Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM

29 posts, read 167,875 times

Advertisements

Hi again,
Hopefuly, someday, I'll be able to start offering answers on this site instead of always asking questions. But for today - here it goes...

We're moving to las vegas in September, and I'm trying to put together all the pieces of the puzzle, so to speak. I've read conflicting information concerning the use of a freezer in a garage. We currently live in a climate with one, maybe 2 weeks of the summer getting over 90 degrees. We use an upright freezer in our garage without any trouble. However, I'm concerned that the hot climate in LV will be too much of a strain on a freezer out in the garage. Do any of you use a freezer in your garage? If so - how well does it work? And if it works well - does it cost much more to run than if you kept it in your house?

As always - thanks in advance for your advice and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:29 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,726 times
Hi, I live in Phx and our storage freezer has been out in the garage for years for years. No problems We didn't move it into the house till a year ago and it's in a utility room now right off the garage there is no a/c in there. Not sure what it costs to run but it's like running a light bulb or something small for us. It should be fine. Our freezer has been fine.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM

29 posts, read 167,875 times
Thanks Prinny!
I asked a few guys at Lowes and Home Depot, and they said it shouldn't be a problem. But sometimes I feel like the salespeople will just say what you want to hear. That's probably a bit of a paranoid attitude on my part, but I feel better knowing that someone else is doing the same thing without any problems.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 AM

709 posts, read 2,180,323 times
I have a freezer and a refrigarator in the garage, no problems. Keep your freezer full and it will not run like an empty one. Fill it full of ice if nothing else.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
I keep my freezer in a utility room in my apartment. Even though it's in the apartment, there is no a/c in that room and it is noticably warm when opening the door and entering.

I've not gotten my first utility bill but appreciate everyone's comments.
Great post!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
I have an extra freezer in my garage.

It's worked out well.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,862,964 times
It sounds like you're also asking how hot garages get in Las Vegas. My garage temp has been at 100deg day and night this month. It gets heated up and then traps all of the hot air.

Can't say whether this will cause your refer to work harder, but just letting you know that the garage will be much warmer than the rest of your house.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:24 PM

45 posts, read 273,928 times
Smile From the "salesmans" mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkd View Post
Thanks Prinny!
I asked a few guys at Lowes and Home Depot, and they said it shouldn't be a problem. But sometimes I feel like the salespeople will just say what you want to hear. That's probably a bit of a paranoid attitude on my part, but I feel better knowing that someone else is doing the same thing without any problems.

Well, I am personally upset by that remark, only cuz i take pride in educating the public on the innovations available at sears. BUT I DIGRESS... Yes you can place a freezer in a garage. The heat should not be an issue. With the lower humidity in Las Vegas, you should get no condensation either... HOWEVER... If the garage is NOT heated, you can not put the freezer, or a refrig in the garage if the temp goes below 55 degerees in the winter... The coils will freeze. Hopefully that helps.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierbu View Post
Well, I am personally upset by that remark, only cuz i take pride in educating the public on the innovations available at sears. BUT I DIGRESS... Yes you can place a freezer in a garage. The heat should not be an issue. With the lower humidity in Las Vegas, you should get no condensation either... HOWEVER... If the garage is NOT heated, you can not put the freezer, or a refrig in the garage if the temp goes below 55 degerees in the winter... The coils will freeze. Hopefully that helps.
They survive. It does go below 55 in the garages in Las Vegas. But not far and not very long. Nobody pays much attention.

Virtually all Refrigerator companies have a kit that allows operation down to 34 degrees. You can also put a room heater in the same space that cuts on at 45 or so. that will do it.

It is like a ficus benjamin. You can grow it here outside if the space is protected and you stick a pipe heater in its branches...

Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 PM

100 posts, read 404,593 times
I am glad someone started this thread. I was at HD last week buying appliances and stopped short on the freezer due to mixed feelings on it.
I am now going to buy one as soon as we get back out to our new house.
Thanks for all the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas