Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 03:28 PM

8 posts, read 5,876 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am sure this forum has a slew of people in So CA who have asked this question before... If so please feel free to post what you believe are relevant links to address my question. Our situation is I am 63 (my wife is 59) and we plan on leaving So CA in another 4 years for retirement. Needless to say So CA is not the place to retire for a variety of reasons. We visited Summerlin and Henderson on a 2 day turn around last year. Both were nice and had their unique aspects that were equally appealing. What areas of NV (within a 45 minute radius of the strip) would you recommend for retirees? We value diversity, low crime and access to shopping and dining. We would prefer to keep our housing costs within a range of $350K to $450K if we were to purchase a home (now). We do have the finances to buy now and rent it until we move - FYI only. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 03:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 747,398 times
I'd wait 4 years and then buy. Going to be more new homes being built during those 4 years. New 55+ Lenar Heritage (I think it is) being built in Summerlin soon. They might start in that price range!? Sunstone is a brand new development that doesn't even start until next year so in 2021 should be ripe in 4 years.

Old 09-24-2020, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 5,876 times
Thanks for the perspective. There are pros and cons to waiting and right now interest rates are very low. Also the idea of buying now at lower prices seems attractive too. I'm in a Lennar built home now so I like their design and smart technology integration with Alexa. So you think Summerlin over Henderson? If so why?

Old 09-24-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertdweller View Post
Thanks for the perspective. There are pros and cons to waiting and right now interest rates are very low. Also the idea of buying now at lower prices seems attractive too. I'm in a Lennar built home now so I like their design and smart technology integration with Alexa. So you think Summerlin over Henderson? If so why?
You will find countless threads on this question. I believe the nice parts of Henderson (like Green Valley and Anthem) are very similar to most of Summerlin. We prefer Summerlin because (unless we missed a short cut) it's much closer to the freeway, Downtown Summerlin is much bigger than the District at Green Valley, and for US the drive from the freeway into the nice areas of Henderson like Anthem are just strip mall after strip mall after strip mall. I also didn't find prices to be that much cheaper, if at all, for comparable houses in Henderson v. Summerlin. There is often a difference like view, lot size, location, etc... and thus the people that say "a million dollar house in Henderson is $1.2m in Summerlin for the exact same house" are playing loose with the word "exact" in my looking around. However, I am no expert. I like both Henderson and Summerlin. Oh ya, and if you want to be a little remote the Lake Las Vegas area of Henderson is really nice but is just a bit remote for us. Nothing exactly like LLV in Summerlin.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:42 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,620 times
There are nice areas in Southern Highlands. It is also close to the freeway, but unlike Summerlin, it is a very short freeway drive to the airport, strip, or I15 south to LA. The Southern Highlands golf course communities are a 5 minute drive to the Raider's practice facility. Jon Gruden and Derek Carr live here. The LVRJ just reported that Shaquille O'Neal recently purchased a house here as well.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
There are nice areas in Southern Highlands. It is also close to the freeway, but unlike Summerlin, it is a very short freeway drive to the airport, strip, or I15 south to LA. The Southern Highlands golf course communities are a 5 minute drive to the Raider's practice facility. Jon Gruden and Derek Carr live here. The LVRJ just reported that Shaquille O'Neal recently purchased a house here as well.
Agreed that too is a very nice area. It was a bit far to get to restaurants and bars but looked real nice. I don't really care about the Raiders practice facility unless I am a Raider. If anything it might have been too close to the freeway - noise wise. However, definitely top 3 of the areas we considered.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,716,459 times
Check out Rose Ridge by Lennar, it's in 89052 but it's not 55+ if that matters. I'm not sure how many houses are available, it's near completion but they are still building. I saw a for sale sign the other day when I was driving through.

I like the location, lots of restaurants and all the typical shopping stuff. Close to the airport and The Strip, easy to get on the 215 to go east or west and then north. If you want something different, Providence in the Northwest is nice (89149), I lived there for a while too.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
Look at 89129 - lone mountain and 89149 - centennial hills. Both just north of Summerlin - a little lower cost and some on bigger lots. We are retired from CA and live part time in Lone Mountain area

Old 09-25-2020, 11:26 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Agreed that too is a very nice area. It was a bit far to get to restaurants and bars but looked real nice. I don't really care about the Raiders practice facility unless I am a Raider. If anything it might have been too close to the freeway - noise wise. However, definitely top 3 of the areas we considered.
I find that the freeway is inaudible in most weather, but never noisier than aircraft in Summerlin.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:37 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Look at 89129 - lone mountain and 89149 - centennial hills. Both just north of Summerlin - a little lower cost and some on bigger lots. We are retired from CA and live part time in Lone Mountain area
I live in Centennial Hills. We chose that area over Summerlin because I didn't want car-payment-sized HOA fees. All of those parks and common areas and other amenities have to be maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas