Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 12:34 PM

34 posts, read 22,772 times

Advertisements

Within the last six months our mail delivery (how best to describe this?) is sporadic. We are only getting about 2/3 of our mail. We subscribe to the “Informed Delivery” service from USPS that sends you an email with the mail you’re supposed to get that day. About a third of the time, the mail for the day never shows up. It doesn’t just show up later, it never comes. We used to get sale flyers from grocery stores, but now they only show up once a month.
When I ask about it at the Henderson post office, all I get is “There’s nothing they can do”.
A lot of our neighbors are having the same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it? Most business I do now is paperless, but there are still quite a few things that have to go by mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 01:08 PM

1,499 posts, read 885,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ochodedos View Post
Within the last six months our mail delivery (how best to describe this?) is sporadic. We are only getting about 2/3 of our mail. We subscribe to the “Informed Delivery” service from USPS that sends you an email with the mail you’re supposed to get that day. About a third of the time, the mail for the day never shows up. It doesn’t just show up later, it never comes. We used to get sale flyers from grocery stores, but now they only show up once a month.
When I ask about it at the Henderson post office, all I get is “There’s nothing they can do”.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it? Most business I do now is paperless, but there are still quite a few things that have to go by mail.
Many things like grocery flyers no longer come weekly

We are only concerned about first class mail.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:21 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
Wait at the mailbox and talk to the person who delivers the mail. Ask him/her what's going on.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:21 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,837 times
I can relate to this. I also have their Informed Delivery and our problem is mostly with packages. They are either late or not delivered at all even though the tracking indicates that they were. I'll get a notice that something is out for delivery but never shows up. I also get notices that something arrived at the facility and then it sits there for days.

I probably wouldn't order half the stuff I do order if anything was ever in stock and available at a store somewhere. Even common items never seem to be in stock and you have to wait weeks for something. It is beyond frustrating to try and find anything these days.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:58 PM

83 posts, read 67,184 times
In Pahrump mail box theft is rampant. It seems the pedestal boxes all use the same key. We no longer put any outgoing in any of the boxes, we go to the Post Office and walk it in. We were not getting all of our mail for a while and I was considering getting a PO Box but that problem seems to have sorted itself out. Now if we could just get the mail delivered to the right address.

bob

Old 07-18-2023, 05:08 PM

261 posts, read 234,773 times
I moved here 5 years ago, we have had more mail issues in 5 years than I had my entire life. USPS employees here in general, lack commitment.

Old 07-18-2023, 06:48 PM

We are in a gated community, so mailbox theft is not likely. I try never to mail checks and use online banking anyway.
I would love to ask the carrier, but not home when they come around.

The informed delivery has a place where you can check off pieces not delivered, but I never get any feedback from that.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:12 AM

7,757 posts, read 3,791,421 times
We've had this problem in spades.

Ask to talk to the post office manager and complain, complain, complain in person and on the telephone.

You'll hear that they have difficulty hiring and retaining employees. You'll hear that the problems are due to the regular letter carrier being on vacation or leave. You'll hear any number of "the dog ate my homework" excuses, but all we can do is complain, complain complain. The squeaky wheel gets the lube.

At the end of the day, many of the letter carriers just don't give a damn. They can't be fired.

Temporary letter carriers who cover for labor shortages and vacations - and some of the permanent ones - are known to track vacation hold & temporary mail forward orders & provide that information to bad guys who then break into that house, knowing no one is home.

It isn't just Henderson.

At my vacation home location in another state, the homes have individual physical mailboxes, and the letter carrier drives a right-hand-drive vehicle up to the mailbox to deposit mail. We have two major issues there:

(a) The city snow plow deposits some snow in front of the mailbox, and the letter carrier decides not to drive his vehicle through it, eager to just mark the mail undeliverable-return-to-sender. I have to use my snowblower to make a pristine path so the letter carrier can just reach out the window of her car to put mail in the box, and even so much as a snowball gives the letter carrier an excuse to not do her job.

(b) We get every piece of mail for neighbors when there is a yellow sticker indicating the mail is forwarded. We actually spoke to the carrier; she said there are so many pieces of forwarded mail, she just sticks them all in our mailbox thinking we will figure it out for them. She is a lazy POS.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:19 AM

I guess the main problem is the USPS has no competition and they don’t care. I’ve been printing out the emails of the mail I don’t get and will keep them on file.

I’d love to mail myself one of those trackers just to see where the mail is going.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:03 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ochodedos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Wait at the mailbox and talk to the person who delivers the mail. Ask him/her what's going on.
I work in a district much like the one described here. Ultimately because the service can't retain enough staff in many areas there is nothing can be done. After finishing a route we rotate to others, but then packages get priority "dead baby chicks and medication for our veterans" as the initial COVID staffing collapse cry went so letter mail is deferred for yet another day

I have not joking said institute the draft and turn over the conscripts to the Postmaster General to fill those hard to fill locations because outside of Alaska and Hawaii there is no locality pay that real federal employees get. So in some places postal workers out earn the local police sergeant but in others he falls further behind and will quit when faced with endless mandated 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Maybe congress can force the service to give local pay, but the unions fight against it as Peoria postal workers get paid what it takes for the bare minimum to get some Manhattan postal workers.

Now rural carriers are in a pay cut situation due to new reporting conditions things are about to get worse. Meanwhile city carriers are in the negotiation process for their next contract. If I was USPS management I would be pushing for those mandated to work on their standard day off to work on a vacant route instead of their own. So those (increasingly) lucky to have a regular carrier would see regular delivery 5 instead of 6 days a week while those who don't have a regular carrier would see a more regular delivery schedule then when that local district finds an additional carrier as we rotate to other routes on hours 8 though 12 every day but the union will fight that tooth and nail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas