Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times

Advertisements

I highly recommend avoiding the public auto auctions. I can not speak for the public auctions here, but I have to many in Phoenix. They basically sell junk cars at retail. As teach1234 said, you really cannot get a good deal at one. I would avoid car dealerships too, not because they are bad cars, but because they really mark up the prices to cover their overhead. Your best bet is to either...

a. Buy a car from a private party or

b. Contact airics, and see what he can do for you since he has a dealer's license. I remember him saying before that if someone is willing to pay him a small fee, he will go to the auction for you and get you a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,805 times
I just closed on a condo in Desert Shores last Friday. I was thinking of buying a car to leave down there and use when we visit 3-4 times a year. Is it worth it for me to have airics get one for me at auction or just rent a car each time I visit?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
how long do you stay each time you come here? and is it around peak times.... if its around peak times, you can spend $50-$60 day plus tax for the car.. so if you stay a week, 4 times a year, its $1600 a year. for $6000, you can be in a ragtop

Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
funny, you obviously went to a PUBLIC auction.. since you could not attend a real dealer auction......gee and if you knew the dealer auction, you would know that engine and transmissions come with a 7 or 14 day guarantee depending on the postsale the dealer chooses...

guess my 18yrs with a dealer license and my weekly attendance at Manheim Nevada trumps!

Airics is right.

Most dealers go to the dealer auctions where they have some insurance against bad transmissions, blown engines, and bent frames. Mannheim and the other major auction are straight shooters and require consignees to disclose any major flaws.

The public auctions that I have been to in SoCal are too "Wild West" for my tastes. They sell a LOT of pure junk.

I consign several cars a year to Mannheim.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I just closed on a condo in Desert Shores last Friday. I was thinking of buying a car to leave down there and use when we visit 3-4 times a year. Is it worth it for me to have airics get one for me at auction or just rent a car each time I visit?

How long are you planning to stay each visit?

If it is four one week stays, you would generally be better off renting. If it is four one MONTH stays, I would buy a vehicle and store it.

If you buy and store, will you keep it at your place and cab it to the airport? Or will you rent a rental shed near the airport?

I did that for a few years in SLC. It was relatively convenient ... until the mice invaded the car and nested in the engine compartment.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Quote:
I've struggled with that decision for a few months, although my circumstances are considerably different from yours. For instance, driving to Las Vegas is an option for me, as well as the fact that I bring a pet (cat) with me, which would add $75 each way on SWA.

Some things I've had to consider:

1) Town car to and from airport is $75 each way from my house including tip. The rental can be cheaper than the town car if your stay is short enough and you got a good deal on the rental.
2) Taxes on rental cars is insane - close to or over 50% now. I've been able to get a compact on Priceline for $18 a day, which was around $30/day after taxes, but if you had to pay say $49/day, that will end up being close to $80/day after taxes.
3) Don't forget the cost of insuring yet another car.
4) If you rent the car near your home rather than at the airport, you can save on the airport concession recovery fee. There might be other fees that don't apply if you rent off-airport.

Given that you know the frequency of your visits, it should be possible to determine the duration of your stay at which a rental and ownership cost the same.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,805 times
It's 18.5 hours for me to drive so I don't want to do that regularly. I will do it this Christmas as I'm bringing all my tools down to do some remodeling. I usually stay 4 days at a time, but I never owned my own place there before. So 3-5 times a year at 4 or 5 days at a time. It sounds like I should just rent and get on a program that give better rates for repeat customers. Especially considering what M B A is paying for a town car just to get to his place.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Quote:
I usually stay 4 days at a time, but I never owned my own place there before. So 3-5 times a year at 4 or 5 days at a time. It sounds like I should just rent and get on a program that give better rates for repeat customers.
Renting a car will be the less expensive option in your situation. I hate paying more than I have to (ok, I'm cheap) so I usually make a reservation just to be safe, then monitor prices and cancel and rebook if the price drops significantly. But bidding via Priceline is almost always significantly cheaper (40% off not unusual) if you know the dates well in advance.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Several ideas on reducing rental car costs:

1) Use the off brands - Fox and Payless are generlly off-airport and a lot cheaper.
2) Take a cab to the closest Enterprise/Hertz office and avoid all of the concession fees.
3) Shop early, shop often. Sometimes you "luck out" adn get a great rate. Alamo has been running some $10-20/ weekend days.
4) Priceline/Hotwire are great if your plans don't change.

For four or five trips, having a car just isn;t worth the hassle.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM

109 posts, read 500,815 times
Thanks, all this info has been helpful. Sounds like Manheim is the way to go. Airics I may be dropping you a DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas