Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM

24 posts, read 46,165 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the culinary field. We currently live in Michigan but would like to move our family out of this depressed state ASAP. I've heard that the economy isn't great right now in Vegas. How hard would it be for him to get a job down there? We are looking anywhere to move - the sooner the better - and Vegas was one place we have been thinking about.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysam View Post
My husband is in the culinary field. We currently live in Michigan but would like to move our family out of this depressed state ASAP. I've heard that the economy isn't great right now in Vegas. How hard would it be for him to get a job down there? We are looking anywhere to move - the sooner the better - and Vegas was one place we have been thinking about.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, even the part time culinary jobs are getting hard to find.

Expect low pay and horrible hours, if you work in most of the hotels you'll be in the Culinary Union...you'll get pretty decent benefits, but the pay is lousy.
Remember, Las Vegas is a 24 hour place, so you'll probably have to work weekends and take whatever hours you can get full or part time, including stand-by .

No matter how much culinary experience you already have, expect to start at the bottom, line cook, kitchen helper, prep person, dish washer, pantry, that type of thing.

You can also scour the local want ads and maybe find a position in a small, restaurant or tavern that might pay you $10-13 an hour, the field of culinary employment is oversaturated here.

One word of advice though, some employers here tend to favor hiring locals, people with stable backgrounds and some history of Las Vegas employment. No matter how much experience you've had elsewhere. But that's not always the case either, so it's worth a try if your really intent on moving here.

You might even have to work at a job that is not in your field, until you find culinary employement here, so that's another option.

Make a trip here first and have some interviews lined up before you arrive. DON'T move with no job, no income and no money to fall back on. Things are tough here as they are everywhere right now.

Still, good luck in your search, and good luck with your move.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Just wondering....who keeps circulating that memo in MI that it is time to move out of there and to Las Vegas?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
jfk...IT'S 900 DEGREES BELOW ZERO....Where would YOU want to live

Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 PM

24 posts, read 46,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Just wondering....who keeps circulating that memo in MI that it is time to move out of there and to Las Vegas?

I've lived here my whole life and was blessed enough to have a job that paid for me to travel to visit clients throughout the country. There are so many places out there that I would love to live at. There is much more out there than what Michigan has to offer. I just want kids to be able to experience it as well. Nothing really wrong with Michigan, just my time to move on to better places that fit us better. Las Vegas is just one of the many places that we have on our list to move to that we are considering. I could also do without this weather for a little bit!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Good luck to you. My question was more of a statement on the very many who seem to head to Las Vegas, specifically from Michigan. Sociologically-speaking, I always question how certain areas get targeted as the place to move. For instance, many Long Islanders feel that the move to NC is right place. Up here, about 15 years ago, many felt Atlanta was the right place. Just on this board, it is apparent that many from MI feel that Las Vegas is the place.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
It'll be hard for Las Vegas to outlive its own legend of being the land of milk and honey........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas