Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 PM

40 posts, read 106,452 times

Advertisements

What is better? Foreclose or Short Sale.

I spoke to my bank and they said: “There will be a collection account opened if I do a short sale.”
1. Can they come after my bank account?
2. I how will each affect my credit?

House is In Las Vegas.
I am lousing $800 a month. Can I buy a new home next year and pay for foreclosure insurance for less that $800?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 03:44 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,851,827 times
I'm certainly no expert, but what I've been told by various real estate agents I work with is that a short sale is a much better option than a foreclosure. Recent legislation has been passed that grants debt forgiveness so that you cannot be 1099'd for any deficiency and there will be no deficiency judgement. I've also been told that a short sale shows up on your credit as a balance settled, as if you negotiated with a credit card company to pay off the balance for less than you owe. If the information I've given you is true, I can't see how you would not be able to purchase a home in a year. FHA only requires that you be current and on time on all debt payments for the last 12 months. If a short sale does not show up as a charge off or foreclosure then it should not be an issue. I could be wrong though, as I usually just refer my upside down clients to real estate agents.

If, however, you do go the foreclosure route it will be a good 2-3 years before you can purchase another home. I also have never heard of foreclosure insurance.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad pad green View Post
What is better? Foreclose or Short Sale.

I spoke to my bank and they said: “There will be a collection account opened if I do a short sale.”
1. Can they come after my bank account?
2. I how will each affect my credit?

House is In Las Vegas.
I am lousing $800 a month. Can I buy a new home next year and pay for foreclosure insurance for less that $800?
Do you live in the house? Daddy laid it all out if you do. If you are an investor or it is a second home...different rules. Then you may well have to pay the bank some of the loss to get a short.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 PM

3,334 posts, read 1,967,704 times
Default deed in lieu?

any thoughts from realtors/agents/lenders on that route?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,016,929 times
how are you losing $800 a month, rent the darn thing!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:18 PM

40 posts, read 106,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
how are you losing $800 a month, rent the darn thing!
its is rented and Still losing $800 mo

Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad pad green View Post
its is rented and Still losing $800 mo
You can try for a short sale. It is however likely that the bank will demand some additional payment such as an unsecured note to cover part of the short fall. If you have been making the mortgage payments until now you will likely find it very difficult to reach any other outcome.

You can of course go to foreclosure. The bank just might come after you for a deficiency judgement. Generally not but they may if they suspect you have the money to pay one off. It will for certain rack up your credit for a few years.

All in all it may be better to pay the $10K per annum for a couple of years then see how things look.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 PM

444 posts, read 1,616,369 times
Maybe someone here can tell you what type of an attorney to contact. Sounds like a limited expense consultation would help your nerves. It must be stressful. It would help my stress level for sure, if I were in those circumstances. Good Luck

Old 12-08-2008, 12:26 PM

24 posts, read 79,226 times
There are few different routes you could take, but you will definitely want to stay out of foreclosure. You will not be able to buy another house for probably a minimum of 5 years, and you'd be lucky to get something within 7 years. A short sale to an investor might work (what size property is this, where is it located...I may be interested). A deed in lieu of foreclosure might work as well. It will keep the bank off of the property for a little bit as long as payments become current. Of course you would lose your property and not get anything for it. When in doubt call a foreclosure lawyer like Red Rock mentioned.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:38 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,851,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtown View Post
There are few different routes you could take, but you will definitely want to stay out of foreclosure. You will not be able to buy another house for probably a minimum of 5 years, and you'd be lucky to get something within 7 years. A short sale to an investor might work (what size property is this, where is it located...I may be interested). A deed in lieu of foreclosure might work as well. It will keep the bank off of the property for a little bit as long as payments become current. Of course you would lose your property and not get anything for it. When in doubt call a foreclosure lawyer like Red Rock mentioned.
3 years out of foreclosure for FHA, 5 years out for conventional. Lenders are considering shorts and deeds in lieu the same thing as foreclosures. The short sale or deed in lieu of FC will ease the hit on the credit score though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas