Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 PM

13 posts, read 177,492 times

Advertisements

Okay, you guys have been so great in alleviating my fears over funky critters, I had to go ahead an ask another question.

I've lived in Florida all my life, with some brief periods in Pennsylvania, so all my life has been spent in wetter climates.

My question is this: Is there anything I need to know about living in a dryer climate? I'm actually kind of looking forward to it, but I want to know if there's anything in particular that I need to be aware of.

Thanks!
~Jayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,645 times
Dry skin. If moving into a home I suggest having a water softener. I don't know if the wind has a lot to do with it, but my skin gets really dry. I keep a bottle of lotion in my purse, car, living room, bedroom, and bathrooms!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 PM

13 posts, read 177,492 times
Sounds about right. I get that here in the winter (our "dry" season, lol).

Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
You don't really need a clothes dryer. You will also need sunscreen. Have a purse big enough to carry a water bottle. You'll love it!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:09 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Just keep hydrated.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
You will think you aren't perspiring...you are. It just drys so fast you don't realize it. Drink lots of water. The soft water thing is true because the water here is so hard the minerals stick to your skin...sometimes...not always.

You will get Vegas throat. Be prepared for it. You may be able to avoid it by taking some precautions. When you first arrive in the desert your mucus membranes need to get acclimated to the dry air and the air conditioning. They dry out, and possibly (probably) will cause a throat infection. You'll have a cold in other words. One thing you can try is to add some humidity to your home. Another thing is get some honey and keep your throat coated with it, or chew ice all day...and I mean ALL day. Check with a health food store. They might have a better solution. Or go online and see what you come up with.

Go to Fantastic Swap Meet and in the very back of the place is a booth that sells the world's best windshield shades for your car. Guy's name is Avi. These shades are mounted permanently on each side of the windshield and pull toward the middle where they connect with Velcro. Also get your car windows tinted.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:15 AM

638 posts, read 2,243,116 times
You may miss the rain, but on the flip side you will be able plan any outdoor event with never a thought about "what if it rains".

I got a few nose bleeds when I first moved here. Just during the first few weeks. Also, all of my allergies stopped when I moved to the desert UNTIL this year. I must be fully acclimated now because this year they came back with a vengeance.

The sky here is such a deep crystal blue on certain days it is really impressive. Back East the sky always seems white with haze or high clouds. Seems to be quite windy especially lately. We need some wind farms built here. Seems like a waste not to harness it.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,645 times
You mknow my allergies seem to get worse every year. The last couple of years we have had little rain and a lot of wind. We had a thing that if it rained that my Mother in law would make cookies. Lets just say I am sick of making cookies!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
I can't even remember what rain looks like...... and I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:17 PM

40 posts, read 120,633 times
I have dry cracked heals and sometimes get nose bleeds. It is really bad on your nose. The cracked heals....I deal with that by moisturizing my feet and then putting socks on. I carry lotion in my car and my purse. You will be fine. It sounds a lot worse than it really is. No one everdied from dry skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas