Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,404 times

Advertisements

I bought a vehicle in Vegas. Registered it there to the tune of $350. (ugh) and then moved back to MI. ('nother ugh) I didn't really want to register the vehicle here until I had to because that is just more money, but when I got home there was a card here saying that we didn't show proof of ins. (husband went to DMV and he said they didn't even ask about ins.) so that if we didn't send proof in 20 days our registration would be suspended and would cost $250. to reinstate.

Well, since I had the mail re-routed back here to MI and then I flew back to Vegas to drive the vehicle back, I didn't get that until I got back. It was dated 12-19 which it obviously took forever to get to me in MI because I was in MI until the third of Jan. and it wasn't delivered up to that point.

At any rate, does anyone know if I can just ignore that and then just register it in MI? In MI you cannot get a plate without your proof of ins. on the day you go in.

I am thinking it is a dang good thing we didn't get pulled over on the ride to MI!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 PM

177 posts, read 700,531 times
I had the same thing mailed to me when I moved to New Jersey from Vegas. When I first moved to NJ I turned in my Nevada state ID and got a New Jersey one. I then called my auto insurance and had my insurance switched from Nevada to New Jersey. A couple months passed and I got that same letter about paying a $250 fee and/or having my license suspended because they had no proof of NEVADA state auto insurance for approximately the amount of time I had initially changed my insurance over to that present time. I disregarded the letter and went to the New Jersey DMV and finally switched my registration and plates to New Jersey.

As long as you don't move back to Nevada you won't have to pay that $250. Heck, I didn't even mail my old Nevada plates back. The problem for me is I may move back and I will have to pay that $250; hopefully I won't have any other problems since I didn't mail the old plates back.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 PM

Really? I don't understand why you would have to pay that money when you didn't live there and the vehicle wasn't there anymore.

There is a spot on the card that you can check that says you have moved out of state with the vehicle, but I am still past the 20 dang days. I am hoping to go back too.

When you registered your vehicle in Vegas, did they ask you for proof of ins?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 PM

177 posts, read 700,531 times
When I moved to Jersey I needed proof of insurance in NEW JERSEY to get registration and plates for New Jersey, so I switched my auto insurance from Nevada to Jersey (I moved from Nevada to jersey not the other way around). My car is leased so I had a little issue with the financing company releasing my title to the DMV so I took awhile, mostly my fault, between the time I switched my auto insurance from Nevada to Jersey and when I actually got my Jersey registration and plates...make sense? The Nevada DMV didn't see any proof of NEVADA state insurance for that time period and they sent me that letter. I disregarded since I moved to Jersey. I will owe that $250 if I ever go to get Nevada plates or registration (and probably state ID) if I decide to move back someday.

Since you moved to Michigan and are getting Michigan plates and registration soon, just disregard.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM

52 posts, read 200,132 times
Kimba, why are you back in Michigan? Did I miss that post?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM

Yeah. It's probably in here somewhere. Probably in the Las Vegas Chat. Long story short...couple kids pregnant, my youngest was horribly homesick, didn't want to pay large rent anymore, and still looking to buy a house. So, I came back with daughter to be around for the grandbabies and husband stayed there working. I plan to commute until we get a house and then I will decide on a date to make the BIG move.

I miss Vegas and my husband terribly. I need a clone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas