either.

I've said before that this can all be boiled down to whether you think the virus is a serious threat or not. If you do, then what we are doing is the right thing. If you do not, then it's madness. Lets cut the window dressing and simplify the poll. Do you think it's a serious threat or not?
You're incorrect. No business plans a slush fund for being completely closed for months on end.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I would not expect that at all. We have lower population density relative to East Coast cities. I also typically think of people on the West Coast being healthier on average than people on the East Coast (i.e., healthier lifestyle habits and less stress).
You consider the rampant meth and steroid use by west coasters to be healthier?

Old 04-09-2020, 02:10 PM

4,041 posts, read 1,916,692 times
The models were not wrong, and they are not like the climate models. The climate models - unlike the virus models - have absolutely zero way of verifying them. None at all.

The virus models, on the other hand, have been verified and refined for hundreds or thousands of viruses for a hundred years. The "model" for viruses is not a guess but a repeatable and accurate estimate of the answer to a math problem.

If the information changes, you can change your data, and your model gives a different number. Now with that in mind - do you think they just changed the model to match what they saw out the window? Or - is it possible - likely, even - that the MASSIVE SHUTDOWN limited the "spread" rate - and so the input / data changed - and now a responsible scientist adjusts his model..?

They didn't change it because the models were wrong. They changed it because people who stayed home changed the course of the virus - and so those same people - the people that stayed home - changed the model.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:15 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,165,363 times
Lmmfao. People ARE NOT staying home. The fact is this virus is bunk. No different than any other seasonal infection.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The models were not wrong, and they are not like the climate models. The climate models - unlike the virus models - have absolutely zero way of verifying them. None at all.

The virus models, on the other hand, have been verified and refined for hundreds or thousands of viruses for a hundred years. The "model" for viruses is not a guess but a repeatable and accurate estimate of the answer to a math problem.

If the information changes, you can change your data, and your model gives a different number. Now with that in mind - do you think they just changed the model to match what they saw out the window? Or - is it possible - likely, even - that the MASSIVE SHUTDOWN limited the "spread" rate - and so the input / data changed - and now a responsible scientist adjusts his model..?

They didn't change it because the models were wrong. They changed it because people who stayed home changed the course of the virus - and so those same people - the people that stayed home - changed the model.
I disagree. You cannot accurately model random probability. There is no real projection because they keep putting in more data and the model keeps changing.

I don't believe that the "medical community" can predict the spread of a virus any more accurately than the weatherman can predict the weather.

What we do know is that the majority of the decisions being made in this state have been made based on predictions of the IHME model, and that those predictions have been wildly inaccurate - not only here, but in every state except for Wisconsin.

I don't know about you, but when I watch a weatherman on the evening news and he's always wrong about the weather, I change the channel.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Lmmfao. People ARE NOT staying home. The fact is this virus is bunk. No different than any other seasonal infection.
Add to that, it is now going to be a seasonal infection. This is going to be on the CDC flu monitoring list indefinitely just like SARS, H1N1, etc.

The sooner we rip off the band-aid and get herd immunity going, the sooner we can get things back to a state of normalcy.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:35 PM

848 posts, read 653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
You consider the rampant meth and steroid use by west coasters to be healthier?

It's all relative as I said. If you have links to illegal drug use by type of drug for each area, I am happy to review them. Regardless, if you can't tell by now, I generally share your view on this matter. I also believe that weather has a major influence on things which is why states like Nevada, Arizona, and California are not as bad off as New York and New Jersey. Here is a link to a University of Maryland study from almost a month ago which has been almost completely ignored by the media and our national, state, and local leaders probably because it does not fit their narrative.

https://today.umd.edu/articles/predi...a-cb5ab866f46a

Old 04-09-2020, 03:39 PM

848 posts, read 653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

IHME, which was founded in 2007 and has not been around for a hundred years building models, made it clear that their projections assumed measures which would be taken in a massive shutdown through May. They definitely changed their projections multiple times because their models were wrong. That is not even up for debate at this point.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:48 PM

1,086 posts, read 757,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Don't go blaming teachers. We started holding video conferences through Zoom and the district banned the app. We were told anything we post online cannot be graded. We were told not to take attendance. Our admin directed us to post one lesson a week. And if you do something otherwise, you're written up for insubordination by admin who have been granted unlimited power. This is literally CCSD's "digital learning plan".

CCSD is an absolute disaster and I hope they never reopen brick and mortar schools. No more fights now that school is closed. No more drugs in the bathroom. No more students cussing out teachers. No more trash being left everywhere. No more technology being destroyed. No more constant interruptions during lessons. No more student bullying.

Students and parents have so much more accountability with digital learning. No more lying about their behavior, it's all on video. No more lying about what the teacher did, it's all on video. No more lying about how they did an assignment and the teacher didn't grade it, it's all digital.
I hear ya but get a new career. You sound burnt out. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas