Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 10:48 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times

Advertisements

Not here to start class warfare and I recognize there are people struggling for whatever reason these days. But I'm spending a few weeks in town to get a project done and I just took my first day out to do some errands and the endless begging, pleas for money and rude comments are just startling to me.

Two different people aggressively panhanded me at Smith's in the parking lot (way down on S Rainbow, not a rough area). Then inside a woman with four kids had a basket full of stuff and was begging me to pay for it all. I told her no and she and two of her kids followed me around, she saying her kids are hungry. Eventually they moved on and then in self checkout a lady was tackled by security for threatening an employee because she said the machine was cheating her and knew she didn't have enough cash to pay.

Then I went to Habit for lunch and didn't feel like tipping and the cashier gave me a speech about how they appreciate generous customers. Felt like a total shakedown. To top it off, stopped for gas and wouldn't you know it a lady asks me for 12 bucks for gas. What happened to asking for a dollar?

Was it just a bad day or are things really heading downhill around here?

Old 01-07-2024, 07:31 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,561,780 times
Eh, I've dealt with homelessness for years much worse than anything Vegas has to offer. How do I "put up" with it? I typically have compassion and empathy for people in that situation. I don't look at it as some major inconvenience that someone asks me for money. I understand how fortunate I am and don't look down upon people that are less fortunate than me. That's how I deal with it.

Exactly what would like to be done about it?

P.S. I'm not sure how far someone would get on one dollar of gas.

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-07-2024 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-07-2024, 09:10 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Las Vegas is not the most representative barometer of how often one encounters a panhandler or other broke desperate person. It is a city with one of the highest "transient" populations, and one of the lowest percentage of native born locals anywhere in the USA. And no doubt many retail wage workers especially food service hit up customers for tips even though it is not a traditional full service restaurant. A big percentage of the Las Vegas population is dependent on tip related income so almost everyone wants their share.

Can't say I am shocked to read what the OP encountered in just one day in LV, but I suppose it varies from one part of town to another. In contrast, I'm a newbie to living in SW Ohio and haven't seen hardly a homeless person since I got here, no panhandlers and nobody has hit me up for a tip for ordering prepared food at the counter and picking up the food at the counter - I generally tip when I go to a sit down restaurant.

Old 01-07-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Las Vegas is not the most representative barometer of how often one encounters a panhandler or other broke desperate person. It is a city with one of the highest "transient" populations, and one of the lowest percentage of native born locals anywhere in the USA. And no doubt many retail wage workers especially food service hit up customers for tips even though it is not a traditional full service restaurant. A big percentage of the Las Vegas population is dependent on tip related income so almost everyone wants their share.

Can't say I am shocked to read what the OP encountered in just one day in LV, but I suppose it varies from one part of town to another. In contrast, I'm a newbie to living in SW Ohio and haven't seen hardly a homeless person since I got here, no panhandlers and nobody has hit me up for a tip for ordering prepared food at the counter and picking up the food at the counter - I generally tip when I go to a sit down restaurant.
Actually I am. I lived is San Francisco for 50 years, which has a considerably worse homeless problem, and never experienced anything remotely close to that.

I also tip at restaurants and usually give 20%. They'd have to really **** me off for them to get nothing.

Old 01-07-2024, 12:11 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Then I went to Habit for lunch and didn't feel like tipping and the cashier gave me a speech about how they appreciate generous customers. Felt like a total shakedown.
I agree with you regarding tipping and it is a shakedown. I looked up "Habit" burger joints and it appears they are just like any other fast food joint. Since when do these workers expect a tip? Do they deserve a tip? They take your order and put it in a bag for you.

Most waitstaff at restaurants that SHOULD be tipped make like 2-3 dollars per hour.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:31 PM

4,170 posts, read 2,567,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Eh, I've dealt with homelessness for years much worse than anything Vegas has to offer. How do I "put up" with it? I typically have compassion and empathy for people in that situation. I don't look at it as some major inconvenience that someone asks me for money. I understand how fortunate I am and don't look down upon people that are less fortunate than me. That's how I deal with it.

Exactly what would like to be done about it?

P.S. I'm not sure how far someone would get on one dollar of gas.
Yeah, but how much of what the OP mentioned is a result from a real need, and how much is just a scam? But that is a lot of people to run into in a short time.

One issue that did come up over 1 yr ago is that the food stamp program, SNAP, increased their benefits while covid was a thing. But then they took all of that away after folks got used to it lowering it to almost nothing. One article said that a family of 4 lost aprox $400 a month towards food when it was taken away. That was a real disaster for many. As a low income senior I lost about $100 down to around $24 a month. It has since righted itself for me though thankfully.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Yeah, but how much of what the OP mentioned is a result from a real need, and how much is just a scam? But that is a lot of people to run into in a short time.

One issue that did come up over 1 yr ago is that the food stamp program, SNAP, increased their benefits while covid was a thing. But then they took all of that away after folks got used to it lowering it to almost nothing. One article said that a family of 4 lost aprox $400 a month towards food when it was taken away. That was a real disaster for many. As a low income senior I lost about $100 down to around $24 a month. It has since righted itself for me though thankfully.
Who knows how much of it is a scam? It's a convenient comment that doesn't apply to the majority. Homelessness is a problem all over the country (Vegas barely ranks in the top 20). But in the grand scheme of things, there are much bigger problems than someone asking for a handout. Don't want to help someone...just say no and go about your day. Glad to hear your situation righted itself.

Old 01-07-2024, 03:17 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,033 times
"Then I went to Habit for lunch and didn't feel like tipping..."
You reveal yourself with such a statement.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:41 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"Then I went to Habit for lunch and didn't feel like tipping..."
You reveal yourself with such a statement.
Apparently, Habit is a fast food joint. Would you judge the same if they didn't tip at McDonald's?

Old 01-08-2024, 08:39 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
The word fortunate. I don't think fortune or luck has anything or at least not much to do with people who are hassling customers to pay for their groceries. Bad decisions in life, yes. I would imagine if you look at the woman's life and what she spends money on you will find the root of the problem. Its like saying someone is down on their luck. Like the only way you can put food on the table is to be lucky. Nope not how things work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas