Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That is how you get all those funny stars? Pop around pointing out the stereotypical view to the unwashed who reward you for your ignorance?
Man, that was a good one, took the words right out of my mouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I did like the public transportation in some of the cities we've visited, especially the trains. But Las Vegas is larger in size than most of them, if not in population, and it's too late to put in trains here. At least according to Ex-Commissioner Woodbury. It's just not feasible to go under ground now. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago, but we didn't have any idea we'd grow this large. The powers that be see the ACE as the way we'll go. I don't think they are being realistic but what do I know?
Light rail will come to Las Vegas, you can bank on it! Underground, no!

Cities have egos just like people. And like people, who likes to be embarrased or shamed?

As other cities go full tilt into light rail (Dallas & Denver, as examples) and cities start bragging about how many miles of track they have laid down in their cities, setting off more and more competition, with enough eventual criticism from visitors, the time will come Las Vegas will have no choice!

Too spread out for Light Rail? Isn't that what every naysayer has said, city upon city, where they're now installing it today. Dallas, Phoenix, Mpls.-St. Paul (more spread out than Los Angeles) and even Denver. And even little old spread-out Tucson is starting a line, half the size of Las Vegas.

Another helpful factor: Americans are easily seduced by any expensive toy, and once addicted, more, more, more, more!

It will come, it will come, it will come, despite the ear-piercing screams of
the voters here!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-27-2009 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 04:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Nope. The great opportunity was blown when they lacked the guts to run the monorail down the middle of LV Blvd. That opportunity will not come again.

And I don't think you will ever see effective light or medium rail in Los Angeles or Las Vegas. LA will have a few installs but effective rail would cost vastly more than has already been invested in the freeway system.

The funny part is Los Angeles pulled reasonably effective light rail out in the 60s...

Old 10-28-2009, 04:10 PM

652 posts, read 2,712,335 times
I'd love to see a high speed rail connecting LA and LV. It's about time all this federal money is being considered for things other than more and wider highways. Diversified transportation options make so much more sense than 100 lane highways.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The funny part is Los Angeles pulled reasonably effective light rail out in the 60s...
I recall seeing a documentary about that. I think it was called "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I'd love to see a high speed rail connecting LA and LV. It's about time all this federal money is being considered for things other than more and wider highways. Diversified transportation options make so much more sense than 100 lane highways.
So true!

Excellent way to express it.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I drive through all that maddening construction on I15 North to work. It makes me sick to my stomach to see all that money being squandered there, in this day and age. This money could have been used to start a rail line from the M Resort in Henderson, down LV Blvd. right up to Cheyenne & Pecos at the Community College.

What surprises me is there's no one out there picketing these sites or taunting the workers. It's the humble bus riders (who will never use that freeway) that should be out there with their pickets everyday, being they increased the bus fares from $1.25 to $1.75 recently because of budget shortfalls.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Default Aw Comeon

This is silliness.

Successful rail transit requires a large set of people going where the rails go.

It is a lot easier if the rails are there first. Then people tend to plop where they can gain easy access to the rails. And companies tend to locate where the people can gain easy access.

But once you have a widely distributed housing and working pattern established? Nope.

I don't think it ever works save in high to very high density situations or where there is a natural bottle neck that funnels people through some common corridor. Peninsulas and narrow islands work well.

Vast areas of relatively low density? Does not compute. Note that in such a situation highways work just fine. If you have enough people and enough people miles you can do mass transit on them. But if the start point is diffuse...and the end point is diffuse...the good old automobile is king.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Isn't the Congress considering funding High Speed rail service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Isn't the Congress considering funding High Speed rail service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles?
Tell us more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas