Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 69,023 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for or hoping to meet a few dog owners in the area that are part of a dog club. I've been hoping to be part of a dog club since I moved to Vegas from Michigan about a year ago.

We had a club locally that used to meet every other week in the evenings. I'd definitely like to set one up if there isn't anything around here.

Nothing big, just 9 or 10 owners once every other week just to keep it low pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:39 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,324,665 times
That's interesting. What do you do in a dog club?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
Sounds like a good thing to do. Do you mean a club for dog lovers, or a club for a certain breed? What does one do at a dog club meeting? Back east I knew people with hunting dogs that would have field trials. Lots of fun to watch the dogs work. We have Lhasa Apsos. Believe it or not, they are supposed to be a close relative to the wolf. I'm still trying to get my head around that. Can't imagine them hunting for anything, but they do have a pack mentality.

Maybe you can find what you're looking for here: Las Vegas, NV Meetup Groups - Meetup.com

Old 12-27-2009, 09:56 PM

110 posts, read 235,536 times
I`d like to put a topping on your suggestions and perhaps one, or the other, may see this as a positive solution to the situation:

If the City of Las Vegas (and North Las Vegas)would fence in and donate a 3rd of one of their Parks as a daytime playground refuge for dogs, being managed and watched over by volunteering vets or qualified vet personnel, or real dog lovers who are capable of handling emergency situations, the dogs would be amongst other dogs most of the day enjoying social contact with their species, not barking all the time and would, at the end of the day, surely sleep sound through the night.

I have seen this being practiced in a European country. The areal was approximately 3 acres and it was so enjoyable, watching the dogs playing with each other. Not once did the dogs attack or bite another dog, they have their own way to communicate with each other.
Sitting on the side of the fence was a professional vet and an emergency dog ambulance (just in case) who was telling me that he and other vets in the City are volunteers, each spending 1 day a week AT NO CHARGE to watch over the many dogs until their owners pick them up after work.

The owners are not required to pay for this, only donations when possible. This way the poorer dog owners were able to take advantage of the day care service as well.

In LV, this could also be an inspiration toward helping some of the homeless. They could surely assist in such a project which has many aspects of things to do.

The dog owners, the vet or person in charge of the compound during the day, the homeless - who are blessed with the possibility of being able to play with the dogs but can`t afford their own, and many kids & teenagers who just love being with the dogs. They all contribute toward the cleanliness and hygiene of the Areal.
The minute a dog poops, there is already someone there to pick it up and dispose of it properly.

It`s the way of thinking in the people who make things like this possible!!file:///C:/Users/Bonnie/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif (broken link)

It`s not only social for the dogs but also for the human beings who go there and creates a positive environment without drugs, guns and criminal activity. Especially the youth have a positive experience and want to get involved in this.
If everyone would want to get involved in this kind of solution, the problem would surely soon be solved, not only for the dogs sake!

I just wish some City official out there gets the message and takes an initiative to get this concept into discussion.

The dog is man`s best friend - Help each other and you`ll also help yourself!

Send an email suggestion to: Las Vegas, Nevada (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)

Old 12-28-2009, 05:13 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
or is this a club that dogs join?.[like a FWD club or the boy/girl scouts]....I suggested that to my Eskimo and she declined.....she didn't wanna leave her wamr bed.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
I was in a tropical fish club in junior high school...and it was very boring. The only reason I stuck with it was because I was the treasurer.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,875,290 times
I suggest you make your own out of a dense hardwood like maple. 24" long would be ideal, about the size and shape of a kid's baseball bat.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
My grandfather was a cop in the early 1900's. I have his old lead-filled billy club. That seems to keep the pooch in line. It makes a great dog club.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM

24 posts, read 69,023 times
It's dog match club, where we have matches between the dogs in different contests. Races, swimming, dueling etc. Mostly larger dogs, such as german shepherds and pittbulls.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
ahhh kinda like dog fightin huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas