Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 PM

49 posts, read 123,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefselady2 View Post
Thank you for your tips!
I hope your move goes smoothly. Do you know where your children be attending school? Do you have friends/relatives in the area that can be a nearby support?
We have moved several times, and usually we know no one. At first, sometimes just finding the grocery store and getting back home can be a challenge.

Our elementary school is Glen Taylor & our Middle is Dell Web. We do not have any relatives nearby as they are all on the east coast. My husband has made friends (he has been commuting for about 18 mos) & I have met a few of them & their wives, but I do not have my own set.

This is our first move with kids (we have been in our house here for 11 yrs) & it is nerve-wracking. I am just taking a coffee break now from getting the house ready for the packers to come. It is very sad & difficult.

I do like the area that we are moving to & it has all of the conveniences that I could ask for. The difficult part is that I currently live in a small, new-england type college town where we walk everywhere, do not have large chain stores on every block & we have a large piece of property surrounded by woods & wonderful neighbors. It is absolutely beautiful here & I will be sad to leave.

The positives do outweigh the negatives in terms of professional opportunity & no more travel for my husband. We will see where this journey takes us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 PM

202 posts, read 583,496 times
Quote:
We currently live in Iowa - near Des Moines. I fully admit I would prefer to stay here but that seems unlikely given the limitations my husband has in job possibilities in our area. No matter where we end up, I will choose to make our life the best it can be.
I am not an "in your face" Christian but I would hope that my life would be different from someone who is not--e.g. in how I prioritize and use my time/$$/talents, how I treat others, etc. --that the world could see God through my heart & actions. I do not feel like I am "holier than thou", and I'm sorry if that's how I'm coming across. And yes, I have been to Vegas several times, and also a few times with my children.

Lefs, you explained that very well. I think Vegas will be fine for you and your kids, like I said kids hold onto the morals their parents teach them. I am sure we have all made mistakes at some point and so will they but it isn't about the city they live in, it will be about choices they make. Vegas to me is very normal with the exception of VP machines at gas stations etc. Sure they may see some things that they wouldn't see in Iowa but you will just have to explain some things to them. Good Luck with your move.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medc11 View Post
Our elementary school is Glen Taylor & our Middle is Dell Web. We do not have any relatives nearby as they are all on the east coast. My husband has made friends (he has been commuting for about 18 mos) & I have met a few of them & their wives, but I do not have my own set.

This is our first move with kids (we have been in our house here for 11 yrs) & it is nerve-wracking. I am just taking a coffee break now from getting the house ready for the packers to come. It is very sad & difficult.

I do like the area that we are moving to & it has all of the conveniences that I could ask for. The difficult part is that I currently live in a small, new-england type college town where we walk everywhere, do not have large chain stores on every block & we have a large piece of property surrounded by woods & wonderful neighbors. It is absolutely beautiful here & I will be sad to leave.

The positives do outweigh the negatives in terms of professional opportunity & no more travel for my husband. We will see where this journey takes us.
For many years I ran an engineering operation with major wings in Rochester NY and Los Angeles, CA.

The paranoia of the Rochester folk moving to LA was high. The west coast would eat their children. It was hopelessly tight and all the yards had walls. Traffic was terrible and the morals worse.

I would point out that upper middle class suburbs are pretty much the same in the USofA. You get more land in some and better weather in others. But the same people.

They came, they acclimatized, and they stayed. It became much more difficult to get anyone to go back to Rochester. I did, stayed two years, and beat it back to CA.

YMMV...but few go back east once acclimatized to the west.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 AM

49 posts, read 123,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
For many years I ran an engineering operation with major wings in Rochester NY and Los Angeles, CA.

The paranoia of the Rochester folk moving to LA was high. The west coast would eat their children. It was hopelessly tight and all the yards had walls. Traffic was terrible and the morals worse.

I would point out that upper middle class suburbs are pretty much the same in the USofA. You get more land in some and better weather in others. But the same people.

They came, they acclimatized, and they stayed. It became much more difficult to get anyone to go back to Rochester. I did, stayed two years, and beat it back to CA.

YMMV...but few go back east once acclimatized to the west.

Very funny since my husband's entire family is in Rochester! I myself do not care for that city, but you are right on about the mentality, and the same goes for much of central/upstate NY. We are very spoiled in the fact that most of us are living in the same areas where our ancestors immigrated to and we have a strong sense of family & pride in our history & family connections.

My husband & I (we grew up together) moved away when we first married & only moved back after we started having children. We chose to live here b/c of our family & all of the other positives (land, scenery, safety, etc) but feel that it is truly better to move away & CHOOSE to come back rather than to have never experienced anything different.

We shall see. I do not see us living in Vegas forever, but for now it is the right thing to do.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 PM

10 posts, read 33,782 times
Could someone please address the issue of desert living in Vegas--including the dust? Some friends of friends had lived there a few years and complained of it. Are there dust storms or something else--?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
yes there are dust storms, its in the middle of the desert!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 AM

7 posts, read 15,586 times
Quote:
Could someone please address the issue of desert living in Vegas--including the dust? Some friends of friends had lived there a few years and complained of it. Are there dust storms or something else--?
No you do not have to worry! there ar no dust storms here at all

Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,445 times
I am not reading all replies .. I just think ..

Can't have sin without religion
Lots of sin . = . lots of religion ... ;->

Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveVegas View Post
No you do not have to worry! there ar no dust storms here at all
yeah right....and i run all the oil operations in the middle east.....you obviously have not seen a dust storm with the tumbleweeds, etc..

Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,192 times
Quote:
We don't have dust storms! silly!!!! We have high winds during winter/spring seasons. I can't believe you believe someone telling you we have dust storms. I live here in Vegas for 6 years. We DO NOT get dust storms. I lived in Phoenix for 7 years. Oh, man, they DO have dust storms which was horrible!!!! Trust my word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: