Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
there is no carpet law in nevada... read your post from the beginning

Actually I believe there is a law on the books in NV making a tenant not responsible for damage to a carpet thats over 7 years old and can not prorated for damage as an excuse to hold on to the rental deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Actually I believe there is a law on the books in NV making a tenant not responsible for damage to a carpet thats over 7 years old and can not prorated for damage as an excuse to hold on to the rental deposit.
There isn't. Nevada's statutes concerning landlord-tenant law is contained in NRS 118, 118A, 118B, and 118C. Residential tenancies are affected by 118 and 118A. The statutes don't go into what is "normal wear and tear," only that the deposit can't be held for it.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
Having relocated from CA as a renter, I can report that regardless of the law, the LL can charge the tenant, not change it out, etc. There are so many laws in CA the dept of housing can only deal with the most serious. For example, if someone who is renting on the second floor has a stroke, he/she is entitled to move into the next available apt. on the first floor. They can't rush the other tenant out and the stroke victim may have to pay a couple of extra months rent.

CA can just not enforce the laws on the books, and the LL know that.

So, in a way, it is like NV. Depends on the ethics of the tenants and the LL.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 PM

261 posts, read 235,079 times
Sorry but CA does not have a carpet change law, I own properties in both states.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 504 times
What is the tenants responsibility for damages to the carpet in Nevada? What’s the calculations for LL cost and tenant’s cost?

Old 11-07-2021, 10:31 AM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunybyrd View Post
What is the tenants responsibility for damages to the carpet in Nevada? What’s the calculations for LL cost and tenant’s cost?
Tenant is liable for everything beyond ordinary wear and tear.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:16 PM

441 posts, read 440,006 times
I live in Oregon. The last place we lived in, we were there 12 years they didn't change the carpet or paint while we were still there. Obviously that would be a very difficult task. The place before that we lived there 9 years and same thing.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:01 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Just wondering if the OP was able to get the carpet changed after nearly 12 years. Also wonder if they ever figured out their “caps lock” button was on.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:43 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
A good landlord, regardless of the location, will take some of their rental earnings and set it aside for cosmetic repairs such as paint, carpeting and light fixtures (if needed).

A cheapskate or novice landlord will not.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:32 PM

390 posts, read 379,847 times
I have lived in my house for 11+ years as well. The carpet was not new when we moved in. After about 4 years the LL said we could have new flooring or new backyard landscaping (was dirt). At the time my husband hade cancer and could not handle a lot of activity in the house and he liked to sit outside on the patio so we chose landscaping. During those first few years we had 2-3 floods. Nothing we did, it was faulty plumbing. LL brought in huge fans to dry it out. Seemed OK except in the dining room it has separated from the wall slightly and throughout the house is bunching in some spots.

After my husband passed LL again asked if I wanted new flooring. I was not in the place to have people in my house. I was in a dark place after he passed. About a year later, our smallest dog got sick and while in her crate, actually dug out the bottom of the crate and through to the carpet pad. She was trying to get outside (imagine the worst and that's what it was). We almost lost her but she's a strong little thing.

Last time I cleaned it some of it actually tore. Anyway, the I am afraid to clean it again after that. So now I am wondering the same, when I move, will he take the cost of new carpet out of my deposit even though he's offered a couple times to replace it? I've been an excellent tenant, never late- oh I think once a few days when hubby was sick- and take care of the property in general.

ETA he is a DYI-er in every sense of the word. Tree blew down in the backyard and instead of paying someone to come right it up and replant it, he trimmed it all back. Those branches are on the side of the house and the tree is now growing again- sideways. Granted he was very sick (almost died) and in the hospital at the time (a year ago) but it's all still there.

In June, the tiles in my shower kind of caved in a bit. He came out, tore them out and the area was damp- so yep- another leak. Now, I know labor is hard to find these days, and things are way more expensive, but he said he could do it. It's STILL not done. He admits he bit off more than he could chew and now it's been 5 months with no shower (we have a 2bd bathroom). I pray to God nothing else goes wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas