Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM

366 posts, read 1,212,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Sure Joe, the unemployment rate just went up to 13.8%. Business is booming LOL.
Was wondering how long it too for Debby Downder to chime in.

You need to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM

366 posts, read 1,212,847 times
*Downer

Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Was wondering how long it too for Debby Downder to chime in.

You need to go away.
You are a disrespectful person who needs to go away yourself if you ask me. I would be willing to peacefully debate with you if you would knock off with the personal attacks. I am not going away so give it up.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjohn3646 View Post
I have searched the internet for job opportunities in Las Vegas as I intend to move there this summer. I have found thousands of jobs available and seeking help. How can a city with so many people and so many job opportunities have such a high unemployment rate unless the seekers have burnt too many job bridges along the way or just not employable seekers( junkies, drunks, thieves, criminal records, and so on). If you are seeking employment then the jobs are available if you qualify to work them. If you are under qualified then maybe you should consider moving. As for over qualified, I feel that is an excuse used by people who want too much money to do the work they are seeking.
I'm not sure what's going on right this moment, but most of the unemployed in the beginning of the housing crash were construction workers, construction office workers, mortgage and real estate people, furniture dealers, building supply people, etc., etc.

Then the visitor volume dropped off because people all around the world were having the same problems. Hotels started reducing room rates, and had to cut back some people. Where a normal visitor count would be 38 million a year, it dropped to 36 million. That doesn't sound like much, but although the town looks crowded with tourists, and I still find myself waiting for a table at restaurants, people aren't spending as much apparently. Sales of everything has dropped off so retailers are laying off, and even closing stores. Banks aren't loaning money so those who would like to buy things like new homes, can't get a loan.

Also thanks to Hussein's stupid, thoughtless remarks about going to Las Vegas for conventions, some large conventions canceled. But I think we've overcome that by now, although it affected the bottom line enough to layoff some service employees, as well as all the convention workers. There are thousands of convention and banquet workers in Las Vegas. A very large percentage of them are ALWAYS on unemployment during slow times, but they work such long hours setting up and tearing down conventions all the time (nearly 4,000 a year), it's almost the only way they ever get a vacation.

So most of the UI has gone to anyone having to do with the housing market. But hotels are hurting as regards to visitor spending more so than because of occupancy. And because people either are afraid and are hanging on to their money, or they just don't have any for extras, sales are down. When people stop spending it causes a trickle down effect, but not in the good way G.H.W. Bush was talking about.

As for the term overqualified, it is not really an excuse, but it may be the wrong term as it places a stigma on the job seeker. I don't know what word to use, but it borders on discrimination. In many cases, maybe most, it is a euphemism for employers perceiving one as "too old". A lot of the time it means, "I know you won't be happy with what I'm willing to pay you." Whatever the correct word, it is a real thing. BUT, that said, when you are looking for a job you are in sales...you are selling yourself. And as any good salesman knows, any objection by the customer (employer) can be handled.

So the best way to get a job is to be the best salesman you can be. That means no matter what you do for a living, you'd better learn at least a few sales techniques. And for those who say they hate "sales" and don't want to learn it...get over yourself...or starve.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setnomacor View Post
Things are tough everywhere. Gimme a break. The recession will end as soon as people start believing or wanting to believe it is at an end. People enjoy complaining so much that may never happen. I hear the same crap about not getting a job here (Montana) also. I am a manager, and I can't get enough qualified people to commit to coming to work on time to get reliable people in even sales floor staff positions. Many people have an image of service people in their head of being not smart enough or good enough because it is not a job that requires education and skill. Many people feel they are above such jobs and make fun of others who have them and refuse to apply to them. These are also viewed as jobs that don't matter that you can just throw away. One thing these jobs require is tolerance of rude customers and guests. I have not known of anywhere here that has allowed much if any overtime, and 32 hours has been considered full time here for quite a few years. You people must have been spoiled down there. Most people here are making minimum wage, and not too long ago most were starting out at 6 or 6.50 per hour. I have seen jobs here requiring degrees that only paid 10 per hour, and this was before the recession started. Maybe its because Montana is pretty much used to living in a pseudo-recession constantly.
It's the same here from the employers point of view. No need to insult Nevada. When I worked for the state it wasn't easy helping employers find good help. There is so much "no call - no show" it makes you wonder what's going on. It's that way all over this country. I personally think it is an epidemic of apathy.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM

293 posts, read 641,647 times
LVD....I like reading your rants...Did the rate go up because of the 65,000 construction jobs lost last month...I can not remember the exact number that the Reveiw Journal posted, but that was most of it...I also agree that we do not need personal attacks on here...I for one can not wait to get back to Las Vegas, after 3 years away...Be there in May, een though my Aquatic Direc job just went bye bye at Henderson International, I know there are jobs and i can find one to get by for a year or so until things get going..

Old 03-12-2010, 06:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It's the same here from the employers point of view. No need to insult Nevada. When I worked for the state it wasn't easy helping employers find good help. There is so much "no call - no show" it makes you wonder what's going on. It's that way all over this country. I personally think it is an epidemic of apathy.
Whats going on is 99 weeks of unemployment that pays $390-430 a week cash. No one withholds for federal income tax so, its all cash. Basically the takehome pay of someone making $15 an hour.

So no one goes to work at lower paying jobs because it pays more to sit at home while someone else pays you.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Whats going on is 99 weeks of unemployment that pays $390-430 a week cash. No one withholds for federal income tax so, its all cash. Basically the take home pay of someone making $15 an hour.

So no one goes to work at lower paying jobs because it pays more to sit at home while someone else pays you.
I agree that UI has gotten a lot higher than I ever thought it would, but it's still not enough to live on. The idea that people like being on UI is a myth. At least for most people. There may be a few that don't want to work, and get by on UI without looking for work like they're supposed to, but when they get caught in an audit they will pay it all back. Normally they can only collect for 26 weeks max, but in times like these Congress has no choice but to extend benefits.

Still, UI is supposed to be a stipend to pay for gas so you can get out and find a job. Raising the weekly benefits too high, and having it go on forever is counterproductive IMO...unless I'm the one collecting of course.

I'm surprised that employers in this country haven't raised the roof over it. They are being ripped off and I don't complain loud enough.

In Nevada, employers pay an extra amount (I think it's ½ of 1%) for a program called the Claimant Employment Program (CEP). I was told that it is a "voluntary" program that employers asked for in order to guarantee a trained and ready workforce. Now, the CEP actually does a lot of good, but a lot of that money is being used for things other than what it was intended. If I was paying it, I'd want to know what it was being used for.

Many surveys show that losing one's job ranks about the same as a death in the family. Not many people enjoy being out of work. Most people, given a choice between collecting UI and working for the same amount of money, will choose working. Even though it's not charity, people think it is, and not many appreciate or want charity. The same people, who wouldn't think twice about turning in repairs for a car wreck, or doctor/hospital bills, to their insurance company, will put off filing for unemployment insurance out of pride.

But we all know someone who has bragged about sitting on their a$$ collecting UI for a long time. Those people are rare, and eventually they will be sorry they committed fraud. I know several of the investigators, and they love to catch those people and make them pay it all back. I know of no one who ever went to jail, but I know of many who had to return the money. I even know some who were put on probation by a judge, and had to show up every week with a check to pay back what they took, all while trying to get a job while on probation. Good luck with that.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:29 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Whats going on is 99 weeks of unemployment that pays $390-430 a week cash. No one withholds for federal income tax so, its all cash. Basically the takehome pay of someone making $15 an hour.

There might not be any tax withheld, but that doesn't mean there is no tax owed. Not clear if there will be a tax exemption on $2400 of UI this year either.

The problem with expecting people to take lower paying jobs is that employers want people who are committed to the jobs, plain and simple. My buddy was ordered to go interview for a $9/hour filing job to continue to be eligible. He told the lady he was capable of doing the work, but made it clear he was searching for something more appropriate for him (and closer to his $120,000 salary he lost when GM shut down dealers) and he would need to miss some hours here and there to interview. Of course she wasn't going to hire someone like that. What was the point of that whole exercise anyways?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setnomacor View Post
THings are tough everywhere. Gimme a break. THe recession will end as soon as people start beleiving or wanting to beleive it is at an end. People enjoy complaining so much that may never happen. I hear the same crap about not getting a job here (Montana) also. I am a manager, and I can't get enough qualified people to commit to coming to work on time to get reliable people in even salesfloor staff positions. Many people have an image of service people in thier head of being not smart enough or good enough because it is not a job that requires education and skill. Many people feel they are above such jobs and make fun of others who have them and refuse to apply to them. These are also viewed as jobs that don't matter that you can just throw away. One thing these jobs require is tolerance of rude customers and guests. I have not known of anywhere here that has allowed much if any overtime, and 32 hours has been considered full time here for quite a few years. You people must have been spoiled down there. Most people here are making minimum wage, and not too long ago most were starting out at 6 or 6.50 per hour. I have seen jobs here requiring degrees that only paid 10 per hour, and this was before the recession started. Maybe its because Montana is pretty much used to living in a psuedo-recession constantly.
As a fellow Montanan and owning a business there as well, I can attest that employment is allot different in Vegas which is where we have been living for the last 6 years. It doesn't matter where you live there will be people that don't want to work. However these are different times people are being laid off that have worked all their lives and are struggling to survive.

Las Vegas has allot larger employment base which most of the jobs are construction and service oriented. Montana is mostly rural with small towns that have some professionals, and service people move to Montana for the slower paced life style and out door life, Nothing wrong with that, but living in Montana has always had lower wages and higher property taxes because there isn't enough people to pay for the infrastructure.

Cost of living is allot more in Vegas than in Montana, I am a born and raised 4th generation Montana as is My husband we started our business in Montana over 20 yrs ago, we moved to Vegas because the type of work we do was out sourced over sea's. Most of our contracts were with the state of Montana. We loved Montana not the weather anymore, Vegas is great but right now it can be a ruff place to live with limited income of unemployment insurance if your lucky. There are allot of people that don't qualify for unemployment either.
Owning a business in Vegas is tough right now we are having trouble with clients that are either slow paying or not paying and these are large companies.
We still get calls from Montana for contract work from time to time,especially since they have found that out sourcing jobs to other countries were much more costly and the product was defective once they got it.
Unemployment may go down next month a little since there will be census workers hired witch could be a false positive.
These stats show where the largest job loss is and as you can see it's construction, leisure and hospitality and professional jobs, trade and transportation and utilities that took the biggest hits.
[IMG]http://media.lvrj.com/images/150*225/webXX_nv_employ_compare02.jpg[/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas