Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:15 AM

294 posts, read 293,827 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from Texas to Las Vegas. We expect to list our house in the next 10 days or so. We live in a very hot market where houses usually go under contract within 2 weeks and within 2 days is not uncommon. I am expecting that we will therefore close somewhere between mid-July and late August. We know no one in Las Vegas.

There will be 3 of us. DH and I are retired and our adult son is moving with us and will be living with us temporarily. Between us, we have 3 cats.

We plan to downsize and want to buy a 3 Bedroom house with a top limit of about $450k. I know that is not a huge amount for Las Vegas but we are open to a small house and prefer a very small yard. We do want a single family home, preferably no more than 20 years old (newer is better). Safety is very important to us.

I've done a lot of research on the market in Las Vegas. I prefer to live in either Las Vegas City limits or unincorporated Clark County although I would consider Henderson. Based upon what I've seen the housing that look to be in our price range are the far NW part of Las Vegas and SW and some far West.

I know that buying is often competitive and I am prepared to lose out on bids. We will have a cash down payment for all but about $100k of what we buy and will need a mortgage for that.

The thing I am starting to think about is temporary housing and how to set something up before I get there.

When we moved to our current house (we moved 250 miles within Texas several years ago), I contacted a corporate leasing company and did a 2 month rental in a 2 bedroom apartment that allowed cats. It was extremely expensive (almost $4k a month for an apartment normally rented for $1600). But it was furnished with everything we needed and they allowed 3 cats. However, it worked very well. I don't know if there are similar companies like that for Las Vegas. What was nice about this when I did it before was we could specify the type of furniture we wanted (for example, we had desks put in one bedroom). Overall, this is probably the most flexible IF we can find a place that would allow 3 cats.

I've thought of an AirBnB. You can search for Pet Friendly but there usually is nothing to indicate if they will take 3 cats. I guess I could ask. Also I am not sure what would happen if we needed to stay an extra month. With the corporate lease we could give 30 days and stay another month so that worked out OK. Not sure that would work with an AirBnB.

The final would be an extended stay hotel. We would need 2 rooms though so I think would get really expensive and I don't love that idea. I need to have a place that can use as an address for things like insurance, banking, etc. I think I could do that with the corporate apartment or even an AirBnB but not a hotel.

Does anyone know the best way to approach this or who to contact. Once our house is under contract we intend to make a quick trip to Las Vegas to just do some looking around and we could perhaps work on this while we are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 06:09 AM

228 posts, read 197,420 times
Koshka, we moved from Kerrville, Texas in 2017, to N Las Vegas. We live in the Ardiente community, a 55+, guarded, and gated community, with 2 pools, tennis courts, basketball, clubhouse, jacuzzi, sauna, gym, and pool tables. HOA is 217. a month, but it is very affordable when you look at the savings on your taxes from Texas.

We had a mortgage in Texas that was almost paid off. I did not want to show my house as I had cats and dogs, so I planned to take a 2nd mortgage to buy my house here. We went through 4 idiot realtors, before finding a wonderful guy. The timing was everything for us as my spouse was transferring with the VA.

We were prepared to carry both mortgages for 6 months, but our Texas house sold at the full asking price on the first day on the market. We shipped our furniture which was a mistake, that cost 10,000. We also shipped our 2 cars, another 2,000. We rented a van and made the 21-hour trek straight through, as we had the dogs and cats.

We did everything online! While we knew this neighborhood, as we had talked to the builder in 2015, we never actually saw this house in person, only pictures online. We did fly out for the home inspection and that was the first time we met Ellen, our realtor in person. I can not stress enough, that you need a good team, that knows what they are doing. Ellen and Nick worked as a hand in a glove and made it the easiest, least stressful real estate transaction I have ever done.

By going the route we did, we avoided temporary lodging and it would not have been good for us or our babies, stress-wise.
Our Texas Mortg. was a 15 yr.@ 2.65% and we got this at 15yr. 3.65%. We put 55,000 down on this to avoid PMI. First, build a good team here in Las Vegas. My banker in Texas was prepared to handle the deal for us, but was very honest and told us, I do not have the contacts in LV and it may take longer, we were on a strict timeline with my spouse transferring from VA to VA.
We bought this place in 2017, at 255,000, It is now worth 500,000. You can go online to 55+communities and look at the different neighborhoods. I would really recommend a guarded and gated community.

Presently there are 13 houses in our 788 house community for sale. Recently I noticed that they are not moving as fast, so might be good for price negotiation.

I used City Data for a lot of my questions about Las Vegas and you will find some very helpful people on here. I am sorry that I can not steer you in the direction of temporary housing, as thankfully we did not need it. I'm not a financial guru and used my banker in Texas to ask questions. Look at ALL your costs and weigh them. Good luck and I hope it works for yall. We have been here 5 years and I have NOT regretted the move one day. I wake up everyday and love this place even more.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-03-2022 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: May only do realtor referrals via DM

Old 06-03-2022, 07:33 AM

7,877 posts, read 3,857,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
...We shipped our furniture which was a mistake, that cost 10,000...
The alternative to shipping your existing furniture is to sell it & buy new at your destination. Unfortunately, because of the supply chain issues, furniture frequently has a lead time of 9 months or more. Sometimes a dealer will have inventory, but more often than not, you'll end up waiting.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:53 AM

7,877 posts, read 3,857,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
...We know no one in Las Vegas.
One thing to consider: it is not uncommon for people to move to Las Vegas and decide it isn't for them after all. Las Vegas is a "love it or hate it" kind of place, with few people in the middle. Some people move here, stay only a year, and leave for any number of reasons. Perhaps the summertime heat is too much for them. Perhaps they wish to be closer to grandchildren. Perhaps they miss greenery (this is the desert.) Perhaps they miss their former community. Sometimes people retire, then "unretire" and return to where they came from to rejoin the workforce as they really were not mentally ready for retirement. Etc.

My point is there may be value in strategic flexibility. Only you can decide, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
...We plan to downsize and want to buy a 3 Bedroom house with a top limit of about $450k. I know that is not a huge amount for Las Vegas but we are open to a small house and prefer a very small yard. We do want a single family home, preferably no more than 20 years old (newer is better). Safety is very important to us.
How many square feet are you contemplating? How big a garage? Are you open to 2-story, or do you require single story? Do you envision yourselves in an "active senior" environment - or just the opposite of that? Do you want to be in a community where there is a mix of young families (teenagers), or do you prefer only adults? Etc etc etc.

One tip: bring a compass with you whenever you look at housing (temporary or permanent). Reject ANY house with significant glass exposure that is facing west. North facing glass is OK, as is south facing if there is any form of structural shade over the windows. But west facing glass is miserable. East facing glass is almost as bad for a couple months each year.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The alternative to shipping your existing furniture is to sell it & buy new at your destination. Unfortunately, because of the supply chain issues, furniture frequently has a lead time of 9 months or more. Sometimes a dealer will have inventory, but more often than not, you'll end up waiting.
You made some great points in both posts. We moved "junk". I decluttered and gave a lot of things away.
Our furniture was Walmart-Big lots, we are not really materialistic. We do have a nice Tempurpedic, but 10,000 for stuff we ended up junking. Files and family photos and babies' ashes were most important and we brought that with us in the van. The rest of the crap I could have shipped in a POD or Fed Ex. My Fur-babies were my most precious cargo. Think.... and save 10,000. Sure if it is a family heirloom. We bought new things from Ashley and it ended up being worse than Big Lots or Walmart. Yes, I am that cheap! I once lived the life of Queen Anne furniture and Italian Cherry wood furniture, in Washington DC and I was miserable. Vegas is like freedom, just let it all hang out and have fun. My Grandfather said, "if you have more than what fits in a suitcase, you have too much." My dad said, "yes but he also had a passbook (bank book) that had a number followed by a lot of 0000000's."
We went to see Lady Gaga in April, and we both ended up with covid, not bad but in bed for 3 days, not fun, but we had a great time. Vegas is about living! Moving from Texas, my birth state, to Vegas was like being freed from prison.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:18 AM

26,228 posts, read 49,085,600 times
1. Cleaning out the house before moving.

2. Should I hire a long distance mover or buy new furniture after moving?

3. Hiring movers, always get a binding estimate. See post #2 in this thread.

Check with furniture stores in LV to see if they have inventory or if it's a waiting list situation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
One thing to consider: it is not uncommon for people to move to Las Vegas and decide it isn't for them after all. Las Vegas is a "love it or hate it" kind of place, with few people in the middle. Some people move here, stay only a year, and leave for any number of reasons. Perhaps the summertime heat is too much for them. Perhaps they wish to be closer to grandchildren. Perhaps they miss greenery (this is the desert.) Perhaps they miss their former community. Sometimes people retire, then "unretire" and return to where they came from to rejoin the workforce as they really were not mentally ready for retirement. Etc.

My point is there may be value in strategic flexibility. Only you can decide, of course.

How many square feet are you contemplating? How big a garage? Are you open to 2-story, or do you require single story? Do you envision yourselves in an "active senior" environment - or just the opposite of that? Do you want to be in a community where there is a mix of young families (teenagers), or do you prefer only adults? Etc etc etc.

One tip: bring a compass with you whenever you look at housing (temporary or permanent). Reject ANY house with significant glass exposure that is facing west. North facing glass is OK, as is south facing if there is any form of structural shade over the windows. But west facing glass is miserable. East facing glass is almost as bad for a couple months each year.
This is what I have said, people either love it or hate it. We came to see the Phantom @ the Venetian in 2012 and I knew I would hate Vegas, but it was for our 20th Anniversary. We stayed at the Venitian and in 3 days I was IN LOVE. I cried when we left Vegas. (literally). We came every year 2-3 times and I don't gamble, don't know how and won't learn. I do play bingo and a fin in the one-armed bandits.
We do have family here in the Centennial Hills area and I wanted my spouse to be close to his family. We only get together a couple of times a year, but we/they are here when need be.

Good point on square feet. We upsized from 1138 to 1811 and it is TOO BIG for just the 2 of us, but we have the dogs and cat. Unlike they tell you "your spare room will never be empty", In 5 years we have never had an overnight guest.
I wanted a 55+ community as I did not want the teenagers and garage band next door. Our family had one of those where they live.
Our house faces North-South. In Texas, we kept our thermostat at 75* during the day and 72* at night, we hardly ever had our doors open due to humidity. In Vegas I have the doors open A LOT, and have it written on my calendar. Yes, you will have dust, so buy a humidifier, air purifier, and hygrometer. We keep our AC @ 79 during the days and the hot months and 77 at night. Our elec bill is cheaper here.
Your car insurance is double in Vegas, but your house insurance is a third of Texas, my taxes are half, but I pay HOA, but get A lot for 217.00 a month.
Friendly?? People here are way more friendly than in Texas. They know me at Walmart, Smiths, and Winn Co, all by name. I even see them in other places and we speak. It is like a small town. Yes, you will either love it or hate it, I say there is no in-between. Do I miss the green of the Texas Hill Country? Yes, I do, but not the allergies and the dreaded Cedar Fever that almost put me in the hospital every year.
You may experience what is known as Vegas cough/throat, in your first year here. Google it! Humidifiers, hydrometer, and Ricola cough drops will help. It is an adjustment, but for me, one that is so worth it.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:27 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,366,540 times
Aliante in NLV is a nice community w/i your budget. Solara in Henderson could work, too. Or MacDonald Ranch for the best location. 55+ communities are great because residents volunteer to patrol and are always on alert, keeping these communities quite safe.

Find a local temp place there and get a 6-month lease and move in now. You really don’t want cats in the house while selling. That way you will have the money/funding accessible for offers here. Temp housing is easier in TX than here due to so many restrictions on Abnb’s, temp housing. The market is softening here and a bit in TX too. I’d sell as much stuff as you can and donate the rest. Try and load your cars with things you can’t part with. There are lots of people who move all the time and are selling their things. You can pick up basics thru FB Marketplace, Offer Up, Craigslist, Consignment stores, etc.

I travel regularly betw DFW and LAS. Very cheap flights if I buy one-way tickets (they get you on RT) and I use Frontier, Sun Country and Spirit. Its a short flight so no need to have more than a small under seat backpack and a cheap seat…. You can come for house hunting.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 06-03-2022 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 09:57 PM

294 posts, read 293,827 times
Thanks for all the great replies. Very helpful.

Quote:

We did everything online! While we knew this neighborhood, as we had talked to the builder in 2015, we never actually saw this house in person, only pictures online. We did fly out for the home inspection and that was the first time we met Ellen, our realtor in person. I can not stress enough, that you need a good team, that knows what they are doing. Ellen and Nick worked as a hand in a glove and made it the easiest, least stressful real estate transaction I have ever done.
I had thought of the online thing. I know that houses in my area often sell to people who haven't visited. The main concern I have of doing this for Las Vegas is that location of the house near its surroundings is so important. Even if the house was great I would want to drive around and thoroughly see the area and also see how it was for getting places.

One question about differences between Texas and Nevada. In Texas, typically when you buy a house you pay a small fee for an option and then you have a period of time that you can back out for any reason. Other states I know don't always have that procedure. In those states you can only back out for specified reasons like finding something serious on the inspection. What is the standard in Las Vegas? If I was just signing something where I could freely back out in X days I would be more comfortable with just doing it online.

Quote:
We bought this place in 2017, at 255,000, It is now worth 500,000. You can go online to 55+communities and look at the different neighborhoods. I would really recommend a guarded and gated community.
If we can get something in our price range that is guarded and gated I would do that. We lived in a gated community before our current house (not guarded) and it was sort of a joke. There was a keypad at the entrance and people gave out the codes to workers, delivery people, etc. Also you could just wait for someone to use a remote to go in and follow them. The gated aspect did cut down on traffic through the subdivision but I doubt was much safer.

Oh -- one question about gated communities in Las Vegas. Do the traffic laws apply within the community. Where we lived before it was an acreage community (minimum of 1 acre). Anyway, they weren't subject to most traffic laws such as speeding. The big problem was that people would let their underage kids drive. Let's just say that 13 year olds who aren't subject to speeding or other traffic laws are often not the best drivers.... I swore when we moved from there I would never want to subject myself to that again. But, if the gated community is significantly safer then I might.

Quote:
The alternative to shipping your existing furniture is to sell it & buy new at your destination.
We are already doing that. We are going to sell about 95% of our furniture. Furniture-wise we are bringing 2 desk chairs (very expensive, less than 6 months old), one art glass table (very unique), a small cabinet that belonged to my late mother and one leather recliner. We also will have a large, expensive, relatively new Ascent Trainer and a smallish electronic piano. Most of the rest will be boxes of stuff and 3 TVs. We are planning to rent a POD so our stuff can be stored there while we are in temporary housing.

We do have stuff we plan to transport ourselves. Our cats most importantly. We also have important papers, jewelry, some irreplaceable sentimental items and a collection for porcelain figurines that I don't want to trust to a POD. We only have one vehicle (Volvo SUV) so we expect it will take 2 trips to do this.

Quote:
I do worry about this. We almost moved to Las Vegas 4 years ago when we last moved. Instead we moved closer to my family. There were family reasons to do that at the time that no longer apply (my mother in her 90s has since passed on). But, a big factor in not moving to Las Vegas then was just the fear that I would be making a mistake. But, it is 4 years later and I still want to do it. Back in the day (1990s especially), I used to enjoy visiting Las Vegas. In fact, I enjoyed it enough that DH and I got married there 30 years ago. I like how Las Vegas punches above its weight so to speak in terms of amenities that I enjoy. I like eating out and Las Vegas has lots and lots of choices. I also think Las Vegas has nice shopping beyond what you would expect of a city of its size. I live in the DFW area (over 7 million people) and I don't want to live somewhere that large but I do want a space with the amenities of an area that large. While I am not a big gambler, I do occasionally enjoy it and used to enjoy the shows. I just feel that of all the places I could consider that I would always have something to do.

I am not worried about the heat (I stay indoors in the AC) and like the idea of not having the humidity I have here. I don't have grandchildren. One of our children (adult) is moving with us. Most of the rest of our respective kids are spread out so there is no one place we could live where everyone would be there. I don't like greenery (I am allergic to most of it) and enjoy how the desert looks. I am downright ecstatic at the idea of not having to have a grass lawn.

Quote:
Great questions. I think the ideal size would be between 1500 and 1800 SF. We have about 2400 SF now and have entire rooms we never use. We could potentially go down or up in size for the right house. I would prefer a double garage. Right now we just have one car but that could change in the future and garages are great for storage.... We don't want yard upkeep so are fine with a house where the backyard is tiny. Our biggest non-negotiable is we don't want a pool (we've had pools in several houses and just don't want the upkeep anymore).

We are open to a 2 story as a pretty severe compromise. DH is in his mid-70s and I am in my late 60s. We are in good health and well able to handle stairs. But, stuff can always change. Our last couple of houses have been one stories and we would much prefer that. That said, we are open to a 2 story if the stair layout is such that we could put in a stairlift in the future if needed.

Layout is more important than square footage. Basically we need at least 3 bedrooms and an extra room of some sort would be helpful.

We need a master bedroom and one bedroom that our son will use (later will be a guest rooms). DH and I spend a lot of time at our computers so we each want a study. One bedroom will be a study for probably me.

Then we need a room for DH's desk and for him to have as a study. Ideal house would have a 4th bedroom or a loft or a study or 2nd living area. Worst case scenario, we will use the dining room as a study. We rarely entertain and don't use our dining room now. We usually eat at our desks (separately as DH is a lark and I am an owl) or we go out. So we could get rid of the dining room if need be and use that as an office. Unconventional, but would work for us. Living room can be tiny as we rarely use it either. Mostly when we want to watch a movie together. Honestly, we spend most of our waking hours at home in our respective offices. (We talk to each other over Alexa or, if we are playing a video game together, we will talk over Skype).

The 55+ thing is something that I tend to negative on but might if my concerns were alleviated.

Some 55+ communities do allow someone under 55 to live there if there will be a resident over 55. Our son (late 20s) is moving with us and will likely live with us for several months before getting his own place. Any 55+ community would have to allow him to live with us.

The main attraction I have seen with 55+ communities is that they often have 1 story houses. Also, sometimes the communities have some amenities that are attractive.

My concerns are, to be blunt, in two areas. First, we are of a liberal persuasion. My impression is that 55+ communities are often opposite. I am happy enough to live in an area where there are people of various viewpoints. That is fine. But I don't want to live somewhere where I am part of a small minority surrounded by a large majority who feel opposite to me.

The other thing is that some my interests may not be so compatible with 55+ communities. I am a very online person and keep up to date on technology and most everything. I play video games a lot and so am not sure that I have that much in common with many 55+ residents. Of course, I would absolutely love such a community if it had people who had similar interests to me.

So if anyone can recommend any communities like this where our son could live there with us and that politically would at least be neutral for us then I would consider it.

Quote:
Thank you. This is helpful.

Quote:
Our elec bill is cheaper here.
Your car insurance is double in Vegas, but your house insurance is a third of Texas, my taxes are half, but I pay HOA, but get A lot for 217.00 a month.
I have modeled the costs and it should be considerably cheaper in Las Vegas. My house insurance went up by almost a third this year and is now over $4200 a year. Real estate taxes are extremely high. I do know car insurance will go up and I am in shock at the fact my car registration will be almost $700 a year. But I expect the lower house insurance and real estate taxes to more than make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Aliante in NLV is a nice community w/i your budget. Solara in Henderson could work, too. Or MacDonald Ranch for the best location. 55+ communities are great because residents volunteer to patrol and are always on alert, keeping these communities quite safe.
I have ruled out NLV because I feel they have the most limited pet laws. Las Vegas within the city is best. They allow 4. Right now, we have 3 cats (one of whom will be going with our son when he moves out). But I do like the option to have 4. Unincorporated Clark County allows 3 but you can theoretically get a fancier's permit to have 4. Henderson is similar. I could live with both of those.

Quote:
Find a local temp place there and get a 6-month lease and move in now. You really don’t want cats in the house while selling.
I recognize you from the Fort Worth and Dallas forums so you will be familiar with here I live. I live in Colleyville and the average house is going under contract in a bit under 2 weeks. In fact, most of the houses under, say, $2 million go under contract far faster than that. Usually if a house under $1 million (ours is on the lower end for Colleyville) doesn't go under contract in a week there is something specific about the house that is a problem such as the house is not updated (ours is).

Our approach is that for the first couple of days of showing we will likely board our cats. If we don't have a contract by then (probably won't although we could get lucky) then whenever we have showing we are just going to take the cats and their litter boxes with us in our SUV.

I do think that houses are taking a bit longer to sell here than they were a month or so ago. But I still don't think it will take us long to sell (although I guess you never knw).

Quote:
Temp housing is easier in TX than here due to so many restrictions on Abnb’s, temp housing.
You might be able to talk me into this but I don't think I could talk DH in doing that.

Quote:
I’d sell as much stuff as you can and donate the rest. Try and load your cars with things you can’t part with. There are lots of people who move all the time and are selling their things. You can pick up basics thru FB Marketplace, Offer Up, Craigslist, Consignment stores, etc.
This is exactly what we plan to do. We have already started doing this. The subdivision had its annual garage sale in May and we sold a ton of stuff then. We have stuff on on FB Marketplace right now. Once we are under contract we will sell most of our furniture and all of our appliances. We are planning to get a POD for the stuff we are sending. We will probably have to make 2 trips to get the stuff to Las Vegas that we need to take (this is one time that it is a negative that we sold our second car during 2020 when we weren't doing much driving due to Covid).

Quote:
I travel regularly betw DFW and LAS. Very cheap flights if I buy one-way tickets (they get you on RT) and I use Frontier, Sun Country and Spirit. Its a short flight so no need to have more than a small under seat backpack and a cheap seat…. You can come for house hunting.
That is very interesting about getting a one way ticket. Thanks. I will talk to DH about this. I don't want to sign a 6 month lease here, but perhaps DH would consider a one month AirBnB here and then we fly to Las Vegas for a couple of trips of house hunting. If I can find a real estate agent in Las Vegas I could explore whether that might work.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:10 PM

8,155 posts, read 8,366,540 times
I know Colleyville….have several rental properties in Tarrant County. If you decide to increase your budget a bit, look into Sun City Anthem….. tends to run more liberal and many residents are very tech savvy. Check out their website. As long as one resident is over 55, all others in household must be adults but can be under 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas