Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2023, 12:15 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times

Advertisements

I bought my house in 2019, it was built in 2017 and barely lived in. The builder installed lots of Cat 5 wiring, but for some unknown reason only terminated one jack in the living room. One end of all of the unused cables is located in the master bedroom closet where the modem/ router is located.

It looks like I have network extenders installed in the ceiling in two locations, but I don't know how to get them working.

Any ideas who can trace the wiring and install a CAT 5 jack in my office and get the network extenders working? I have no idea who does this type of work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 04:05 PM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Pretty much any low voltage electrician. Google "home automation" companies and they can do it. They have low voltage electrical licenses, which are different from line voltage licenses. Just don't use Eagle Sentry, as they are asshats.

If you are handy enough, you can wire each of the non-terminated ends. You can even place a tone generator on them to see where they go. There are many youtube videos.

You don't actually want a "Cat 5 Jack." Ask for an RJ-45 Jack.

And your wiring is most likely not Cat 5. It is most likely Cat 6 or possibly Cat 7. In all instances, you use the RJ-45 Jack.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info. The cable is terminated with RJ-45 connectors in the closet. I have no idea where they go from there other than up into the attic. Maybe they go to individual locations in each room, but I have no idea how to find where they would need to be terminated via a wall plate with an RJ-45 jack.

I contacted my HOA to see if they know who did the low voltage wiring when the houses were built here. It would be nice if they knew how these houses should have been finished. When I looked at the model homes, they were all wired up the way mine should have been.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:37 PM

48 posts, read 51,908 times
My background is 30+ years in telecommunication and networking, and I wouldn't even mess with the wiring and jacks, just install a wireless router and be done with it.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:21 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
movin1, there is much wisdom in cunningja's post.

Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)? Cox? Someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I bought my house in 2019, it was built in 2017 and barely lived in. The builder installed lots of Cat 5 wiring, but for some unknown reason only terminated one jack in the living room. One end of all of the unused cables is located in the master bedroom closet where the modem/ router is located.
If I understand you correctly, there are numerous Ethernet wires in the closet, but the only place you can find a jack is in the living room. None elsewhere. Is that correct? How many Ethernet wires in the closet?

Have you tried installing a wireless router, plugging it into the jack in your living room? If it works, and assuming your house isn't too large, it probably provides coverage throughout the home.

But I sense you're looking for something specific - perhaps you have a printer that only accepts an Ethernet wire (e.g., CAT 6) rather than a wireless signal.

Quote:

It looks like I have network extenders installed in the ceiling in two locations, but I don't know how to get them working.
Can you post a cell phone picture? Have you taken them down to look at them? From where are they getting electricity?

Those extenders might be wireless repeaters (no Ethernet cable), or they might be wired "access points" where the Ethernet wire goes through the ceiling to the closet you mentioned.

Quote:
Any ideas who can trace the wiring and install a CAT 5 jack in my office and get the network extenders working? I have no idea who does this type of work here.
I assume by "office" you mean one of the bedrooms, and you've looked and there is no Ethernet jack in that room.

What items do you plan for your office that require the network?

Based on your answers, you might only need Cox to come install what they call "Panoramic WiFi" (a combination cable modem/wireless router) or perhaps The Geek Squad or Nerds To Go to get everything running.

Or, the next level up - assuming you really do need Ethernet jacks in multiple locations is someone like https://fuzion3lv.com/blog/categorie...p-las-vegas-nv
or
https://fusionsystemslv.com/blog/cat...n-las-vegas-nv
or
https://vivotechlv.com/home-wifi/
or
similar such companies.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 05-08-2023 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2023, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking the advice and sticking with COX wi-fi, it works well and is much better with my new, much faster laptop. I got a network extender from Verizon recently, the cell service in my neighborhood is terrible. With the extender, that problem is solved too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: