Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Las Vegas is, for many purposes an outlying suburb of Los Angeles. It is about a point worse than Los Angeles and a point better than the Inland Empire.

It will likely get a little worse before it gets better but it will turn around when the region does.

Only Phoenix appears to be less hard hit though it is nothing to write home about.
Phoenix is not doing so great. They have had daytime home invasions in the Paradise Valley area. My friend has two homes now because she refuses to give one away for so much less than she paid. They are fortunate enough to be able to carry two homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Phoenix is not doing so great. They have had daytime home invasions in the Paradise Valley area. My friend has two homes now because she refuses to give one away for so much less than she paid. They are fortunate enough to be able to carry two homes.
Phoenix is doing way better than Vegas. This is why I was going to go back there when my job here was in limbo. 8.2% compared to 13.1% here in Vegas. As far as home invasions, they are to be expected in any large metropolitan city, especially in Paradise Valley since there that is one of the richest areas in Phoenix.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM

391 posts, read 1,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
And real unemployment is probably hovering around 20%. A lot of people have exhausted their benefits without finding work.
And that's not counting the people who have had hours or wages cut.

I would not be surprised if you could look at the total wages earned locally in Vegas that it is down 25% - I mean, at the peak how many were pulling 50 hours or more a week, and now are getting like 32? Include tips and, eeech, might be down considerably more.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGrisowld View Post
And that's not counting the people who have had hours or wages cut.

I would not be surprised if you could look at the total wages earned locally in Vegas that it is down 25% - I mean, at the peak how many were pulling 50 hours or more a week, and now are getting like 32? Include tips and, eeech, might be down considerably more.
My company where I work has completely eliminated overtime. Still, I get 40 hours a week.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
My company where I work has completely eliminated overtime. Still, I get 40 hours a week.
Reading these local forums really makes it hard to believe that the United States is coming out of the recession.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Phoenix is doing way better than Vegas. This is why I was going to go back there when my job here was in limbo. 8.2% compared to 13.1% here in Vegas. As far as home invasions, they are to be expected in any large metropolitan city, especially in Paradise Valley since there that is one of the richest areas in Phoenix.
If Phoenix is doing much better than Las Vegas, that does make Vegas look bad. I know a few people in the Phoenix area who own their own businesses. They all say that they are not doing too well.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Reading these local forums really makes it hard to believe that the United States is coming out of the recession.
It's not. We can expect a new problem soon which is going to be the "repo" crisis because of the idiotic "cash for suckers" program. Soon, this is going to cause the country to go further into a recession.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
If Phoenix is doing much better than Las Vegas, that does make Vegas look bad. I know a few people in the Phoenix area who own their own businesses. They all say that they are not doing too well.
I have a couple friends in Phoenix, and they have told me Phoenix has definitely been affected by the recession. I only meant that they have not been hit as hard as Vegas. Phoenix does not rely on tourism unlike Vegas.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes the whole national economy is doing poorly. But you are understating how bad Las Vegas is doing compared to the national average. Nevada ranks #3 in unemployment. If Las Vegas was a state it would rank #2 behind Michigan. Most states have jobless rates that are high yet significantly lower than Nevada. There are other economic factors such as foreclosure where Las Vegas ranks worst in the nation.

Lucky for me, I live in the top two states of something!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 AM

106 posts, read 222,957 times
Default A year from now.......Unemployment at 17%

The way its going, unemployment will continue to climb to 17%-20%. Crime WILL go through the roof. Every other home will be forclosed. The final straw, Nevada will #1 with the highest unemployment in the United States of America.

The good news; there are none for Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas