Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 06:35 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,048 times

Advertisements

I'm still blown away that someone would pay $500 for one meal. Is that blowing smoke or what? A person can buy 4 8 oz. cold water lobster tails (that would give each person 2, not 1) at their fresh local seafood market, a very good bottle of wine and have spent perhaps $115, at the most. Add in 2 additional prime filets, huge bakers with sour cream and butter, all the drawn butter your tail could ever need and a fresh loaf of artisan bread and you might now be at $175. It takes less than 8 minutes to properly cook the above and you sit down by the fireplace at home or on the patio, with your special person and linger as long as you want with no concerns over service. $325 now remains for one's favorite charity if they tend to blow money like that or they can put it aside for that rainy day that always seems to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:12 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
To each their own. I can't understand how so people pay so much for clothes, handbags, or computers but I don't worry about it. I like watches, I could buy a $10 watch but instead spend much more for a watch.

If they have the money and can afford it, I can understand why they do it.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 AM

59 posts, read 326,785 times
Some people have a lot of money to throw away, and to do that they come to Vegas and have those 500$ dinners every night. I will doubt that any of the locals ever go to places like these, well maybe not more than once in a while. I would never buy a 500$ dinner, I rather get 100 big mac meals instead

Old 06-14-2008, 10:49 AM

39 posts, read 136,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukalo View Post
Some people have a lot of money to throw away, and to do that they come to Vegas and have those 500$ dinners every night. I will doubt that any of the locals ever go to places like these, well maybe not more than once in a while. I would never buy a 500$ dinner, I rather get 100 big mac meals instead
I wouldn't eat 100 big mac meals in my life time if you paid me $500.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:38 AM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,863,099 times
People who can afford to spend money on things they don't need are what keeps Vegas going. Be glad there are folks who will pay top dollar to be entertained and well fed.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:10 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,443 times
People can just throw money away like that. A guy walked around the Palazzo the other day handing Chocolate ($5000) chips to everyone he passed by. He gave my wife 2 for arranging a high end meal and a helicopter tour and he gave some infant in a stroller one just for making him smile. She said the janitors sweeping all got one and even the security officer just standing ther got some. He gave the limo driver 2. But she said that this guy also had 3 $1 million markers with the property and his bank said he was more than good for it. It would be nice, huh?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
In my prior life I did Europe once a month. We would relatively routinely hit over $250 per head...and that was 15 years ago. I remember one memoriable evening when a guy let the English techies loose at the after meal liquor cart. They went through $500 a head in cordials in a couple of hours.

Our only in Las Vegas was a 7 course sampling of the output of a very good chef paired with suitable wines. The two packages...meals and wine were worth about $220 a head. Add a cocktail and tips and you are around $550.

It included some interesting things...ohh a Poki made on your plate in front of you by a pretty young thing. Three of the courses were exquisite..the rest good. The Poki was more of a presentation thing...Hell I can make Poki.

Now Michaels is all about service. Excellent food but perfect service. Good old Las Vegas style service. They meet your need before you think of it. And yet they don't overwhelm you with it. Same trick as the good European places.

There use to be a place called the Russian River Inn in CA near Forrestville. You show up they feed you what they have. No more than 20 guests a night. You check the guest book and there is virtually everyone you ever heard of. Wonderous at least once. $200 a head 25 years ago.

Nice to have a little money. Most of my good eating was done on someone else or an expense account. But I like to do it once in a while. If I did it much it would swiftly end my days. I do like to eat and am overweight. So I now avoid the occassion of sin except on very special dates.

Save your change. After a couple of years it will be ready for a trip to the Italian Fish Restaurant in Wynn or Michaels or Nobu. Try it. Makes for a memorable experience.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM

29 posts, read 167,891 times
I guess I compare a $500 dinner to a high-end event like a concert, the theater or a sporting event like the Super Bowl. For me, going to that type of restaurant is all about the individualized service, watching how the servers orchestrate everything and everyone, experiencing new combinations of foods and flavors that I would never be able to come up with on my own, and just sitting back and enjoying the "show". A dinner like that will probably take a good 3 hours - comparable in time to a high end event. And it provides a wonderful opportunity for intimate conversation with your companion (something you definitely can't do at any of the above).

Even though it's something we'd only do once a year, this type of experience is highly satisfying to me. And yes - I can easily have a great meal at home or in another less-expensive restaurant, but it's all about the total experience - not just the food. To each his own, right?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 PM
MS1

135 posts, read 357,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I'm still blown away that someone would pay $500 for one meal. Is that blowing smoke or what? A person can buy 4 8 oz. cold water lobster tails (that would give each person 2, not 1) at their fresh local seafood market, a very good bottle of wine and have spent perhaps $115, at the most. Add in 2 additional prime filets, huge bakers with sour cream and butter, all the drawn butter your tail could ever need and a fresh loaf of artisan bread and you might now be at $175. It takes less than 8 minutes to properly cook the above and you sit down by the fireplace at home or on the patio, with your special person and linger as long as you want with no concerns over service. $325 now remains for one's favorite charity if they tend to blow money like that or they can put it aside for that rainy day that always seems to come.
I hear what you are saying, but may I ask where this dinner was located at? I have a feeling you dined at a ranking establishment--possibly even one that is Michelin-rated.

Once you factor in the executive chef's/owner's overall reputation, the market price of certain ingredients, and the general operating costs associated with the restaurant, then you might be able to understand the reasoning behind the prices. Many of those establishments do donate a percentage of their net profits to charitable organizations as well, so that does ease the mind a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: