Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,425 times

Advertisements

I
Quote:
have an old single speed pump on a 15,000 gallon pool (which will be replaced with a two speed or variable speed when it dies). Running it 6 hours a day seems to add around $70 a month. Ouch!

Absolutely right. We had the same size pool for 6 years. Running the pump 6-7 hours a day is $70. I know it because for some months in the summer the house was empty and the only power used was for the pool and sprinkler system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:32 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo the answer is.... "it depends"??? LOL

On a bunch of variables.... lol
Like I was saying, its about $70 per month for the common setup that I see out in the field. That's $70 in the summer months, and half that the rest of the year. (4 hours in the winter, 6 hours spring/fall, 8 hours summer). The intelliflo multi-speed pumps/motor are not that common, but they will be in the future when people start to replace their older 1 speed setups.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
but they will be in the future when people start to replace their older 1 speed setups.
In California, single-speed pumps have not been allowed for new construction and remodels since 1/1/2008. Starting on 1/1/2010, they will no longer be allowed for replacement either.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM

259 posts, read 705,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Raises an interesting question. Why not go to a two pump solution? A 2 or 3 HP pump parallel with a low hp running all the time?

Should have very low operating costs except when you run the big machine for actrually cleaning the pool.

Might well be cheaper than a variable speed.
Back in the old days we used a similar set up controlling blower wheel speed on our air handlers and cooling towers. Small motor for low speed, big motor for high speed.

And yes it was very efficient although it did make for crowed control panels.

We saw no change in electric bills on a month to month basis after converting existing equipment to single hi speed motor operation with a properly rated drive.

Maybe stone age technology ain't so bad after all.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,835 times
I've decided against the house with the pool but this is some great information to have none the less.

THANKS everyone!! Now if/when I do get a pool I will be well versed on 1 pump, 2 pump, old pump, new pump. LOL

Old 12-20-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
I've decided against the house with the pool but this is some great information to have none the less.

THANKS everyone!! Now if/when I do get a pool I will be well versed on 1 pump, 2 pump, old pump, new pump. LOL
Having a pool is a luxury, so if you think its out of your budget, then do not get a house with a pool. Your biggest worry is your summer A/C bill, since you will run that thing constantly for 4-5 months. Check the other threads for that discussion.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
In California, single-speed pumps have not been allowed for new construction and remodels since 1/1/2008. Starting on 1/1/2010, they will no longer be allowed for replacement either.
I wonder how they could regulate that? What is someone's motor dies, are they going to have to replace the whole pump and motor with a multi-speed? what is to stop them from just going and getting a motor online? or having the existing motor rebuilt? How about pools with negative edge layouts and water features?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I wonder how they could regulate that? What is someone's motor dies, are they going to have to replace the whole pump and motor with a multi-speed? what is to stop them from just going and getting a motor online? or having the existing motor rebuilt? How about pools with negative edge layouts and water features?
It only applies to "circulation" pumps, so you wouldn't have to have one on your water feature. While Googling for details on the law I read this: It takes six power plants to supply the electricity for just the swimming pools in California. That sounds insane, but (ignoring power factor) 2000 watts x 1.5M pools = 3 GW, so that is six 500 MW power plants.

I'd guess you'd be required to sign a form stating you weren't going to use a motor for one of the prohibited uses if you buy online. Or the online retailers may be required to just stop shipping single-speed motors to CA addresses. Given that the highest tiers of PG&E and Southern California Edison are over 3x Nevada Energy rates, a variable-speed pump pays for itself and starts saving you money that much faster.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
It only applies to "circulation" pumps, so you wouldn't have to have one on your water feature. While Googling for details on the law I read this: It takes six power plants to supply the electricity for just the swimming pools in California. That sounds insane, but (ignoring power factor) 2000 watts x 1.5M pools = 3 GW, so that is six 500 MW power plants.

I'd guess you'd be required to sign a form stating you weren't going to use a motor for one of the prohibited uses if you buy online. Or the online retailers may be required to just stop shipping single-speed motors to CA addresses. Given that the highest tiers of PG&E and Southern California Edison are over 3x Nevada Energy rates, a variable-speed pump pays for itself and starts saving you money that much faster.
Thats interesting.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 PM

I wanted to revive this thread because I wanted to give those who want information on how you can save with a variable speed pool pump such as the Pentair Intelliflo. Once installed and calibrated you will get a $100 rebate from NV energy. If your looking to save money and you need to replace your old pool pump/motor, DM me and I will give you all the information you need. You can also go to youtube and search for "pentair intelliflo" variable speed pump there are videos that show how much you can save on your power bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas