Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 09:47 PM

143 posts, read 98,650 times

Advertisements

I am not a full-time resident of LV, but am a registered voter at an LV address, have a NV drivers license, and my name is on an LV apartment lease with my sister.

Tonight I received a *fourth* call in the past nine months from Discover Card about an attempt to obtain a credit card in my name. Discover will not disclose all the details to me (which I understand) but did tell me that the only information provided on the application that is not public record is my SSN.

After the first call from Discover, I filed a victim statement with Experian, which apparently automatically propagates to the other two credit agencies, and the last three calls from Discover were a direct result of that statement.

I have homes in Mexico and Thailand, though I haven't been to the Thailand condo since 2020, and I'm in the midst of a long drawn-out house renovation in Mexico.

With that background, would the LVPD be interested in investigating the series of fraudulent attempts to apply for a credit card in my name? The applications have a LV mailing address different than my apartment address, so is that something LVPD can/would work with?

Is LVPD is interested, is there a problem since I'm not in LV now?

Or, is it not worth the effort to contact LVPD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 10:50 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,223,915 times
First thing - contact all three agencies and put a freeze on your credit history. Anyone attempting to open a line of credit using your information will raise a flag. If you've already done that the the system is working as Discover contacted you.

You can file a report with the police but they won't do anything about it. It's not worth their time to investigate it.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:48 PM

143 posts, read 98,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You can file a report with the police but they won't do anything about it. It's not worth their time to investigate it.
That's what I was afraid of. No repercussions at all for fraudsters? Should I start applying for credit cards in other peoples names???

Old 05-13-2023, 06:01 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
That's what I was afraid of. No repercussions at all for fraudsters? Should I start applying for credit cards in other peoples names???
This happens millions of times every day. Unfortunately, it's not a priority when there are other more important issues to deal with.

As I said, put a freeze on your credit. It's proactive and should stop this from happening.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:09 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,019 times
Can they yes. Will they, mostly likely not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas