Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 03:14 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,716,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
I'm looking at the possibility of retiring there next year. Not been there yet but plan to scope out Henderson, Summerlin and Centennial based on all the comments here. What we're considering is LV as the primary residence but then leaving from Jun-Aug for cooler, northern weather. Not an original idea for sure.

September was mighty warm this year too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 5,876 times
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the different communities.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:21 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,657,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
FYI, I don’t live in Las Vegas and never would but have a very good friend who does. She hates it, and is considering moving back to California again.
It most certainly is not for everyone. That she is considering moving BACK to California speaks volumes about your friend, not about Las Vegas.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:26 AM

Mark Davis (LV Raiders owner) bought a vacant lot in Henderson (Ascaya) for something like $6 Million on which to build his house.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:14 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
Let me ask you a question, If you hate Las Vegas so much, why do you come on a Las Vegas thread? Bitter?
I retired here 3 years ago and love it. I am from Texas and I laugh at what some people call heat in Las Vegas. I'm 58 and only Hybernate in the Winter months, oh that is right we don't have Winter.
Calif. offers crime, high taxes, idiot liberals and don't forget the wild fires every year, due to their mis management. Let's build a wall and keep the loonies locked in Calif. Yes, I lived in San Diego, could not wait to get out.
You would have nailed it but left out the other obvious; traffic on a major freeway at almost any time.

Nowadays, not as much traffic since venues and events are partially closed due to the communist dictator Gov. and mayors.
Vegas does have some serious crimes with some movie worthy car chases in the streets.

I heard the same from another person who moved to Vegas from Dallas. She said Texas is hotter in the summer. I exp'd that too in Austin about 10 years ago. It was 105-110 with humidity. That's lights out hot.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:11 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes. Hopefully you can get in to read this despite the paywall.
Interesting. I've long believed that the upper midwest will be a growing region in the near future

Old 10-24-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
. "I also didn't find prices to be that much cheaper, if at all, for comparable houses in Henderson v. Summerlin. There is often a difference like view, lot size, location, etc... and thus the people that say "a million dollar house in Henderson is $1.2m in Summerlin for the exact same house" are playing loose with the word "exact"
Thank you for sharing your perspective on the cost differences. I have heard the same thing but didn't know about the distinction between the areas to understand why there would be a difference.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:37 PM

All of your opinions are appreciated. I will take a look at each suggested neighborhood and assess cost and HOAs. As a soon to be retired person my priorities are low crime, moderate costs as long as HOAs and property taxes are reasonable and proximity to shopping. The clubs are not important to us. Thank you.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:50 PM

211 posts, read 189,259 times
Hey highdesertdweller

When you share that you're considering the Las Vegas area for retirement, are you getting any strange looks, comments or just plain shock as a reaction? We are....almost everyone I mention it to says something along the lines of "really??" or "I can't see you in Las Vegas" or even just plain "WTF??"

Example: You can live in Chicago, meaning actually downtown in any one of the central city neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Old Town, Bucktown, etc. OR, you can live 30 mi. outside Chicago in Naperville, or "land of the Mega SUV and Juice box" as I like to call it. When people from Naperville are traveling, they'll often say they live in Chicago, which couldn't be further from the truth. These are two VERY distinct and different places, despite being just 30 miles apart. My point is...is Henderson or Summerlin actually distinct and separate enough from the crass strip area to feel like a different place, or no?

Old 10-24-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
My point is...is Henderson or Summerlin actually distinct and separate enough from the crass strip area to feel like a different place, or no?
When you live in the suburbs such as Henderson or Summerlin, you'll feel like you could be in any suburb anywhere. The difference: the grocery stores typically have some slot machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas