Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 PM

86 posts, read 306,791 times

Advertisements

Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

Nevada-Most Dangerous State?

This kinda bothers me a bit, I love Las Vegas. Is this the honest truth?
I would have though Michigan or California would have been number 1 but I guess not. Can someone please tell me if this is the truth or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:00 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Actually the list looks pretty accurate although LV may be more of a concern on property theft and drugs and less on homicides and assaults. I know for a fact Memphis, TN tops the list for homicides. There's always good and bad areas in any major city, just becareful and choose where you live.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
If its on the internet it must be true. I don't trust those studies. Though I agree Nevada can be a dangerous place, if they used different criteria in the study, they would have come to a different conclusion.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,769 times
Why you got to hate on Michigan ?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
why you got to hate on michigan ?

lol!:d:d

Old 11-19-2008, 10:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Default Bull Sh*t Alarm goes off.

Think about it a little. Most dangerous state? Hmmm consists of really two cities and a little left over. Neither city makes the top 15. Hmmm?

It is a piece of BS promotion brought to you by CQ. What it is actually is the federal crime statistics...but they really could not sell that to the gullible. So what they did is move car theft from property crime to violent crime.

Las Vegas does have a problem with car thefts.

So Nevada ends up number 1.

It is also driven by the fact that Nevada is actually a very urban state. Third most urban in the US. Most of us live in the two metro areas.

The result is we end up comparing the two cities to the other states.

So don't pay a lot of attention.

Where are we really? Above the middle but in the middle third. Not bad enough to be an issue. But not good enough to feature.

When you consider the tourist population that is actually pretty good.

Never make it as low crime...though Henderson and Summerlin likely qualify, but are not high crime either. Nice safe place compared to the rust belt.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:44 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoLV View Post
Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

Nevada-Most Dangerous State?

This kinda bothers me a bit, I love Las Vegas. Is this the honest truth?
I would have though Michigan or California would have been number 1 but I guess not. Can someone please tell me if this is the truth or not?
Morgan Quinto, and various others also rate Nv as the MOST dangerous state: http://os.cqpress.com/Crime%20State%...0Dangerous.pdf MORE importantly, volume and revenue will not correspond to growth in LV, thereby creating even more crime than already exists in THE "cesspool".

Last edited by sheriff; 11-24-2008 at 04:23 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Morgan Quinto, and various others also rate Nv as the MOST dangerous state: http://os.cqpress.com/Crime%20State%...0Dangerous.pdf MORE importantly, volume and revenue will not correspond to growth in LV, thereby creating even more crime than already exists in THE "cesspool".
Actually the link you posted was the "study" referenced by the link in the original post. I'd love to see the scoring criteria.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Actually the link you posted was the "study" referenced by the link in the original post. I'd love to see the scoring criteria.
It is actually and simply the federal crime data with car theft moved to the violent side. So Dangerous is violent crime plus car theft.

Nevada does badly on a number of such listings as it is a very urban state.

And it has a long history of suicides though the present oft quoted Las Vegas numbers appear to involve busted statistics. The number of suicides is Clark County but the population used is Las Vegas. The suicide rate in Nevada is higher in the rural areas than in Clark County...so it is not driven by the Vegas gambling thing.

Note though that Vegas does much better on crime than does Nevada. Does not make the CD list of top 100. I think fairly it is middle third. If you accout for the tourists it get close to the average for big cities.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:03 PM

278 posts, read 1,084,082 times
CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2008

Las Vegas is number 56 under city crime rankings. I had to laugh because I counted 6 cities in Ohio before I came upon Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas