Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:03 PM

24 posts, read 142,718 times

Advertisements

I googled and found out that it might be a Foreign Grain Beetle. They are very tiny and swarming around the inside of the door and in the toilet. We get sprayed every month and don't have any other bug issues. We also keep a very clean home (and it is not even a year old) so I can't imagine what they could be. The explanation of the Foreign Grain Beetle makes the most sense but they are very very small, with teeny antennae (like the size of a flea but they are not fleas.) Has anyone else seen these? I'm waiting for a call back from the Bug Man but it is Sunday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 05:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Ummmm It is Las Vegas/the desert.Most likely every place has bugs no matter how clean it is.There is about 2 or 3 threads regarding bugs in homes and apartments.
Here is one

http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...scorpions.html

Old 05-18-2008, 05:33 PM

Thanks. I read that thread but no one mentioned the Foreign Grain Beetle. With all the new construction out here, I thought it might be more common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Ummmm It is Las Vegas/the desert.Most likely every place has bugs no matter how clean it is.There is about 2 or 3 threads regarding bugs in homes and apartments.
Here is one

http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...scorpions.html

Old 05-20-2008, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 35,063 times
Default Springtails?

They may be springtails. I had a neighbor who would get them every spring for about 2 months in the kitchen & around the doorways. She said there would be HUNDREDS of them every night. They are very very tiny and no exterminators can get rid of them. You can kill them on the spot buy the next day they were back by the hundreds. She said since they were so tiny & no exterminator in town could help, she just delt with it because you couldn't really see them unless you went over to look. They always dissapeared after 2 months till the next year.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
If those tiny flying things are near plants, put out a bowl of water with dishsoap in it. They will go into the water and drown instead of living out their very short life of a few months.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 AM

Thanks. Sounds like that's what they may be. Bug Guy is coming today but from what I understand, if they are either of the things I think they are, not much can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose5 View Post
They may be springtails. I had a neighbor who would get them every spring for about 2 months in the kitchen & around the doorways. She said there would be HUNDREDS of them every night. They are very very tiny and no exterminators can get rid of them. You can kill them on the spot buy the next day they were back by the hundreds. She said since they were so tiny & no exterminator in town could help, she just delt with it because you couldn't really see them unless you went over to look. They always dissapeared after 2 months till the next year.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
If they are Spring Tails, that is right very hard to really get rid of them all. I actually use Soap and water on them instead of any chemicals, it works just the same.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janesmithjanesmith View Post
I googled and found out that it might be a Foreign Grain Beetle. They are very tiny and swarming around the inside of the door and in the toilet. We get sprayed every month and don't have any other bug issues. We also keep a very clean home (and it is not even a year old) so I can't imagine what they could be. The explanation of the Foreign Grain Beetle makes the most sense but they are very very small, with teeny antennae (like the size of a flea but they are not fleas.) Has anyone else seen these? I'm waiting for a call back from the Bug Man but it is Sunday...
We had some kind of really tiny bug in the bathroom too. Last year they were in the window sill of the shower and we put down some boric acid that seemed to get rid of them. This year we had them on the outside wall of the shower and around one of our sinks, but boric acid didn't faze them. Neither did whatever the exterminator put down. I killed about ten thousand of them by washing them down the sink with very hot water. I would wet a finger so they would stick to it and I could pick up and sort of squish six or seven at a time. They are so small you can't get a good idea what they look like. But I managed to get one under a magnifying glass, and even got a close up picture of one with my macro lens. I have looked all over the Internet, and found other people trying to figure them out too. They don't seem to be anything that is well known even by the "experts". Everybody has a suggestion, but when you look up that particular bug it is never the right one. They are sort of shaped like tiny ants under the magnifying glass, but they aren't an ant. They don't fly, and are so small they look like black pepper that moves. They aren't a beetle either. It actually seemed to me that they were popping up out of nothing, because I'd kill them all and look back and ten more had appeared out of nowhere. Anyway, I think they finally got tired of us and left.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 PM

As soon as the weather cooled down a couple of days ago, they completely disappeared on their own! Interesting...

Old 05-24-2008, 10:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
if they are FOREIGN grain beetles why not just call INS before we have to put up signage in their language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas