Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,188 times

Advertisements

This story was so sad. How is the recession affecting other medical care in Vegas? It was hard enough to find a doctor or get an appointment before things got bad.

I hope things will get better soon.

The Recession's Impact: Closing The Clinic - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,530,819 times
I think the media now officially hates Las Vegas. Not saying bad things aren't happening there (as they also are in other places)...but the media (including LV's own) seem to thrive for a bad LV story these days. **** sells, I guess.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I think the media now officially hates Las Vegas. Not saying bad things aren't happening there (as they also are in other places)...but the media (including LV's own) seem to thrive for a bad LV story these days. **** sells, I guess.
I agree--that's always been the case. For a brief while I dated the assistant news director at channel 13. He knew they got a lot of stories wrong, but if they didn't no one would watch.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM

482 posts, read 1,373,437 times
There's a lot worse ****e than that happening.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Since the beginnings of Las Vegas, nearly all news stories in every part of the country, especially the extremely jealous L.A. Times, have always focused on, and sensationalized, anything and everything that might show Las Vegas in a bad light. If they can't find something that actually happened they make something up. That is true of all news media about anything they report, but Las Vegas has always been a special object of their attention. I worked in the business for 32 years. I know people think there are exceptions to this statement, but there aren't: You cannot believe anything you read in a newspaper or hear on a TV or radio newscast. Absolutely nothing. I'm sure if the guy from 13 was completely honest with you, he would tell you that when a reporter is given an assignment to "cover" a story, he/she is told how to present it, what to say, and the story is written before they even go out to "cover" it. It's the main reason my wife gave up her career as a TV anchor/reporter, and why some of my production camera people would refuse to fill in for sick or vacationing news photographers.

I can't tell you how many surveys we paid to have done where people asked to hear something positive now and then, and various News Directors just laughed about it, and actually would say that people only say that because it sounds good, and they aren't smart enough to know what they want. They would just sneer about it, and continue sensationalizing what are generally non-events. In fact, if you pay attention, the promos for upcoming stories are presented better than the story, but they are sensationalized even more. Ever seen a promo that made you watch for the story, and when it was finally on halfway through the last segment of the cast, it fell completely flat, and didn't make any sense? Happens everyday. Lies never make any sense.

As far as most managers who could do something about if they wanted to, they like having the power to ruin people with lies and innuendos, and making money hand over fist by selling that crap to gullible people who watch TV news and read newspapers. So the next time you get all worked up over a story, remember, it's 99% sure to be a total lie. About all you can get from it is that something probably happened, but you will never know what it was. If you don't believe me, just watch for a story about something you know about, or are a part of. At the very least it will be full of errors.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM

482 posts, read 1,373,437 times
It cost Dan Rather his job.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,484,879 times
UMC Cancer Clinic has run out of money. Donations are way down and the budget cuts have taken their toll. Indigents and those with no medical insurance will be the sufferers and victims because of this.

The other hospitals with special cancer units and the Nevada Cancer Institute will definately not treat those with NO insurance and who can't pay for their services.

Some of our charity food banks/soup kitchens are feeling the pinch as well.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,530,819 times
Maybe The Honorable Mayor Goodman should practice some compassion?

"This time Goodman’s tentative solution is to find five acres somewhere in the city, away from residences and businesses, and move the homeless people — forcibly if necessary, and if he can find a way to make it constitutional — to that spot. It could be a place “where they can bother each other, steal from each other, shoot drugs with each other, drink with each other,” Goodman said."

Growing homeless settlement vexes business, Goodman - Las Vegas Sun

I remember Scrooge saying something vaguely similar in 'A Christmas Carol'.

Last edited by jfkIII; 04-06-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM

444 posts, read 1,617,103 times
Weren't there a lot of stories back when UMC first got into trouble that the management caused the downfall? Was the lady on 60 minutes a part of that management?

You can't lose some of the "funding" like Medicare and Medicaid unless you become 'un'certified. Becoming uncertified is difficult to do. Meaning, you truly have to screw up.

If privately owned hospitals are making money, and they are, why would a public hospital go broke?

I'm not sure who it would be, but every person needing care also needs a person to advocate for them. When you are very sick, the last thing you are able to do is jump through the hoops of medical providers.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM

278 posts, read 792,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
Weren't there a lot of stories back when UMC first got into trouble that the management caused the downfall? Was the lady on 60 minutes a part of that management?

You can't lose some of the "funding" like Medicare and Medicaid unless you become 'un'certified. Becoming uncertified is difficult to do. Meaning, you truly have to screw up.

If privately owned hospitals are making money, and they are, why would a public hospital go broke?

i'm not sure who it would be, but every person needing care also needs a person to advocate for them. When you are very sick, the last thing you are able to do is jump through the hoops of medical providers.
medicare and medicaid are two different things.

medicare is paid for by federal tax dollars.
medicaid is paid for by state taxes... given that there is no state income tax, the funding for medicaid is rather low in the state of nevada.

also, outpatient services (which this clinic is/was) are paid for in a different manner. medicaid has the patient pay a co-pay ($10-20), and then pays a flat fee for provided service. most providers find that a purely medicaid patient actually costs money to see. i.e. if you only can collect $15 from the patient, but it costs you $18, it becomes not worth your time. also, certain services medicaid may not pay for.

strangely enough, with the way that rules/laws/regulations are written, you cannot bill medicaid services, and then charge them what you want. i didn't see the 60 minutes segment, but it could be a financial move on the part of umc to de-enroll/not sign up to be a provider of medicaid services on the outpatient side.

as far as private hospitals versus public hospitals... the payor mix is quite different, and thus the services offered can be drastically different. unfortunately, medicine is a business like any other business, and that which pays drives services. in other words, procedures and surgeries make money. taking care of patients, not so much.
so, private hospitals drive up outpatient procedures- elective heart caths, elective low risk outpatient surgeries, outpatient stress tests, etc.... and get away from (or curtail) providing money losing services.

thus, new hospitals seem to try and build a lot of operating/procedure romms/suites; while having a lower number of inpatient hospital beds than one would think. while not in our city, la recently opened a new county facility. it has a lower number of beds than the "old county", even though the population of la has risen dramatically between the time "old county" was built and now. but the payment of services was also different at that time.

add to that, the under-insured/uninsured population at umc is drastically different (read: higher) than at summerlin/st rose san martin/ st rose siena. having a high percentage of people with low or no payment status definitely affects a hospital's bottomline. yes, charity care is a tax write off, but it's not as though the tax write off is dollar for dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas