Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 10:12 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,967,037 times

Advertisements

It comes down to heat or cold. Then there's the porch pirate's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 10:46 AM

1,629 posts, read 1,716,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
And dry vs humid. I tried living in Naples, FL and found I hated the humid, rainy summers and hurricane season. After five years of living there and through Hurricane Irma, I moved to Vegas. I've gotten used to the dry climate and hot summers. What works for some people doesn't work for everyone and that's a good thing. Otherwise, everyone would want to live in the same place. It's part of the reason places with the best weather are more expensive, supply and demand.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:14 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Porch piracy is very much NOT limited to Vegas. This is happening literally everywhere in the country. And if you don't have heat you have cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post

Old 12-26-2021, 01:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Yes, the heat is something else and gardening requires a lot of hard work and knowledge. My hope is that allergies will eventually disappear.

Water rationing will never take place. Nevada is the only State that gets its water from behind the dam.

Time will tell. If the lack of snow on the western slope of the Rockies continues (and long term forecasts says it will) then Lake Mead is going to be a puddle. And water is taken from the Colorado before it gets to the lake.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:41 PM

We have decided. Virginia. A bastion of conservatives, but we will ignore them. Medical marijuana that I use for pain and as a sleep aid. Beautiful state. We are going to an over 55 area outside Williamsburg. The Atlantic ocean is close. Amtrak to NYC and places between is easy and quick. Closer to Europe for flights. Red soil, but gardening is easy. Mild winters. Flood zone rating for insurance is 1 out of 10. it's GREEN!!! New construction so we can make some changes and add things we want like 2-240 outlets in the garage for our current Clarity PHEV and future RAV4 Prime or Santa Fe PHEV or ??.

We will miss the friends we made here and the amazing shopping, but health dictates my current and future life. That said, I need doctors that stay. I've been here seven years and I've had seven doctors. Enough already. I've got too much wrong with me to start over every year.

Selling in January/February. Moving to a rental in VA and monitoring the build. Estimated move in is August. Putting everything in storage while waiting is a first for us.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:52 AM

228 posts, read 197,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We have decided. Virginia. A bastion of conservatives, but we will ignore them. Medical marijuana that I use for pain and as a sleep aid. Beautiful state. We are going to an over 55 area outside Williamsburg. The Atlantic ocean is close. Amtrak to NYC and places between is easy and quick. Closer to Europe for flights. Red soil, but gardening is easy. Mild winters. Flood zone rating for insurance is 1 out of 10. it's GREEN!!! New construction so we can make some changes and add things we want like 2-240 outlets in the garage for our current Clarity PHEV and future RAV4 Prime or Santa Fe PHEV or ??.

We will miss the friends we made here and the amazing shopping, but health dictates my current and future life. That said, I need doctors that stay. I've been here seven years and I've had seven doctors. Enough already. I've got too much wrong with me to start over every year.

Selling in January/February. Moving to a rental in VA and monitoring the build. Estimated move in is August. Putting everything in storage while waiting is a first for us.
Virginia is beautiful! When I lived in DC, I would go up to the mountains and loved it. I'm not sure what their tax situation is now, or what it is like for a retiree, but I know it was bad in the 80s, so I chose Silver Springs, Montgomery County, MD.
I use cannabis for my Crohn's and know that in almost all states that allow only medical cannabis, Crohn's is always one of the conditions allowed. I do not trust most doctors and do not take any Pharmaceuticals at 60, if I did need a doctor I would go to Mayo Clinic, Arizona. Mayo Clinic Rochester, Mn. was who did my resection when I was 14, the doctors in Dallas almost let me die. My parents had taken me to 5 different GIs, all but the last two were idiots. When they wanted to do exploratory surgery, my parents said we are going to the Mayo and both doctors said, "if that were my son we would already be at the Mayo".
Good luck in your new start! You can always fly out to Vegas for a fun getaway. I did the Europe Trek for 30 years, every year to visit my folks in Barcelona. In DC I would use Lufthansa, DC to Frankfurt, to BCN. I have never tried from Vegas, but both of my folks have passed, maybe one last trek before I go.
Moving is a stress at any age, remember to breathe.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:46 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,017,173 times
Quote:

Good for you! I used to live in Richmond and VA is a beautiful state. Good luck to you.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
Virginia is beautiful! When I lived in DC, I would go up to the mountains and loved it. I'm not sure what their tax situation is now, or what it is like for a retiree, but I know it was bad in the 80s, so I chose Silver Springs, Montgomery County, MD.
I use cannabis for my Crohn's and know that in almost all states that allow only medical cannabis, Crohn's is always one of the conditions allowed. I do not trust most doctors and do not take any Pharmaceuticals at 60, if I did need a doctor I would go to Mayo Clinic, Arizona. Mayo Clinic Rochester, Mn. was who did my resection when I was 14, the doctors in Dallas almost let me die. My parents had taken me to 5 different GIs, all but the last two were idiots. When they wanted to do exploratory surgery, my parents said we are going to the Mayo and both doctors said, "if that were my son we would already be at the Mayo".
Good luck in your new start! You can always fly out to Vegas for a fun getaway. I did the Europe Trek for 30 years, every year to visit my folks in Barcelona. In DC I would use Lufthansa, DC to Frankfurt, to BCN. I have never tried from Vegas, but both of my folks have passed, maybe one last trek before I go.

Talked with the man where were are looking and made the decision. Large lot, beautiful new construction home, woods behind, and a lake in the woods. The bad: Move in in September or October. We will be doing some renting and a trip to Europe in the Spring just to get away for a while. A cruise from Quebec to New York is planned in August as well. Third attempt. It would be nice if this one didn't get cancelled.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:26 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Trading higher heat for higher humidity. And, of course, higher taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post

Old 12-28-2021, 01:15 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
Quote:

I would not call VA a "bastion of conservatives". In Virginia, the Democratic Party currently controls the offices of governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, and both chambers of the state legislature. Although the recent election will swap the top 3 spots and the house to republican, the senate is still controlled by the democrats. Before 2021, republicans had not won a statewide race in VA since 2009.

Williamsburg is nice but taxes are high and weather is not great. Property tax is about double and income tax is 5.75% if above $17K in income. Did not care for weather when we lived in VA - cold and wet in winter and hot and humid in summer and lots of pollen - more than happy to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas