Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The poster who revived this thread after three years is talking about the small airport in North Las Vegas, not McCarren International, which makes your entire post moot, if not completely irrelevant. But then again, that's what happens when someone from Georgia tries to explain how things work in Las Vegas.

(And if you were responding to one of the earlier posts from 2007 and didn't realize it......well, that is just too sad to contemplate.)
Oh man. I stuck my foot in my mouth there. I just responded to it because it was near the top of the threads which usually means it is new. I never go to page 2 of anything on here. I did not realize the OP was not talking of McCarren because they just said "the airport" and that is the only one I know of. I am truly sorry for sticking my foot in mouth on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,061 times
Ive noticed lately that instead of taking off heading towards red rock they're now landing from that direction. I like it I cant hear 'em coming in.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 PM

179 posts, read 389,848 times
I understand and appreciate the economic growth and business matter of having good airports.

It's just that I am well over 65 years of age, have lived twice under airport flightpaths and always had tension problems when they flew low overhead and shook the house.

Maybe it's selfish of me to ask questions about the airport and plane noise in the area I had in question, but honestly, it's the last move of my life and I was hoping not to aggravate my personal health in my old age by making a bad choice.

That is the only reason why I asked. I'm not bad-mouthing the airports or saying planes shouldn't fly - and yes, some people live very near the final approach and descents - I have in the past - I just didn't know I could handle it in my final years of life as I knew the tension they caused me from previous experience.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM

SkyVector.com seems to have a lot of flightpaths mapped out. I just don't know how to read them, what the purple lines mean. If anyone knows how to read these charts, please let me know. The area I have in question is North Decatur about 1/3 the distance south of the 215, between the 215 and the North Las Vegas (small) airport, around the Ann and North Decatur location. I notice that the jets from Nellis show a purple line and it says they do fast ascents and descents, for pilots to watch out as they dart by in an east/west pattern and don't know if I should be aware of that too.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 PM

222 posts, read 385,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Wichita has a very quiet airport but I don't think any of you want to live there. So does Detroit.
Detroit has a quiet airport? Northwest/Delta must have very quietly pulled their mega-hub out of there without letting anyone know then.....

Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
SkyVector.com seems to have a lot of flightpaths mapped out. I just don't know how to read them, what the purple lines mean. If anyone knows how to read these charts, please let me know. The area I have in question is North Decatur about 1/3 the distance south of the 215, between the 215 and the North Las Vegas (small) airport, around the Ann and North Decatur location. I notice that the jets from Nellis show a purple line and it says they do fast ascents and descents, for pilots to watch out as they dart by in an east/west pattern and don't know if I should be aware of that too.
You'll be ok on Decatur as the planes from Nellis get up pretty quickly. If you moved closer to Nellis like near the Craig/Losee area then you would get a lot of noise.

Traffic flying into North Las Vegas is pretty minimal since it's usually the puddle-jumpers and other small aircraft.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
You'll be ok on Decatur as the planes from Nellis get up pretty quickly. If you moved closer to Nellis like near the Craig/Losee area then you would get a lot of noise.

Traffic flying into North Las Vegas is pretty minimal since it's usually the puddle-jumpers and other small aircraft.

Thanks !!!!

This is just the kind of first-hand info I was hoping someone might share.

Thanks again, the info helps.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Quote:
Thanks !!!!

This is just the kind of first-hand info I was hoping someone might share.

Thanks again, the info helps.
And the planes going/coming into NLV general cross Decatur at a large angle. One runway is at a right angle to Decatur and the other to the SE/NW. nothing runs up Decatur.

Nellis is relatively high by that point. And well to the north. You can hear them but they are not objectionable.

Most of the air traffic you hear will be helicopters which are rather uniform over the outer parts of the city.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And the planes going/coming into NLV general cross Decatur at a large angle. One runway is at a right angle to Decatur and the other to the SE/NW. nothing runs up Decatur.

Nellis is relatively high by that point. And well to the north. You can hear them but they are not objectionable.

Most of the air traffic you hear will be helicopters which are rather uniform over the outer parts of the city.
Thank you for your help.

This gives me a much clearer picture in my mind.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 AM

307 posts, read 1,222,852 times
Quote:
IIt's just that I am well over 65 years of age, have lived twice under airport flightpaths and always had tension problems when they flew low overhead and shook the house.

Really? Baahaha!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas