Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 03:34 PM

120 posts, read 167,722 times

Advertisements

The landscaper gave me a quote of $3,000 to replace the fence. The fence is small. It is 5 ft tall and 9 ft long. They said the permit is required. So Do I need a permit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 07:10 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,373,552 times
Get another estimate or two. That seems like a lot of money for such a small fence. Also call the city yourself and ask them about the permit.

I would get the estimates from a fencing contractor, not a landscaper.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:39 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,620 times
Is the fence wooden or concrete block? Do you live in a city? Do you have an HOA?

An HOA would certainly approve repair to an existing fence. Repair to a wooden fence less than 6 feet tall would probably not require a permit in any jurisdiction in southern Nevada.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:20 AM

120 posts, read 167,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Is the fence wooden or concrete block? Do you live in a city? Do you have an HOA?

An HOA would certainly approve repair to an existing fence. Repair to a wooden fence less than 6 feet tall would probably not require a permit in any jurisdiction in southern Nevada.
It is wooden but I want to replace it with cinder blocks. I live in the Spring Valley area. No, I don' t have an HOA, Thank goodness!!!

I tried to call the city but no one picks up the phone.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii98 View Post
It is wooden but I want to replace it with cinder blocks. I live in the Spring Valley area. No, I don' t have an HOA, Thank goodness!!!

I tried to call the city but no one picks up the phone.
For a cinder block wall, you need a concrete foundation aka "footer" plus rebar and concrete fill, and of course proper site drainage. Designing all that is not complicated, but it might be outside the skill set of an average landscape guy. Building it is something your landscape guy can do.

In addition to a permit, you probably also need drawings to submit to the building department.

I suggest you drive over to the building department and talk to them if they are not answering the telephone.

My understanding is the Spring Valley area is unincorporated, so of course you must deal with Clark County. 4701 W. Russell Road, Las Vegas, NV 89118

If you can't take time off from work to drive over there, perhaps try an email:

https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/govern...ain_office.php

looking at the list of email addresses in the above link, if it were me, I'd start with your question about permits and email it to:

pacenter@ClarkCountyNV.gov and dsengineer@ClarkCountyNV.gov and ask them the same question you asked here in your original post. Make sure to include your exact street address in your question.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 08-05-2022 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii98 View Post
It is wooden but I want to replace it with cinder blocks.
You may change your mind after you get estimates. Anyone can do a wooden fence, but a cinderblock wall that tall must be engineered and will definitely require a permit. I would not trust just anyone to do it, it could do great harm if it fails.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:48 PM

This may answer all your questions.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:36 AM

9,888 posts, read 7,226,954 times
If you are within the city limits, you can check here:

https://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/Busin...ilding-Permits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas