Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 08:54 AM

7,769 posts, read 3,798,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post

Exactly what would like to be done about it?
Offer them a bus ticket to San Francisco.

Quote:
P.S. I'm not sure how far someone would get on one dollar of gas.
It's trivial - you go to the attendant shack, push a $1 bill through to the attendant & say "give me $1 on Pump # 7."

Old 01-08-2024, 09:00 AM

7,769 posts, read 3,798,128 times

Old 01-08-2024, 09:01 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,561,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The word fortunate. I don't think fortune or luck has anything or at least not much to do with people who are hassling customers to pay for their groceries. Bad decisions in life, yes. I would imagine if you look at the woman's life and what she spends money on you will find the root of the problem. Its like saying someone is down on their luck. Like the only way you can put food on the table is to be lucky. Nope not how things work.
Not the intent of my comment at all (I'm sorry you misunderstood it). The main issue with many of the homeless is actually related to mental issues. It also has to do with other health related problems and sometimes injury. I would also say that those (like myself) that were blessed with parents that made sure I received a good education also have a step up on others not so "fortunate". Do you honestly think the fact that a person is healthy, injury free, and the beneficiary of a good education doesn't make him fortunate? I do. It's not always about bad decisions.

And as already stated, no one is under any duress to help anyone. I'm not a mind reader so I don't know the specifics of the anecdote above (I'm thinking you don't either). I'm just commenting on how I deal with it (which I believe was the question asked).

What I find ironic is when it comes to matters like this, there's a contingency of people that point to the person not taking personal responsibility. But when it comes to things like personal debt (i.e. credit cards), suddenly it's the Presidents fault (funny how that works).

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-08-2024 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-08-2024, 09:26 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
I went through Dunkin Donuts drive thru last week. Bill was $4.06, not wanting to carry around 94 cents, I told the employee here's $5.10. She took my $5.10, rung up the sale and put $1.04 in her tip jar. I laughed and drove away. It's not just the down and out grifting others.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:27 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Not the intent of my comment at all (I'm sorry you misunderstood it). The main issue with many of the homeless is actually related to mental issues. It also has to do with other health related problems and sometimes injury. I would also say that those (like myself) that were blessed with parents that made sure I received a good education also have a step up on others not so "fortunate". Do you honestly think the fact that a person is healthy, injury free, and the beneficiary of a good education doesn't make him fortunate? I do. It's not always about bad decisions.
It helps to have a good upbringing. I did also. If you want to look at fortune from a different perspective just being born in America in the last 80 years or so puts you at a big advantage as being born in most of the world. And being born now here instead of 200 years ago is fortunate. The opportunities are here for everyone. Its takes a little more work without a good upbringing but there are scholarships, student loans, etc. Most can have a better life and not have to ask strangers to feed their kids. So yes the woman asking for handouts at the market is really very fortunate living in this country now. But she is doing a poor job of taking advantage of her opportunities.

Mental illness is a whole different thing. I don't blame a person for being mentally ill. I do blame the government for not having the resources to help these people. But that is a different subject.

Quote:
And as already stated, no one is under any duress to help anyone. I'm not a mind reader so I don't know the specifics of the anecdote above (I'm thinking you don't either). I'm just commenting on how I deal with it (which I believe was the question asked).

What I find ironic is when it comes to matters like this, there's a contingency of people that point to the person not taking personal responsibility. But when it comes to things like personal debt (i.e. credit cards), suddenly it's the Presidents fault (funny how that works).
I don't blame the WH for someone taking on too much credit card debt. But you are right some people do. Depending on who is in the WH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas